9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2013 11:57 PM by Alan Craven

New PC  specs

lisaellensegal Level 1

I am using PPro CS5 and will probably upgrade in the near future.  I currently run PPro on my HP Dv-7 with the following specs:

Intel I-7 quad core Q720 @1.60GHz

8.00GB RAM

NVIDIA GEFORCE graphics card

I am looking at  two different desktop systems at B&H.  One is pushing the edge of my budget - about 3k.  The reason that I am looking is that I am using AVCHD, HDV and MOV files.  I am color correcting and using some Magic Bullet plug-ins and rendering time is painfully slow - 8 minute video took 6 hours.  Also, previewing edits is tough, very choppy.  I usually have to guess or just manually move my cti to decide how to edit.  So, here are two choices from B&H.  

The first is:

CyberpowerPC Gamer Aqua GLC2180 Gaming Desktop Computer

• 3.6GHz Intel Core i7-3820 Quad-Core CPU
      • 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
      • 1TB SATA III 7200rpm Hard Drive
      • nVIDIA GeForce GTX660 Ti Graphics Card
      • 12x Blu-ray Player / DVD-RW Combo Drive
      • Integrated 7.1 Channel HD Audio Card
      • 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet RJ-45
      • Corsair Carbide 300R Mid-Tower Case
      • USB Gaming Keyboard and Mouse
      • Windows 8 64-bit Edition

I would then add the following graphics card:

PNY Technologies nVIDIA Quadro 2000 Display Card

Product Highlights

• Dual-Link DVI + DisplayPort + DisplayPort
      • 1GB GDDR5 RAM
      • PCI Express 2.0 x16
      • CUDA Support
      • HDCP Compliance
      • Windows & Linux Compatibility

Total cost is about $1800.00

Second Choice is:

Rain Computers Inc. Element VFX Video + Graphics Workstation

Product Highlights

• 3.6 GHz Sandy Bridge-E Xeon Quad-Core
      • 8GB of Quad-Ch RAM / Upgradeable to 32GB
      • 1TB SATA III High-Performance Hard Drive
      • 1GB Quadro 2000 Graphics Card
      • Aluminum Body and Keyboard
      • Sophisticated Cooling System
      • PCI / USB / eSATA / RJ-45 Connections
      • Windows 7 Tuned for Audio and Video
      • Custom BIOS Tuned at Deepest Level
      • Phone / Help Desk / Remote Login Support

Total Cost is about $3000.00

Could someone please share their thoughts on the following:

1. Is it worth the $1200.00 to get the Rain?  Will I see huge differences in render time?

2.  Please feel free to suggest any other systems.  I am fine with a desktop since I know I will get more bang for my buck.

Any other thoughts or suggestions are welcome

Lisa

• 1. Re: New PC  specs
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/hardware_forum forum has MANY discussions like this

Also, http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM has MY ideas for 3 price levels... for DIY

Buy a Desktop Video Editing PC http://www.adkvideoediting.com/

As for your 3 questions

1 - yes... with the addition of AT LEAST one more internal 7200rpm hard drive for project and video files

2 - no... overpriced unless you NEED the 10bit output of the quaddro

3 - no

• 2. Re: New PC  specs
            lisaellensegal Level 1

Thank you Jim,

Just to clarify,  Here are my questions:

Could someone please share their thoughts on the following:

1. Is it worth the $1200.00 to get the Rain?  Will I see huge differences in render time?

2.  Please feel free to suggest any other systems.  I am fine with a desktop since I know I will get more bang for my buck.

Here is your answer:

As for your 3 questions

1 - yes... with the addition of AT LEAST one more internal 7200rpm hard drive for project and video files

2 - no... overpriced unless you NEED the 10bit output of the quaddro

3 - no

I am not sure which system is overpriced.  I am assuming that you are referring to the Rain. 

I will check out your links right now.  Thanks so much.

• 3. Re: New PC  specs
              Jeff Bellune Level 6

[moved to hardware forum]

• 4. Re: New PC  specs
                lisaellensegal Level 1

Hi Jim,

I priced out at New Egg your system and it comes to about $2400 and looks like a very nice system.  B&H suggested that I go with a Quadro vs a GeForce because teh Quadro is better suited for video rendering vs the GeForce which is better for gaming (graphics display). Is this info correct and does the processer that you picked out, EVGA 02G-P4-2670-KR GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card work well for rendering video and previewing.  I know some about computers, but I am far from being an expert.  I think that I should be researching the following:

processor

video card

motherboard

Is this correct?  Do these 3 components have the most impact on a system?  I understand that everything must work well together as a whole.  Also, I asssume that I have to purchase Windows separate.  I HATE Windows 8, but it seems that Windows 7 is more expensive (but better).

Thanks so much for your help.

Lisa

• 5. Re: New PC  specs
                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Take a look at over 1200 tested configurations on our Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM5) and be surte to compare only the same versions of Premiere Pro (Cs5, Cs5.5 or CS6) as they score differently.  You will see that while the Quadro has one advatage over the GeForce GTX cards (it's 10-bit output) the GTX cards outperform the Quadros and at much less price.  If you want an Adobe video editing machine finely tuned and set up properly contact Eric at ADK Video.

• 6. Re: New PC  specs
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Who is Jim?

My 1-2-3 answers correspond to your 3 bold headings

CyberpowerPC Gamer Aqua GLC2180 Gaming Desktop Computer

1-yes, OK with the addition of a 2nd hard drive

PNY Technologies nVIDIA Quadro 2000 Display Card

2-no, see below

Rain Computers Inc. Element VFX Video + Graphics Workstation

3-no, go to the link Bill provided

B&H is wrong... as Bill said... you ONLY buy a Quaddro if you NEED 10bit video output... hint... 10bit monitors are VERY expensive, compared to regular monitors

• 7. Re: New PC  specs
                      lisaellensegal Level 1

Who is Jim?  John,  Thanks for your help!

• 8. Re: New PC  specs
                        lisaellensegal Level 1

Here is the system that ADK Video put together for me:

CaseZalman - Z9 Mid-tower case. 3x 5.25, 6x 3.5, 1 2.5 drive bays.
                        Power SupplyCoolermaster - 700W Silent Pro M Pro 16DB (quiet) 5 yr warranty.
                        MotherboardADK - LGA1155X: Z77 3x 16X PCIe, 2PCIe 1x, 2 PCI, dual channnel DDR3 1600, no fir
                        ProcessorIntel - Core i7 IVB @ 4.5GHz or higher Quad 8 meg cache with HT
                        ProcessorNone
                        CoolingNoctua - NH-U9B SE2 Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler 8-13DB
                        Cooling 2ADK - ADK Quiet Case fans (2) 8DB Noctua
                        Memory16gig 2x8gig DDR3 1600 LV CL11-11-11-28 Lifetime warranty
                        Memory 2None
                        Memory 3Paragon Backup & Recovery 12 Suite with ADK recovery DVD.
                        Hard Drive 1Western Digital - 1 TB Black 7200 rpm - Serial ATA 6.0Gb/s - 64 Meg Cache 5yr warranty
                        Hard Drive 2Western Digital - 2TB Raid 0(2x 1TB 64Meg) 5 yr warranty
                        Hard Drive 3Western Digital - 2TB Raid 0(2x 1TB 64Meg) 5 yr warranty
                        Hard Drive 4None
                        Hard Drive 5None
                        Extra Storagenone
                        ControllerNone
                        VideoGeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0
                        Video 2None
                        CD/CD-RW/DVDAsus - BW-12B1ST Internal Blu-ray Writer
                        CD/CD-RW/DVD 2USB 3.0 Flash Card Reader/Writer
                        Pro AudioNone
                        NICIncluded wired not wireless
                        ModemNone
                        Operating SystemMicrosoft - Windows 7 Pro 64 bit OEM
                        Other SoftwareNONE
                        Other Software 2NONE
                        Other Software 3NONE
                        Monitornone
                        KeyboardsNone
                        SpeakersNone
                        Warranty2 year parts and labor, onsite pickup, Lifetime tech support.
                        Video Editing Workstation
                        ADK-I7-DVC
                        Price: $2,999.00
                        Description:Intel Sandy Bridge video editing workstation. Outperforming all but the most expensive X58 processors the new Sandy Bridge processors are faster for less making the I7 DVC a wise choice.

I just want to run it by the forum before I purchase.  I am looking for faster render time and better playback.  I think that we might be changing the motherboard so that I can have e-sata connections.

Thanks

Lisa

• 9. Re: New PC  specs
                          Alan Craven Level 4

This looks good - very like the system that I put together myself just over a year ago in terms of storage etc.

Main differences are that I went for the X79 chipset, a 1000 watt PS and 32 GB RAM. but of course this would be a major increase in cost.

You might consider the extra headroom provided by a 1000 W PSU, as this would cover you for any future additions.

The combination of system hard drive and a pair of RAID 0 arrays is fast and Premiere works well with that, but you need a large external drive to back up these RAIDs at frequent intervals.  RAID 0 gives increased speed, but decreased reliability.

I actually have two backup drives - an internal 3 GB and an external 3 GB RAID 1, but I am paranoid about data loss.  But on the other hand, video editing is really only a hobby for me, so a loss would not affect me financially.