2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 11, 2013 12:29 AM by bookie56 RSS

copy section of a gradient across x-axis

bookie56 Community Member

Hi folks!

Seen this done in photoshop but not illustrator. I have created two images that have gradients applied to them and want to join them together with the gradients.

I can't stretch the image because the lighter gradient follows and I just want that on the outside edges of both as shown in the image.

In effect - i want to take a small slice of the darker gradient and continue it on the x-axis to the other image without distorting the gradient effects.

Has anyone any ideas on this one?

bookie56copying gradients.png

• 1. Re: copy section of a gradient across x-axis
          [scott] Community Member

Just fill the middle section with the dark color.

Or create one object with the gradient you want.

Snap_008.png

Gradients in Illustrator aren't "baked in" they way they are in png or other raster formats. There's no need to copy and duplicate sections.

• 2. Re: copy section of a gradient across x-axis
            bookie56 Community Member

Hi scott w!

Doh! God I wasn't thinking outside of the box....in English terms I was a plonker....lol

Thank you so much for getting me thinking again...

I am just testing colours at the moment and that was an obstacle I needed to sort...

I laid a rectangle on top of the two shapes and then joined them which obviously ruined the gradient, but I added the stops as you pointed out and everything is all right  with copying gradients1.pngthe  world again...