3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2007 5:21 AM by Newsgroup_User

Packaging Xtra for Shockwave download

AmegoSam
      A few questions regarding packaging an xtra for Shockwave:

I have created a Windows scripting Xtra that is Shockwave-safe - works fine if manually placed into the local cache for downloaded xtras (...\Documents and Settings\...\Application Data\...\Shockwave Player\xtras\...."). I would like to make our Shockwave application pick up the xtra from our web server. I understand that xtras can be made for automatic download, but am not clear on the details of how you do this, and have struggled to get anything detailed from my web searches. The questions:

1) do I need the "Xtra Packaging Kit"?
      2) where do I get the above? (was looking at previous thread on this - the product doesn't seem to exist anymore) Is it part of the forthcoming Director release?
      3) would it suffice to make the application manually download the xtra (and is this possible)?
      4) does the packaging kit also deal with digital certification, or is this down to me to sort separately?

Kind regards,
      Sam
        • 1. Re: Packaging Xtra for Shockwave download
          Level 7
          > 1) do I need the "Xtra Packaging Kit"?

Yes.

> 2) where do I get the above?

It was/should be available (for purchase?) from Adobe.

> 3) would it suffice to make the application manually download the xtra (and is
          > this possible)?

No.

> 4) does the packaging kit also deal with digital certification, or is this
          > down to me to sort separately?

You need to buy your own certificate. I'm not sure the XPK works with
          anything other than Verisign - you could ask on the xdk-list.
          • 2. Re: Packaging Xtra for Shockwave download
            AmegoSam Level 1
            Thanks for the info. Does anyone have any clues on why Adobe do not have the Xtra Packaging Kit on their online stores, and make no mention of it anywhere? It seems like they have abandoned the idea of people publishing xtras (a sign of their unwillingness to continue supporting Director?).

Sam
            • 3. Re: Packaging Xtra for Shockwave download
              Level 7
              AmegoSam wrote:

> Thanks for the info. Does anyone have any clues on why Adobe do not have the
              > Xtra Packaging Kit on their online stores, and make no mention of it anywhere?
              > It seems like they have abandoned the idea of people publishing xtras (a sign
              > of their unwillingness to continue supporting Director?).

Hi Sam,

A few people have asked about the Director Xtras Packaging Kit and I followed up
              the question with Adobe.

The XPK was taken off the online store as Adobe transitioned Director and
              Shockwave from a Macromedia product to Adobe. The transition to Adobe has taken
              longer than expected because of things like neglect from Macromedia, old codebase,
              new Operating Systems... From my understanding, once the new XDK is fully updated
              to be compatible with all OS's, it will make its way back onto the site. This will
              likely correspond to the release of the next version of Adobe Director 11.

Adobe should be giving some public info soon on Director 11.

regards
              Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
              http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
              http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
              email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au