4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2013 7:46 AM by strangerstrangland

Windows 8 and Premiere 11???  Please help

strangerstrangland

Hi

I'm on windows 8 (64 bit) and PE11.  Today I lost all my work although I had saved regularly and I have to re-render very often.  Tonight as I'm trying to re-do my day's work, I'm losing sync and entire clips keep disapearing.  It seems to be becoming increasingly unstable.  I really don't know if I'm doing something wrong or, possibly, Windows 8 and Premire Elements 11 aren't the best fit.  I've noticed a few other post mentioning Window 8 problems although they seem to differ from mine.

The head of IT at my company wants to remove windows 8 and install windows 7 on my computer (mainly becasue of a VPN issue) but I am afraid I will lose all my work.

Can anyone suggest a way, or a number to call, to tell me how I can save my work, rid myself of windows 8 and then re-import my work into a windows 7 enviornment?  I fear 2 weeks of my work is going up in smoke. 

PS I posted earlier, I am also having increasing frequent crashes.

Please Help

Thank you

• 1. Re: Windows 8 and Premiere 11???  Please help
          nealeh Level 5
          1. I'd advise making a complete system backup before handing your machine over for an OS install. I use the product Macrium Reflect. There is a paid version that I have, but there is also a free version.
          2. Make a note of the path to your project assets and the .prel file.
          3. Ensure that all those project assets (stills, clips, sounds) and the .prel project file are backed up to another disk, or flash drive. Deactivate PRE11 on your machine before handing it over for the W7 installation.
          4. After W7 is installed copy those project assets and the .prel file back to the same folder on the machines hard drive as in (2) above.
          5. Install PRE11 and activate.
          6. Open the project file.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Windows 8 and Premiere 11???  Please help
            strangerstrangland Level 1

Thanks Nealeh,

I had done the back up as suggested and it worked out fine. I used a different product than Reflect, so it was a bit fiddly getting it re-installed, but once I did , it was fine.  It is now a pleasure working on Widnows 7 and PE11.  Thanks for the tips

• 3. Re: Windows 8 and Premiere 11???  Please help
              nealeh Level 5

Glad to hear it all worked out. I upgraded my 2008 Quad Core PC to Windows 8 in January and am persevering although some problems are making me consider reverting to W7 as well. I've had some hard disk failures since the upgrade and, while possibly coincidence, I suspect W8 (gut feel more than anything). Also some of the screen elements in PRE may work one day, but not the next. Weird.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Windows 8 and Premiere 11???  Please help
                strangerstrangland Level 1

Hi Nealeh,

I think it is more than 'gut' feeling about Windows 8.  I had the same experience sometimes things worked, other times they didn't. Colleagues & I have problems with other programs after the Window 8 upgraded.  Infact, my VPN would not work at all with Windows 8 but works fine on W7 (luckily so I can work from home on this snowy day) 

However,  since my last post I've had a new weird problems, although all the annimation footage that I generated in Photoshop/Premiere import just fine, I have to re-import them every day.  However the .MOV which worked perfectly on the Windows 8 platform now have the 'importer reported a generic error' in Windows 7.  According to the forums it may be a codec problem so I'm going to try re-importing them into the computer or try this codec solution I read about (although it seems very confusing)

I didn't want to convert to Windows 7 mid project, but with all the major crashes I had no choice.  If you are mid project, maybe you can publish the project as is to use with the new platform.  I wish I had been able to do that, exspecially with the animations as they took a long time to build, and it looks like I'm going to have to start from scratch.

Good luck with getting off Windows 8.