7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2013 7:30 AM by c schatzman

Need help adjusting colors in  Photoshop (CS2)

c schatzman

I'm not a neither a novice nor a pro when it comes to Photoshop. (Just somewhere in-between) . . . So don't understand why  I''m suddenly having problems with colors in my photos looking accurate  on my canera, but almsot  completely red and yellow in Photoshop. Initially though the camera was at fault, until I switched cameras  and still had the same problem, so figured itmust be  Photoshop.

Since  Photoshop CS2 has all the features I need,  I've never bothered to upgrade. . . which turned out to be a problem when I tried to follow the instructions for creating  new adjustment layers. (Was OK until I reached the last step, when  my menus were different than  those in the guide.) Have spent  most of the last 2 days trying to manipulate all the options  under the Image Adjustment menu, but am running our of patience and luck.

The problem seems to have been increasing in recent  weeks (or months), but this is the first time I've been absolutely stumped and unable to  come up with a usable solution.

• 1. Re: Need help adjusting colors in  Photoshop (CS2)
          Curt Y Level 7

What OS?  What type of image?  How do the look in Bridge?

• 2. Re: Need help adjusting colors in  Photoshop (CS2)
            c schatzman Level 1

Hi, Curt. Thanks for responding.

OS is X.4.11.

And to be honest,  it didn't even occur  to me to view it in Bridge; (mainly because I never use it).

Since I noticed earlier today that it's still around, I guess I was mistaken, but thought I read years ago that Adobe had abandoned it. Then again, I've also never really missed it, because until now, PhotosShop has served all my needs.

I don't understand why color adjustments suddenly have become a problem. If I did,  I might at least be able to figure out a work-around.

• 3. Re: Need help adjusting colors in  Photoshop (CS2)
              c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Could you please post a screenshot to illustrate the issue?

which turned out to be a problem when I tried to follow the instructions for creating  new adjustment layers.

The Adjustments and Appearance Panels are younger than CS2, but is the CS2 Help not on the original medium?

Someone recently posted this link, maybe it applies here.

http://www.gballard.net/psd/colorlooksbad.html

• 4. Re: Need help adjusting colors in  Photoshop (CS2)
                c schatzman Level 1

It looks like shutting down my Mac with the power button created more problems than just highlightimng. I've spent the last 15 minutes trying to capture a screenshot (using both command/shift/3 and command/shift/4) and neither works.

Can only imagine what else has been corrupted.

• 5. Re: Need help adjusting colors in  Photoshop (CS2)
                  c schatzman Level 1

Thanks. But it looks like in all my frustration, I wasn't  sure  my original call for help had posted, so must have  submitted the same question again.

But I just had a new thought on the problem. While reviewing a story I received from another website,  I noticed that the photos attached to the article  looked  a lot like  what I described  in my  message. It made me wonder if I have a software problem at all . . . or if it's the screen on my Mac that needs recalibration!

It only took 2 minutes to find a website that discussed it — with sample screens to help determine if that was what I'm dealing with. Since a screen supposedly showing a mix of numbered, grey boxes looked totally white to me and I could only see the white numbers on a screen that supposedly contained boxes in varying shades of black, I think I might be on the right track. Just not sure, since I had to reach the bottom of the page before spotting the pitch for a product that supposedly will recalibrate  for me. I'm not sure I want to tackle recalibration on my own, but may call the Mac Geniuses at our local mall  and see  if my hunch is right . . .and if so, what they would charge to do it for me.

BTW, if it sounds like a calibration problem, do you think moving my computer  from one desk top another (just 5 feet away) could have caused it? I'm not sure, since it wasn't on my mind at the time, but I think that's roughly when I first started to notice discrepancies in color.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Need help adjusting colors in  Photoshop (CS2)
                    Curt Y Level 7

There are a number of websites that have monitor color calibration charts for free.  While not as precise as a hardware puck system it would tell you if you have a problem.  Here is one http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ for LCD monitor.

• 7. Re: Need help adjusting colors in  Photoshop (CS2)
                      c schatzman Level 1

PS: I just skimmed thru that article you recommended. Haven't  digested the whole thing  yet, but can already see that I probably hit the nail on the head myself. Those photos midway down the page are exactly what you would have seen if I had been able to capture a screenshot.(i.e., mostly red and yellow images with dark blue and black shadows).

Thanks for your help in confirming the probable source of my  problems.!!