8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2017 8:00 PM by rbogie3

Bookmarks and links will not hold its destination

Dorota Juska-Fairbanks

Whenever  i am trying to set up links or bookmarks to specific destination with the zoom level at 100% and the desire destination is more towards the bottom of the page, the link or bookmark will take me to the page below. When I go to the Actions panel and edit "Go to page in this document" it's in fact showing next page below, so every time i have to change it to desire page number, but then i am loosing my zoom level: for example from selected 100% it will scale selected page to 55%. I have tried "Actual Size, Inherit Zoom, etc" but nothing seem to work. We are producing 100's of interactive pdf's and this problem has been a huge set back for us. For the most part it creates very user unfriendly pdf, and it's becoming very frustrating for me as a developer/creator of those pdf's. My documents properties are always set to Single Page Continuous and Zoom at 100%,  my Acrobat preferences have this same settings. Any help? 

• 1. Re: Bookmarks and links will not hold its destination
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What version of Acrobat are you using? Can you post a sample that behaves this way and post it somewhere so we can take a look?

• 2. Re: Bookmarks and links will not hold its destination
            Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

Acrobat has no idea what the "current line" is when you look at a page. If you can see part of the next page, it could equally choose that as the destination. Try this: resize the window into a letter box shape, and make sure no part of the next page is visible. I think that the letter box shape you target will be placed at the top of the screen when the link is followed, so the text below should just follow. 

• 3. Re: Bookmarks and links will not hold its destination
              raeben3 Level 3

I'm running Acrobat 9 Professional. There may be some differences if you are running another version.

Do you have View/Page Display set to Allow Scrolling when you create these bookmarks/links?  This will allow you to set Bookmarks with part of the next page showing.  However, when you click on a bookmark it will take you to the top of the next page. 

This is a "feature" of the software and I think there is nothing you can do about it.   You can add actions to your bookmark that will zoom out and zoom in after going to the destination but these only approximate the actual destination.  Using Named Destinations will not work either.

A better way would be to create your bookmarks from the Structure of your document (i.e., the Tags Panel).  Bookmarks created from the Structure will allow the display of more than one page. The heading or other tagged content that is bookmarked will appear at the top of the display.    The Action will look the same in the Panel, but the Bookmark has a different effect.

Interestingly, Set Destination seems not to be an option for bookmarks created from Structure.

• 4. Re: Bookmarks and links will not hold its destination
                Dorota Juska-Fairbanks Level 1

I am mostly working in Acrobat X, but i have tried every single version on earth to get this to work, starting with Acrobat 8 and Trial version of Acrobat XI. Hopefully you can see sample i've attached. This particular manual is in German, but i also work with Spanish, French etc.

Pic 1.png

Pic 2.png

Pic 3.png

• 5. Re: Bookmarks and links will not hold its destination
                  Dorota Juska-Fairbanks Level 1

Mostly i work in Acrobat X Professional.

I have tried every possible thing to make those manuals as user friendly as possible. I haven't work much with Tags. Since i have to assume that 98% of those pdf's will be viewed with Acrobat Reader anyway, i don't want to get in messing with the XML (right?, Tags are XML language?). Bookmarks are one thing, but this is also happening with internal links as well (links from the TOC). I think you're right, this "feature" is not very well supported in Acrobat X. Funny thing is that it worked perfect right when Acrobat 9 was released. Now even 9 will not support it, after "every other day" updates Adobe is running.

• 6. Re: Bookmarks and links will not hold its destination
                    raeben3 Level 3

Tags are not XML. They are based on the styles you used in your original document -- whether it was Word, Indesign or whatever.  

You can also Add Tags to the PDF after the document has been created, but for your purposes it's probably easier to add Tags and bookmarks based on Styles when you make the PDF.

Rae

• 7. Re: Bookmarks and links will not hold its destination
                      a C student Level 3

Greetings Dorota Juska-Fairbanks,

Have you tried what raeben3 suggests - add tags to your document then create your bookmarks from the document structure? This is the approach I use and get good results. If I need to set internal links, such as in a table of contents, I set up the document structure first, then the bookmarks, then use the bookmarks to provide the page views for the links. Then (sigh) I have to manually set each link to "Inherit Zoom" - wish there was a way to make that the default.

• 8. Re: Bookmarks and links will not hold its destination
                        rbogie3

i sent you an email via this forum.  i can do what you need.  too complex to explain here.