6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2013 12:25 PM by John Mensinger

How to disable quick selection?

n16k

Hi, i can only find the quick selection tool. What i really need is the selection tool that only selects what you want it to and not everything around it.

where can i find this?

Thanks

Nick

• 1. Re: How to disable quick selection?
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Photoshop has many selection tools and quick mask mode where you can paint selections. The Marquee tools, the Lasso tools, Magic wand tool, Refine edge, Color Range, Pen tool.

• 2. Re: How to disable quick selection?
            Curt Y Level 7

You can right click on the tool icon to select various optoins.

• 3. Re: How to disable quick selection?
              c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

What i really need is the selection tool that only selects what you want it to and not everything around it.

Could you please post a screenshot of an exemplary image to illustrate the issue?

Your statement seems a bit vague to me – are you talking geometric selections or selections based on distinct image content?

• 4. Re: How to disable quick selection?
                n16k Level 1

Basically when i use the circular selectrion tool i want it to select only what the circle covers, not around that circle. so for example, if i use the quick selection tool and select the moon from a night shot, i want it to only select what i highlight not a load of pixles that it thinks is the edge around it?

on one of the older photoshops if you right clicked the selection button you could chose between quick selection and just normal selection. where is this normal selection button?

• 5. Re: How to disable quick selection?
                  JJMack Most Valuable Participant

You want to select a circle?

The elliptical marquee tools will do that if you hold down the shift key the selection will be constrain to a circle. If you hold down the alt key at the same time you can start where you want the center of the circular selection to be. The selection will expand from that point.

• 6. Re: How to disable quick selection?
                    John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

n16k wrote:

Basically when i use the circular selectrion tool i want it to select only what the circle covers, not around that circle. so for example, if i use the quick selection tool and select the moon from a night shot, i want it to only select what i highlight not a load of pixles that it thinks is the edge around it?

on one of the older photoshops if you right clicked the selection button you could chose between quick selection and just normal selection. where is this normal selection button?

You may be mixing and/or confusing terms here. The "circular selection tool" (Elliptical Marquee Tool) and the "quick selection tool" are two different things.

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

To avoid long explanations of how those work, I'll go right to what I suspect your problem is:

Based on your description, you're using the elliptical marquee tool, and not getting a hard-edged selection. The most common cause of that is you've got a feather value "stuck" in the marguee selection tools' settings. Put it back to 0.

Untitled-3.jpg

It has nothing to do with "quick selection."