5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2013 3:13 PM by Ann Bens

Saving Video Clips

Lutzie2

How do I clip small scenes from a larger video and save them so I can create a new video with just the selected clips?  I have video of my daughter's volleyball games and I'd like to clip the plays she's in to make a highlight video.  I have Elements 11.

• 1. Re: Saving Video Clips
          Barbara B. Level 7

Hello, Lutzie2. Premiere Elements has its own forum:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements

and it's better to ask video questions there, since not many of us use PRE.

I'll move this for you.

• 2. Re: Saving Video Clips
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No need to save them out first to make a new video. Waste of time and compression (quality loss).

Open clip in preview window.

set in and outpoint for the section you want to use and drag to timeline.

now move the in and outpoint to the next section you want to use.

and so on.

• 3. Re: Saving Video Clips
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's actually very wise to work on a project in small pieces and then combine the outputs of each small piece into a larger project.

As I say in my books, which output settings you use depends on if you're working in standard definition or AVCHD high-def.

For standard def video, use Publish & Share/Computer/AVI with the DV preset. Combine these in a project set up for DV.

For AVCHD high-def video, use Publish & Share/Computer/AVCHD 1920x1080 M2T file. Combine these in a project set up for Full AVCHD.

• 4. Re: Saving Video Clips
                Beau2013

Hi Steve,

Could you elaborate why you feel it's wise to cut up a large clip into many small ones and then output them? I typically keep my 1 hr mini-DV tape clip as one and then use the pieces I want by editing the timeline.

• 5. Re: Saving Video Clips
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Beau2013 wrote:

Hi Steve,

Could you elaborate why you feel it's wise to cut up a large clip into many small ones and then output them? I typically keep my 1 hr mini-DV tape clip as one and then use the pieces I want by editing the timeline.

That is the way to edit a long clip. When exporting to dv-avi the quality loss is not very noticble. But the compression is still lossy.

Best is to use a intermediare codec such as Lagartith to save to smaller clips to use in another project.

Elements does not do Smart Rendering so exporting HD to m2t is also lossy.