5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2013 5:35 PM by Jim Curtis

Premiere Crashes on Export

zekesauce

Hi everyone,

I run a media team at our church, we've recently switched over to Premiere CS6 (Creative Cloud) on 6 workstations from FCP7.  Overall we've had a great experience, but we have constant problems with media export.

We turn around 5-10 projects every week, with different media, and output formats.  Almost every week, we have one project that refuses to export.  Sometimes, the source material is ProRes422, but this specific week its H264 footage, shot on a 5D. 

Export starts, processors ramp up to full, and somewhere in the middle, processor usages drops dramatically, and export times start to increase from 4-5min to 4-5hours.  In reality, it will never export, the estimated time continues to grow since the program has hung on a specific frame.  Sometimes we've found FXFactory to be the culprit, sometimes a combination of media formats.   Often times, exports will only work if we export as the "Sequence Setting" and then check "Use Previews"

I've tried running Digital Rebellion's CS Repair, Housekeeper, and Corrupt clip finder.

Over the weekend, I completely erased my main editing comp, and did a fresh install of all apps, ran updates.  Ect.

Here are the specs:

17in MBP 2.3GHz i7

16gb Ram

Radeon HD 6750M 1GB

SSD for boot drive

500GB drive for media

OS X 10.8.2

Premiere: 6.0.2

Just had an export hang.  Came running to the forum for help, I'm outta ideas... please help!

• 1. Re: Premiere Crashes on Export
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Check your sequence for gaps.  Use Sequence>Go To Gap>Next/Previous In Sequence.

Sometimes gaps in a sequence can hang exporting.

Jeff

• 2. Re: Premiere Crashes on Export
            zekesauce Level 1

Good to know, but unfortunately that's not the issue on this sequence.

• 3. Re: Premiere Crashes on Export
              joe bloe premiere Level 5

somewhere in the middle, processor usages drops dramatically, and export times start to increase from 4-5min to 4-5hours.  In reality, it will never export, the estimated time continues to grow since the program has hung on a specific frame.

Sounds like a suspicious piece of media at the point where it hangs.

Try to identify, isolate and evaluate the source media file where the freeze occurs.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Premiere Crashes on Export
                zekesauce Level 1

Figured it out.

Looks like we were using a font that Premiere didn't like.   Just exported out two videos.

I'd love to say this will be the solution to all our problems, but we've had several videos that didn't have any fonts at all, crash on export.  I guess just one sequence at a time!!  thanks!

• 5. Re: Premiere Crashes on Export
                  Jim Curtis Level 3

joe bloe premiere wrote:

Sounds like a suspicious piece of media at the point where it hangs.

If renders fail repeatedly at a given point, either this is the case, a bad font as you've discovered, or a plug-in has gone wacky.  Replacing or removing and re-applying can often get you back in business.

A HEARTY CONGRATULATIONS AND THANKS to you for trying to figure this out on your own before posting.  Too many people post here before they even try anything else.  Digital Rebellion's Preference Manager is invaluable with Pr on Mac, as the Prefs get screwed up way too easily.