2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2013 7:01 PM by grouchou

Trigger random part of an animation

grouchou Level 1

Hi everyone,

I have an animation with 5 different parts. I would like to trigger a random part when clicking on a button.

In order to do that I put labels on all parts (play1,...,play5). Then I put a code on the button on the click event :

var RandomNb=Math.floor(Math.random()*5)

if(RandomNb=1){sym.play("play1");}

It is just a simple test but it does not work : the animation play1 is always played no matter the value of RandomNb.

I obviously make something wrong but I don't know what...

Thanks in advance for your help !

• 1. Re: Trigger random part of an animation
          elainecc Adobe Employee

Hi, grouchou-

There are a couple of issues with your code.  First off, Math.random() will give you a number between 0 and 1.  I'd suggest you multiply by 100, apply Math.floor(), then modulo 5 to get a random number between 0 and 4.  Secondly, you will need to use the comparison == instead of the assignment = in order to get your if statement to work.  So (if RandomNb == 1) {...}.  Right now, you're doing an assignment in the if statement, which always returns true after it finishes.

Hope that helps,

-Elaine

• 2. Re: Trigger random part of an animation
            grouchou Level 1

Thanks a lot Elaine !

It worked. It was the == thing that resolved the case.

And just so you know the formula RandomNb=Math.floor(Math.random()*5); works great to generate an integer betwwen 0 and 4. (Don't ask me why, I don't know anything about javascript!)

Thanks again !