34 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2013 1:23 PM by Peter Spier

CP1252 Txt, and Other issues

PatchyToes

Hi all, before you say it: Yes, I have seen the other threads

Version: Indesign CS4, with latest updates.(it's crashed with and without these applied)
      Operating System: XP sp 3, freshly reformatted and updated

Issue: Indesign installs fine, updates fine, then after 1-2 uses crashes. It used to crash and require reinstall for different reasons before the reformat, now it just gives : "missing required file cp1252.txt"  and needs reinstall.

- If I try and uninstall in Add/Remove, it says it's already uninstalled.
      - If I run the suite cleaner, it says that nothing is there

- Adobe is still clearly there in the files.
      - This is installed on another computer fine.(win 7 I believe)

Before the reformat, it was the liscencing that was breaking. The same results happened above for it, now it's something else.

questions:
      - Does 32 or 64 bit versions has anything to do with this. I do not have a Program Files(x86) folder, being an older PC, so it all goes into the same place..

- Is this a conflict with other adobe products (only other install other than what was on the indesign CD is reader and flash plugins for browsers) or is this just a metter of moving the files to the proper location?

- what's the legality of lighting adobe HQ on fire?

- Is this just my bad luck, or is it I'm one of the only handful of people that runs these programs fine on an older computer/OS?

This is very frustrating, because I've sunk over 12 hours last week (most of it on hold) with Adobe Customer support, and now all of a sudden they say they stopped supporting Cs4. GAH! And I run a weekly local newspaper, and this is really bumming me out.
      Thanks in advance forum heros!

Similar Threads:
      http://forums.adobe.com/message/1318199#1318199
      http://forums.adobe.com/message/3218720#3218720

• 1. Re: CP1252 Txt, and Other issues
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

On XP it would install in Program Files...

Have you run a Windows search to see if CP1252.txt is actually there? It out to be in the Adobe\Common files\Type Support directory, I believe.

• 2. Re: CP1252 Txt, and Other issues
            PatchyToes Level 1

Fast response! Thank you.

Reader 11.0 folder has the file in:
            C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Resource\TypeSupport\Unicode\Mappings\win

I tried what one of the other threads suggested: Copying the file file to a folder: I created typesupport\unicode and put it in there. No luck.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\typesupport\unicode\mappings\win

• 3. Re: CP1252 Txt, and Other issues
              Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

- what's the legality of lighting adobe HQ on fire?

- Is this just my bad luck, or is it I'm one of the only handful of people that runs these programs fine on an older computer/OS?

- depends on jurisdiction, I suppose but in the jurisdiction of Adobe headquarters, the local constabularly will seriously frown on your bonfire.

- bad luck, I think. I had no problems for many years of WinXP/CS4 usage.

I tried what one of the other threads suggested: Copying the file file to a folder: I created typesupport\unicode and put it in there. No luck.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\typesupport\unicode\mappings\win

Is that a typo on your part? It ought to go in

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\TypeSupport\Unicode\Mappings\Win

I'm curious about what else is on your machine - it can't be much after a full format/reinstall. I am not sure, from what you wrote it could be that there isn't anything on the machine at all but InDesign and Adobe Reader, but I can also read it as if your only Adobe software installed were those things. It's rare, but sometimes unexpected and seemingly completely unrelated programs (e.g. an online banking app) are known to interfere with InDesign.

How are you installing? From a DVD, or from a download?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: CP1252 Txt, and Other issues

Didn't seem to work inthe other thread, either.

Maybe a missing registry entry?

Seems like running the clean tool and reinstalling helpped at least one user. CS Cleaner Tool for installation problems | CCM, CS6, CS5.5, CS5, CS4, CS3

• 5. Re: CP1252 Txt, and Other issues
                  PatchyToes Level 1

I actually missed putting it in adobe.... lets try that.
                  Well... good news and bad...

Good news is I was silly and missed putting it in adobe folder.....

Bad news: I'm back to the original problem/error code before that adobe couldn't help me even with their 9 step help document.... changing file permissions....

Error Code 3: Require a restart before it will work.

Will try rebooting as it requested, but I got this funny feeling I'm not going to like the results.
                  Will share results in 5-10 min.

• 6. Re: CP1252 Txt, and Other issues
                    PatchyToes Level 1

Nope, now it just says requires a restart.with error Code 3.

I guess I can try doing a reinstall now, and then recopy those folders?
                    But, still the weird issue that the cleaner tool and add/Remove doesnn't seem to think Adobe Indesign is installed. That bothers me.

List of Programs I can think of I installed
                    - Avast AntiVirus-

- Line 6 Sound Card Driver
                    - Driver for my Linksys USB wireless adapter
                    - Chrome
                    - Drive, Bridge, extender toolkit, Reader, Media Player

- Magic Disc
                    - NVIDIA drivers
                    - Unity Web Player.
                    - Ubuntu on other harddrive
                    - Microsoft Cisual C++ Redistributable 2008 x86 9.0xxxxxxxx

• 7. Re: CP1252 Txt, and Other issues

Good news is I was silly and missed putting it in adobe folder.....

Bad news: I'm back to the original problem/error code before that adobe couldn't help me even with their 9 step help document.... changing file permissions....

Error Code 3: Require a restart before it will work.

That is funky. It is a file that is installed by default, so if you didn't already have that file in that folder, it means that something was missed by the installer, right?

I thought that error code 3 was a single damaged InDesign file - not a problem with InDesign itself. Can you tell us more about your problem? The more detail we get, the better the chance we can help you.

Nothing in the list of installed software you just posted is something I know to be a problem. Why do you install that particular C++ runtime library?

• 8. Re: CP1252 Txt, and Other issues
                        PatchyToes Level 1

I didnt... just saw it in my installed files.
                        Probably with SP3?

Well I don't know what other details there are.

Oh wait... #$%#$%. The title of the window with the error Code 3 is: "Liscencing for this product has stopped working"

• 9. Re: CP1252 Txt, and Other issues

I have nothing good to say about Avira, myself. I just got rid of it on my Father's computer.  What's Magic Disk?

Did you run the installer from a clean boot? I'd run MSconfig and turn off a,, the unnecessary startups and non-microsoft services, then run the installer again and see if it will "repair."

• 10. Re: CP1252 Txt, and Other issues

sorry, really bad typo there. a,, was supposed to be all.

• 11. Re: CP1252 Txt, and Other issues
                              PatchyToes Level 1

Magic Disc is a virtual CD drive for ISO's. Used it for Ubuntu.

• 12. Re: CP1252 Txt, and Other issues

PatchyToes wrote:

Oh wait... #$%#$%. The title of the window with the error Code 3 is: "Liscencing for this product has stopped working"

OH!

Try Flexnet Patch

• 13. Re: CP1252 Txt, and Other issues
                                  PatchyToes Level 1

Well, this was the issue I was having before when Adobe was still helping me out. That link was for Vista, but I did a quick search and found their liscencing repair tool. http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/licensing_download_eula.html

• 14. Re: CP1252 Txt, and Other issues

It's been awhile, but my memory is the lnk I provided works for XP as well (in fact, I'm pretty sure I had to run it myself, and I never used Vista), so if the other doesn't solve the problem...

• 15. Re: CP1252 Txt, and Other issues
                                      PatchyToes Level 1

Well, I'll give it a go...
                                      I did a few google searches for some African Rain dancing.... I had a premonition that I just need more rainfall in my area, and that will somehow fix it.

At this point, I will try anything. Appreciate it!
                                      - It ran for half a second, then closed. Don't know what that means

• 16. Re: CP1252 Txt, and Other issues

I just checked, and that flexnet patch is sitting in  my download folder. It's possible I used it on another system, but far more likely I needed it myself on an old XP box.

• 17. Re: CP1252 Txt, and Other issues
                                          PatchyToes Level 1

Just going through the liscening repair tool again, all three of the steps/reboots.
                                          one last one, then pressing "0" as it says.

• 18. Re: CP1252 Txt, and Other issues
                                            PatchyToes Level 1

I'm wondering if I should see if I can get the vista thats on my Laptop onto my PC.... Is that possible?
                                            It was actually windows 7 that came preinstalled on the laptop from Futureshop, then I Made a boot disc and reformatted... and when I started it up, it turned into Vista.....

• 19. Re: CP1252 Txt, and Other issues

I wouldn't go there...

You can still buy Windows 7 OEM disks, if you want a new OS.

• 20. Re: CP1252 Txt, and Other issues
                                                PatchyToes Level 1

hahah I know. Sorry, a momentary lapse in judgement.....
                                                And to think, I was about to buy windows 8, but opted to get the bottom half of my Asus Transformer instead......

Might look into CS6, business is tight as a local paper, and I refuse to spend several hundred dollars on a perfectly working program just because it's DRM malfunctions. Probably just updating to Win 8 will be the best time/money solution.

• 21. Re: CP1252 Txt, and Other issues

Did you try that flexnet patch?

• 22. Re: CP1252 Txt, and Other issues
                                                    PatchyToes Level 1

yeah, it ran for a second, and then stopped.

• 23. Re: CP1252 Txt, and Other issues

The patch tool, or ID? The patch is pretty much instantaneous.

• 24. Re: CP1252 Txt, and Other issues

I refuse to spend several hundred dollars on a perfectly working program just because it's DRM malfunctions.

I fully endorse your unwillingness to upgrade. Besides, it's well known that FlexNet is garbage. FlexNet is the license protection for another tool I use on a daily basis, and so I'm really used to fighting with it. It's a nasty piece of work, and part of its Magic (TM) is that when someone attempts to remove it illicitly (to break the licensing protection, I mean), it breaks badly enough to require a hard drive format before you can get it to work again. Which you already know, obviously. (Thank your lucky stars that you don't need to feed it the serial number of your hard drive or motherboard; for those kinds of FlexNet install, it'll never work on that hardware again. Fortunately Adobe's version doesn't seem to do this.)

Two questions for you, one of which is a repeat:

1) Are you installing from a downloaded installer, or from a DVD?

2) Have you tried all of the things in this KB article? Resetting rights on folders related to FlexNet often works.

• 25. Re: CP1252 Txt, and Other issues
                                                          PatchyToes Level 1

Yup, ran it awhile ago...
                                                          I'm kinda lost as to what to try next.... only thing I can think of is that really annoying 9 step process adobe gave me.... and hope that somehow this time around will be different.

*EDIT*
                                                          didn't see that post with link.

Will try that next.

• 26. Re: CP1252 Txt, and Other issues
                                                            PatchyToes Level 1

It was a DVD BTW.
                                                            I tried this before the reformat, didn't work.
                                                            This is what led me, along with computer being slow to reformat.

BTW.... should I have tried reinstalling again before I do all this folder permission changes?
                                                            Also, is it significant, and should I Do anything about the fact that add/remove programs doesn't think Adobe is installed? (when I try and uninstall, it says it already is, and cleaner doesn't register it either)

• 27. Re: CP1252 Txt, and Other issues
                                                              PatchyToes Level 1

almost finished with the KB article.....
                                                              will try one last reinstall... guess try all of that again....

• 28. Re: CP1252 Txt, and Other issues
                                                                PatchyToes Level 1

Ahh that beautiful moment in time.... right after a reinstall.... when it works for that first time and you just imagine... just pretend for a moment that it's going to last like this forever....

Ahhh.... ignorance is bliss.

• 29. Re: CP1252 Txt, and Other issues
                                                                  PatchyToes Level 1

Well I did one thing differently....
                                                                  I tried rebooting and it still seems to work... for now. Sometimes it takes a day or two to malfunction.

I reinstalled under Adminstrator... only reason I saw that, was in the KB file, it mentions something about you need to install as administrator..... If it's that important... think they would put a bigger label on it...

I will be back either when it breaks, or if I go a few days without it breaking.
                                                                  THank you all for your help thus far... lets hope we are at the end of it!

• 30. Re: CP1252 Txt, and Other issues

Sorry -- have to sleep sometime -- not showing up in Add/Remove or the cleaner probably does have some significance, but I can't tell you what. Microsoft used to have a cleanup tool, msicuu2.exe, that was used to remove old junk from the registry (and it was used by the original Adobe cleanup tools for CS3 and CS4 on Windows), but they stopped distributing it because it was dangerous in untrained hands. If you find yourself needing to reinstall again, I'd try to find a copy (contact me off-forum if necessary) and see if it helps. Or you could just reformat and reinstall the OS again...

As far as "administrator" goes, well, in theory you can install from any account that has admin privileges, but sometimes it just works better with the real thing. Same goes for uninstalling. And I suspect you know that you should also turn off your antivirus and malware scanners and other unnecessary programs during an install. ID can be sensitive to iTunes, browser helpers and toolbars and instant messengers during the install, too, so I generally recommend the MSconfig/turn off nearly everything routine I mentioned above.

• 31. Re: CP1252 Txt, and Other issues
                                                                      PatchyToes Level 1

I SHOULD know to turn off antivirus....most of the time I remember
                                                                      Actually come to think of it, I think I installed indesign first after SP3.... so I was in the clear there. I will remember the MS config going forward.

So far so good it's lasted 5 program openings, and 2 reboots.... on the plus side, I will have more then enough time to make up for the lost time on hold with Customer service, as I have more then enough adreneline waiting for this program to break again to keep me up for days.

• 32. Re: CP1252 Txt, and Other issues
                                                                        PatchyToes Level 1

A big thank you to the forums, for your quick response, and patience!

The answer to the Licensing breaking seemed to be needing to be Administrator when installing. The answer I marked as correct, it's not the steps in the article he linked, it's actually the fact that in the steps, is the only place where Adobe tells you to be logged in as Administrator.

Make sure to remind people like me when reinstalling Adobe Products, to log in as Administrator, not just an account with Administrator priviledges. Seems as Peter said, just seems to work better.

• 33. Re: CP1252 Txt, and Other issues
                                                                          PatchyToes Level 1

Well, I was wrong.
                                                                          A week goes by, I have done a whole load of documents, perfectly normal.... and now all of a sudden, it decided to stop working again.
                                                                          CP1252.TXT

The only thing I can think I have done is tried to open Acrobat read 11, which doesn't seem to work right now.
                                                                          Maybe it's a way for adobe to force older clients to upgrade.

• 34. Re: CP1252 Txt, and Other issues

PatchyToes wrote:
                                                                            Maybe it's a way for adobe to force older clients to upgrade.

Nah. It's just a bit of buggy software. Time to start the process over again. It seems pretty likely that something on your system is involved inthe creeping corruption, but identifying just what that is is going to be difficult.