3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2013 11:23 PM by paul190453

Lens profile confusion

paul190453

Hi all,

I'm using photoshop CS6 (win 7). I have downloaded a lens profile for my Samyang 8mm fisheye lens and placed the profile in the correct folder. I am now able to access the profile in Camera raw (lens correction) as well as the lens correction filter within CS6. However, when I use the adaptive wide angle filter on a raw file the "auto" option is not available by default...clicking it brings up the error message: "matching lens profile not found". Is it possible to use the profile here? The same problem exists in other camera/lens combinations..e.g. my Canon 7D and various lenses.

Regards,

Paul

• 1. Re: Lens profile confusion
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don’t use the Adaptive Wide Angle filter in Photoshop so this is just a guess, but does it matter whether you have a non-raw (jpg) version of the lens-correction profile also installed as compared to the raw version? 

I would also assume that you cannot have already performed lens-profile corrections, at least geometric ones, on the raw file before using the adaptive wide-angle filter. 

It may also be that your other lenses, other than the fisheye, aren’t wide angle enough.  Are you attempting corrections on photos with focal-lengths in the teens or below?

• 2. Re: Lens profile confusion
            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To answer my own questions:  I’ve had time to play with AWA Corrections just now, and for all three  lenses I shoot with, a Sigma 8mm Fisheye, a Canon 70-200 f2.8 and a Canon 18-135, the Auto is shown as the initial selection and I don’t see the No Lens Profile error.  Two of these three lenses have both raw and jpg profiles while one only has a raw file and they all work.  It also doesn’t seem to matter if I apply geometric distortions in ACR prior to opening in Photoshop or not.

I have also tried to open another Fuji camera image and Auto does give me the error.  This camera doesn’t have a native lens profile so I would expect the error.

Perhaps you can provide an example raw for others to look at, one where selecting Auto gives the error, by uploading it to a large-file-storage location, like http://www.dropbx.com and then posting a public download link to it.  It can be a junk image, just one that has the issue.

On page 2 of tutorial PDF for AWAC, it says that there must be an accurate lens profile for Auto to work, so perhaps it has judged your lens profiles as inaccurate in some way, perhaps not created by Adobe, or perhaps not enough focal-length steps in them or some other criteria that isn’t clear:

http://www.photoshopforphotographers.com/pscs6/downloads/Adaptivewideangle.pdf

• 3. Re: Lens profile confusion
              paul190453 Level 1

Hi and thanks for the replies. I will check the profiles available for the lenses in question. It's not a major issue for me...just trying to figure out why ther lens correction filter recognises the profile but the AWA doesn't. I'll keep researching.

Cheers,

Paul