9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2013 5:36 PM by Joel Cherney

[Help]Cross References Ignoring <chapNum/> And Not Linking to Destination

VectorIsBetter09 Level 1

I have a multi document book. Chapters and Appendicies

Screen shot 2013-03-12 at 2.16.51 PM.png

I'm using crossreferences through out the entire project/book.

I noticed the other day that a few of the chapters have cross references that are not properly formatted. These chapters are using the exact same definition as all the other chapters.

Chapter^/<chapNum />,^/<paraText />

&

Appendix <chapNum />, "<fullPara />"

No matter what I do, specify the type of numbering using the appropriate corresponding list, I always get Appendix 1, or Chapter 1. I then have to manually define the chapter number in the corssreference deffinition...

For example..

Chapter 3, "<paraText />"

&

Appendix A, "<fullPara />"

The deffinitions listed earlier (w/ <chapNum/>) worked fine in all the previous versions of our user manual.

Am I missing something???? I've checked my numbering lists.

My cross references in the HyperlLink panel usually look like this...

Chapter # "My Chapter Title"

Not like this...

Chapter 3, "My 3rd Chapter Title"

This also appears to be influencing some issues with cross references not linking back to their destination after exporting. Cross references act as links in some chapters, and not in others.

The expected result: Clicking the cross reference takes you to it's corresponding destination.

Please not I am 100% sure that I'm uncluding bookmarks and hyperlinks when I export to PDF.

• 1. Re: [Help]Cross References Ignoring <chapNum/> And Not Linking to Destination
          VectorIsBetter09 Level 1

Sorry there is actuall two issues here. <chapNum> is being ignored, and after exporting to PDF, the cross references work in some chapters as links to different book marks, while not working in others.

• 2. Re: [Help]Cross References Ignoring <chapNum/> And Not Linking to Destination
            VectorIsBetter09 Level 1

Screen shot 2013-03-12 at 3.36.49 PM.png

Thats what all my Chapter Title - Level 1 paragraph styles looks like in the Bullets and Numbering section.

• 3. Re: [Help]Cross References Ignoring <chapNum/> And Not Linking to Destination
              Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Please not I am 100% sure that I'm uncluding bookmarks and hyperlinks when I export to PDF.

You're exporting from the Book panel, correct?

Just for drill (sorry I'm doubting your 100% certainty, it comes with the territory) can you look at the state of that bookmarks & hyperlinks checkbox when you export just a single INDD to PDF? There's a remote chance that the Book panel is not doing its job, and the PDF export may be honoring previous PDF export settings, instead of including all bookmarks as you selected in the book PDF export dialog.

Sorry there is actuall two issues here. <chapNum> is being ignored, and after exporting to PDF, the cross references work in some chapters as links to different book marks, while not working in others.

I can't help you with the chapNum thing at all.

However, even if the xrefs panel is not reporting any changed or out-of-date xrefs, then I would still suggest that you try opening all docs in the book, selecting all of the xrefs, and updating them all before trying to export.

• 4. Re: [Help]Cross References Ignoring <chapNum/> And Not Linking to Destination
                VectorIsBetter09 Level 1

Thanks for the reply. I know how you feel about being 100% sure you're 100% sure. LOL

Heres a screen cap of the Export Selected Documents To PDF from inside the Book Panel (that's where I do my exporting).

Screen-shot-2013-03-12-at-4.10.png

Both the Export Selected... and Export Book to PDF export windows have the appropriate Include check boxes marked. 

• 5. Re: [Help]Cross References Ignoring <chapNum/> And Not Linking to Destination
                  VectorIsBetter09 Level 1

I'm going to go ahead and open up all the docs, and unlink the InCopy assignments. I've had other issues in the past with these files being linked.

• 6. Re: [Help]Cross References Ignoring <chapNum/> And Not Linking to Destination

Heres a screen cap of the Export Selected Documents To PDF from inside the Book Panel (that's where I do my exporting).

What I was suggesting - once again, it's a long shot - is that the checkbox on this screen when exporting a single chapter by itself might be checked, and that might be overriding the checkbox that you have obviously selected in the Export Adobe PDF dialog for the book.

In other words, there might be a bug here. I've had problems a little bit like yours, but I won't go into the hairy details of that 40-language project - it's not relevant here. I'll just say that, although you are obviously 100% sure that it is checked in the screen from which you are exporting, I'm advising you to shut your Book, dupe a single chapter with known bookmark problems, open that file as a single file, not as part of a Book, then go to its Export Adobe PDF screen, and see what it says there. Because it may be the case that 100% of the files that are giving you xref problems might have Bookmark unchecked when the book is closed and you're exporting just a single file, and that checkmark might be overriding the checkmark when you open your Book and select some docs and go to Export Selected Documents to PDF.

Phew. Sorry for being so wordy, it's one of those too-much-coffee days. Did I make sense?

• 7. Re: [Help]Cross References Ignoring <chapNum/> And Not Linking to Destination
                      VectorIsBetter09 Level 1

So I think I found an issue with the page numbering and I think it might be causing this issue.

I'm using Roman Numerals for the preface and TOC. Heres what I'm looking at. As you can see in the first screen cap... The page numbering goes like this...

Cover

Copyright

TOC uses v-vi-vii-etc.

Preface/AboutThisGuide uses I-II-III etc.

Chapter 1 - Pg.1

Acrobat is counting the cover as Pg.1 - This s expected

Acrobat acknowledges the TOC page numbering and adjusts the TOC page number to Roman Numerals (see screen shot).

When I get to the About This Guide section, in Acrobat, the numerals continue with no regard for the TYPE of numerals being used.

It isn't until I get to page 10 (page 19 if you count the cover, TOC, (C), and About This Guide).

Then, from chapter 3 on, it's using the appropriate page numbers.

Screen shot 2013-03-12 at 5.04.56 PM.png

If I use acrobat page number box - and feed it "40" (for page 40) it jumps right to the page labeled "40" - It is ignoring the cover, TOC, (C), and About This Guide. Which I want, but it seems like using two different sets of roman numerals is causing some kind of issue with cross references in chapters within that range.

• 8. Re: [Help]Cross References Ignoring <chapNum/> And Not Linking to Destination
                        VectorIsBetter09 Level 1

I'll give it a try.

I can say that this issue, more and more, is starting to look like a xref bug.

I have a page here in Chapter 2, witch two xrefs.

, see Appendix C, "blah blah" - WORKS PERFECTLY

,see Chapter 6, "Manage View" - Does nothing :/

Screen shot 2013-03-12 at 5.16.22 PM.png

• 9. Re: [Help]Cross References Ignoring <chapNum/> And Not Linking to Destination

When I get to the About This Guide section, in Acrobat, the numerals continue with no regard for the TYPE of numerals being used.

It isn't until I get to page 10 (page 19 if you count the cover, TOC, (C), and About This Guide).

Then, from chapter 3 on, it's using the appropriate page numbers.

Screen shot 2013-03-12 at 5.04.56 PM.png

Ugh. That is a much more likely cause of broken xrefs than my longshot suggestion. Do you have "Automatically Update Page & Section Numbers" checked in Book Page Numbering Options? When you restart numbering for Chapter 1, how did you do it?

I can say that this issue, more and more, is starting to look like a xref bug.

I have a page here in Chapter 2, witch two xrefs.

, see Appendix C, "blah blah" - WORKS PERFECTLY

,see Chapter 6, "Manage View" - Does nothing :/

Unfortunately, the general forums wisdom is that xrefs and books don't mix. Maybe one of the long-doc forum regulars who came to InDesign from FrameMaker will show up in your thread with a fix. (That isn't "Go back to Frame," I mean.)  I was able to make it work more than once, but I wound up disassembling all xrefs and replacing them with manual placeholders, and then at the very end of the project when everything else was done, I'd go and re-create 'em all without stopping to do anything else, then export the final PDF the moment I had all of the xrefs in place. "Fragile" is a word that I used more than once, usually with a grimace and a hand on my forehead.

Consider DTP Tools' CrossReferencesPRO. By all reports it's a great product, and everyone who has bought it on my suggestion sings its praises.