2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2013 12:38 PM by Ashish Todon

Trim

community help Level 1
        • 1. Re:  Trim
          PhillipSenn Level 1

What is the definition of a control character?

I would like to see an example that uses a loop that goes through the whole ASCII character set and outputs if the result of Trim(X) is different from X.

• 2. Re:  Trim
            Ashish Todon Level 1

What is the definition of a control character?

Ans: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_character

AND I tested

<cffile action="read" file="#expandpath('test.txt')#" variable="test" >

<cfoutput>#len(test)#</cfoutput>                                               // gives length:14

<cfoutput>#len(trim(test))#</cfoutput>                                       // gives length:12   

my input was : (ashishtondon and 2 times enter, 1 2 3 represents line number of my editor)

1 ashishtondon

I would like to see an example that uses a loop that goes through the whole ASCII character set and outputs if the result of Trim(X) is different from X.

<cfoutput>

<cfset get_array = ArrayNew(1)/>

<cfloop index="i" from="0" to="127">

<cfset with_out_trim = Chr(i) />

<cfset with_trim = trim(Chr(i)) />

#with_out_trim#                                                             // showing character value

<cfif compareNoCase(with_out_trim,with_trim) neq 0>

<cfset arrayAppend(get_array,i)/>                                  //if with_out_trim is not equal to with_trim append index to the array  

</cfif>

</cfloop>

</cfoutput>

<cfdump var="#get_array#">       // I dumped array i found from 1 to 32 all ASCII chars x are not equal with trim(x)