7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2013 3:25 AM by laerkej

what format for .mts videofiles?

laerkej

Hi, I have a lot of .mts videofiles I would like to wrap into one big file in cs6. What format/container should I use to store lossless, or will there always be a loss in picture quality when storing files in cs6?

kindly

• 1. Re: what format for .mts videofiles?
          Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I had to look up mts, I knew I heard of it before, just wasn't clicking. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.mts

Anyway, mpg is a lossy format in that each time you save to that format the more it will degrade.

There is no such thing as storing files in CS6. You can use any number of apps in the suite to create a video file though.

So the question comes down to what formats {wrapper/codec} is lossless - saving repeatedly to same format without any loss of data or color information.

AVI with no codec or MOV with no codec are at the top of the list, but because they are not using a codec the file is not compressed and therefore will take up a lot of drive space and can run slower.

There are codecs that are lossless though but you could be trading smaller files for the lack of transpaerency.

So really the answer is up to you, try out some of the formats with the various codecs on a sample video and see what provides the best compromise. Then way that with the length of your video.

Also do a web search and see if anything is on the market that would be worth purchasing, cause you never know what latest breakthough will save the day.

• 2. Re: what format for .mts videofiles?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Hi, I have a lot of .mts videofiles I would like to wrap into one big file in cs6. What format/container should I use to store lossless, or will there always be a loss in picture quality when storing files in cs6?

Your info is far too vague. MTS files can be all sorts of things from MPEG-2 to AVCHD wrappers and they are already compressed. Any additional compression will inevitably reduce quality further and introduce new compression artifacts, cause color shifts, mess with audio. If ever there was an unsuitable tool for what you have in mind, PS definitely takes the first place. Find an affordable editing program or use free tools like the various ffmpeg-based transcoding tools (MPEGStreamclip, Handbrake etc.) to merge your clips. Do some reading up on the whole matter.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: what format for .mts videofiles?
              laerkej Level 1

silkrooster, thx for your reply :-)- you're right, there is no such thing as storing in cs6, what I meant was how to render the video files lossless, sorry ;-), and you've clearing things up for me/told me that the .mts files are mpg format, and a lossy format. I'll have to try different codecs then, and see what is the best in my situation. I did render some .mts files in photoshop cs6, choose  the 1080p/25p option, and it looked okay....BUT, no sound, grrrr searched around to get an answer to this also, and probably my canon .mts files are not supported in photoshop cs6 extended, but to me it sounds strange, as Adobe actually advertised specifically, that photoshop cs6 extended would support video from DSLR cameras.......

Mylenium, thx for your reply too :-)  -I AM newbie, no doubt about that, so please be patient....I didn't know that .mts files were mpg/lossy, don't know where to look that up. I'm not looking for compression, the fact is that I'm more or less a purist in this regard, but what I intends to do is just make one big file(video) out of my .mts files, and if possible, lossless. I've looked a lot around the web, but it's all most a jungle, don't know where to start, but I'll keep on reading AND asking.....I do consider purchasing a "real" video editing software, but again, it's a jungle....I'm sure it would be overkill for my needs, to purchase a Premiere pro cs6 solution....

thx both of you, I'm glad you took your time to help me a little on the way....

kindly

• 4. Re: what format for .mts videofiles?
                conroy Level 5

laerkej wrote:

I'm sure it would be overkill for my needs, to purchase a Premiere pro cs6 solution

Maybe Adobe Premiere Elements would be suitable for your needs. There'll be a trial download at adobe.com.

• 5. Re: what format for .mts videofiles?
                  laerkej Level 1

I'll have a closer look at Elements then, thx conroy :-)

• 6. Re: what format for .mts videofiles?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

PrElements can handle most MTS files just fine.

For Exporting (now called Publish+Share in PrE 11), for additional editing, you might want to explore either Lagarith Lossless, or UT Lossless as the Export CODEC. Both are free, and are very good - no visual loss in quality, but at the expense of larger file sizes. This article goes into more detail on using intermediate files: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4556586#4556586

Both of those CODEC's will be wrapped in a MS-AVI format.

The only caveat is that if you hand those output files off to another editor, they will need to have the Lagarith, or UT CODEC's installed, to edit them.

What I do not know is whether PS CS 6 can Export to either the Lagarith, or UT Lossless CODEC's, but know that both versions of Premiere has zero problems, either outputting, or Importing those CODEC's, so long as they are properly installed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: what format for .mts videofiles?
                      laerkej Level 1

Hi Hunt, sorry for my late reply://

Thx for your info, I didn't know about the Lagarith or UT codecs, but I know they are not available in PS CS6.

Do you know if it's possible to export video files from PR.elements as "original"/lossless ?

Kindly