3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2013 8:02 AM by nealeh

Maximum shared file size on a Mac

LindaColli Level 1

HI, I have recently bought an Apple MacPro laptop. I understand that a FAT 32 file does not allow file sizes larger than 4GB. My Premiere Elements completed shared files are usually larger than this in max resloution full HD as I use a lot of video footage. When I tried to copy a completed shared file to my laptop from my windows desktop it said that the file size was too large. Does this mean that I cannot create large projects on my Mac that will end up being larger than 4 GB when they are completed and shared? I am new to Mac so would appreciate any help that you can give me. Many thanks.

• 1. Re: Maximum shared file size on a Mac
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You should not have any file size limitations on Mac OSX, Linda.

Macs are neither NTFS nor FAT32. They use a file system called HFSX.

• 2. Re: Maximum shared file size on a Mac
            LindaColli Level 1

Thanks Steve, I am relieved about that.

My challenge now is how to transfer larger files from one computer to the other. Can one buy external drives that are formated in HFSX, or can I use an NTFS formatted external hard-drive to transfer files from Windows to Mac?

On a slightly different point, I believe that Mac can read NTFS but wont write to it. I would like to store all my travel media on external drives but dont want to be limited by FAT 32 size restrictions as I will eventually use this media in my PE Project and would prefer to save the final shared project to the same external drive.

If I store my media on an NTFS external drive plugged into my mac, does that mean that I would not be able to edit my stills in eg Lightroom on the mac if the media resides on the NTFS external drive?

Thank you for your help. I am trying to get to grips with this new mac before we go on our next expidition in May.

• 3. Re: Maximum shared file size on a Mac
              nealeh Level 5

This google search throws up some solutions to enabling OSX to write to NTFS disks.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children