12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2013 8:43 AM by ECBowen

GTX 680 vs GTX Titan MPE Performance difference in cs6

mahinthan5

GTX Titan is avaialble here. Have any one tried benchmarking it? How it will performing compare to the GTX 680 the  present best card? I found reading on  another thread a MVP assuming will be 30-40% faster. But when considering the 6GB memory won't it give more performance?

And also let me know do we get any more performance increase by using 4GB 680 instead of 2GB 680? is that performance diffrence noticialbe?

• 1. Re: GTX 680 vs GTX Titan MPE Performance difference in cs6
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Current facts: It is generally available for prices around $ 1000. The specs are impressive, apart from the clock speed.

Current suppositions: My personal view is that it could be 30 - 40% faster than a 680 as I stated in another post, which you obviously read.

Benchmark results: There is only one entry with the Titan in our benchmark and that is not telling us anything, since the conditions under which it was performed differed widely from earlier test results. This one entry has very nice results, but still does not do better on the MPE render test than a GTX 480.

My suggestion: Wait a bit for more news about this card to emerge before you decide to pay this kind of money for a video card.

General advise: Have a look at Where to spend $$$

It is easy to spend a large amount of $$$ on a video card, but when one is wise, the amount spent must be 'balanced' to the total system. IMO the only systems possibly worth a Titan card are overclocked i7 hexa cores or dual Xeon E5-2687+ systems with 64+ GB memory and a very, very nice disk setup with a dedicated raid controller. In all other cases it is overkill and you will not benefit from the expenditure.

Just my $ 0.02

• 2. Re: GTX 680 vs GTX Titan MPE Performance difference in cs6
            lasvideo Level 4

I certainly agree with your advice about waiting. It sure seems to be a possible boon to my computer. which you just about described to a T.

• 3. Re: GTX 680 vs GTX Titan MPE Performance difference in cs6
              mahinthan5 Level 1

Harm Millaard I'm not going to buy it.. I was just wondering.

But i really want to buy a card in my budget. I checked in PPBM7 GTX 660 has good MPE gain. It fit my budget and also the powersupply. But i didn't see GTX 660Ti on that list. I am wondering may be tha gain retain by the Ti version. For Ti version i don't think my PSU can support. I don't want to overstress it. But how come GTX 660 or Ti had good gain than GTX 670?

• 4. Re: GTX 680 vs GTX Titan MPE Performance difference in cs6
                Harm Millaard Level 7

The data on the PPBM7 site are pulled from the PPBM5 database, and when I set that database up and made the queries for PPBM5, I had not foreseen this need. So all GTX 660 cards do include a number of GTX 660 Ti cards as well.

That is why we want to use Speccy in the future, to get more detailed info in a consistent way.

• 5. Re: GTX 680 vs GTX Titan MPE Performance difference in cs6
                  mahinthan5 Level 1

Can you answer me?
                  How does GTX 660 have more gain than GTX 670?
                  GTX 670 has cores,bandwith better than GTX 660

• 6. Re: GTX 680 vs GTX Titan MPE Performance difference in cs6
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Gain = (Render time in software mode) / (Render time in hardware mode).

The slower the system, the higher the gain, because the render time in software mode is very long.  That is why I said:

CAVEAT: A higher gain value does not by definition mean better. It can be influenced by a slower CPU, single processor and/or slower memory. Average render speed may be a better indicator of performance.

The GTX 670 is more a high-end card than the GTX 660, so it makes sense that you will see the 670 in more high-end systems and the 660 in more middle of the road systems and that is the reason the gain for a 660 can be higher than the gain for a 670.  As an example:

System

Software

Render time

Hardware

Render time

Gain
                    Hi-end system, GTX 67048 seconds4 seconds12.0 x
                    Mid-level system, GTX 66096 seconds6 seconds16.0 x

Hope this explains why interpreting 'Gain' is difficult and why average render time may be a better indicator.

• 7. Re: GTX 680 vs GTX Titan MPE Performance difference in cs6
                      mahinthan5 Level 1

Now i understand. But even in render time installed System is a factor. isn't it?

• 8. Re: GTX 680 vs GTX Titan MPE Performance difference in cs6
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Yes, it is. Remember that rendering in hardware mode depends very much on the speed with which frames can be transferred from regular memory to the GPU to VRAM and back to regular memory. The basic ingredients here are the amount of RAM, number of cores and the clock speed.

• 9. Re: GTX 680 vs GTX Titan MPE Performance difference in cs6
                          mahinthan5 Level 1

Tanks you were so helpfull about the MPE doubts in this forum
                          http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CS6-GPU-Acceleration-162/
                          I found this article and this make me wonder all cards have simler perfomance when tested in same PC

• 10. Re: GTX 680 vs GTX Titan MPE Performance difference in cs6
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Not completely true. Bill has tested our new MPEG2-DVD timeline, which is a single AVCHD 1080i/29.97clip with a number of effects like fast color correction, brightness & contrast, 3 way color correction, gaussian blur, gamma correction and speed adjustments and a duration of 2;39;04.

Exporting to MPED2-DVD with the preset NTSC 23.976 Widescreen high quality and MRQ turned on, Bill tested this on his i7-2600K, (OC) 4.4, 32 GB memory and the project on 2 Samsung 840 Pro SSD's in raid0, he found the following results:

Video card performance.

Just using two of Bill's observations plus his i7-960X system and my own gives these summary results:

System

Harware

Render time

Software

Render time

Gain
                            BillG i7-2600K and GTX 680 OC31 seconds (5.1 x RT)870 seconds28.1 x
                            BillG i7-2600K and GTX 68035 seconds (4.5 x RT)870 seconds24.9 x
                            BillG i7-960X and GTX 680 OC ?30 seconds (5.3 x RT)556 seconds18.5 x

Harm's Monster and GTX 680 OC

24 seconds (6.6 x RT)436 seconds18.2 x

Here CUDA acceleration is severely tested, since there is scaling, blurring and frame blending going on. Note that the faster a system is, the lower the gain, but also the impact of a faster system on the results in hardware render time.

PS. Matt said it in his introduction, he tested with the PPBM6 file as it existed at that moment and since then it has been changed drastically. In addition Matt used the Total Time score for his comparison where the RPI score would have been better. The Disk I/O test is completely irrelevant when testing hardware acceleration, H.264-BR is largely irrelevant, it mostly is all about the MPEG2-DVD test and - at that moment at least - the rendering test.

• 11. Re: GTX 680 vs GTX Titan MPE Performance difference in cs6
                              mogavideo1313

Hello Everyone. Yes i tired both cards GTX670 and GTX Titan. What i notice there is no difrence in performance but ya there is difrence in price. I am using 3.5GHZ Intel Quad Core 4th Genreation with 16Gb Ram 2400MHZ.

• 12. Re: GTX 680 vs GTX Titan MPE Performance difference in cs6
                                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Since GPU acceleration is a pipeline and the CPU the starting point, the CPU decides how much a GPU will be pushed with data. A Quad Core CPU wont push either card that much especially the Titan.

Eric

ADK