5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 15, 2013 8:16 AM by the_wine_snob RSS

Weird disappearing audio...help?

GORY Pumpkin

I'm working on a vampire short film and while each of my projects that have individual scenes that only stretch out to about 4-5 minutes each, when I render the clips into my timeline to edit them ALL BUT TWO clips have their audio and this has been happening to each project I open and even when I re-enter the same footage to the timeline on the same project or individual project the video is there but there is not audio. The said clips with no audio work perfectly when I play them in a media player and such, could someone help me find away to fix this audio problem?

• 1. Re: Weird disappearing audio...help?
          nealeh Community Member

Open your clip in GSpot or MediaInfo and post a screenshot. That will tell us the audio codec details of those clips.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: Weird disappearing audio...help?
            nealeh Community Member

I think that's an MPEG4 file in an AVI wrapper. PRE (and PrPro) used to have problems with that and I don't know if they have been resolved in the more recent versions.

Try renaming the file extension to .mp4 before importing to PRE and see if that makes any difference. Otherwise you might want to try the solution suggested on the PrPro forum here.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Weird disappearing audio...help?
              GORY Pumpkin Community Member

Hey nealeh,

I did the .mp4 thing, it didn't work.

I went to the link you posted about Colin Brougham's post of how to fix this problem:

1. Download the latest 32-bit static build of FFmpeg from here: Zeranoe FFmpeg - Builds
              2. Open the archive; you'll probably need 7-Zip since the archive is a .7z file. Extract the ffmpeg.exe file in the archive (it's in the "bin" folder) to the folder containing your AVIs.
              3. Create a text document (Notepad is fine) called "avi2mp4.bat" (no quotes) in the same folder as the AVIs, making sure to change the default TXT extension to BAT.
              4. Paste the following into the BAT file:
                @ECHO OFF
                for %%a in (*.avi) do ffmpeg -i "%%a" -vcodec copy -acodec copy -f mp4 -y "%%~na".mp4
              5. Once you save the BAT file, double-click it; your AVIs will be rewrapped to MP4s without any conversion. The MP4s will correctly import into Premiere Pro.

Here's what happened, I did what he said and downloaded the video converter thing he linked and also the 7-Zip, and I made the BAT file and I didn't know what I was suppose to do with the converter and the 7-zip thing.

I put it all in the folder that had all my clips to convert or whatever.

I failed to tell you I'm not as much of a tech guy and I have a hard time figuring out where to put what and I apologize if the answer is infront of me I just couldn't convey it the right way i suppose. Care to walk me through this?

• 5. Re: Weird disappearing audio...help?
                the_wine_snob Community Member

For the folder structure, you will want to create a New Folder (named so that you can find it easily), then Copy the Extracted converter, plus your newly created BAT file into that folder, along with your media files - everything in one folder. Personally, I always work with Copies of media files, when doing almost anything, so that the originals are never touched. With the media files, the Extracted converter and your BAT, all in one folder, just dbl-click on the BAT. Everything should just process.

Good luck,

Hunt