9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2013 11:40 AM by JoannaBrown1

InDesign shuts down when dealing with Arabic

JoannaBrown1

The program shuts down after approximatelly 30 seconds as soon as I start playing with the font - changing to Simplified Arabic etc.

The same problem occurs on two seperate computers, where CS was installed  - work computer where I'm using a purchased version and home computer where I have a trial version installed.

I didn't seem to have this problem until I downloaded a script for RTL.

Now I have donwloaded the Arabic version of CS6 with an in-build RTL option and the problem is still present.

English materials work fine.

• 1. Re: InDesign shuts down when dealing with Arabic
          PrintFusion45 Employee Moderator

Which OS you're using Win/Mac? Please use Pastebin.com to paste the raw crash data if its Mac/Win and then post the link here.

• 2. Re: InDesign shuts down when dealing with Arabic
            JoannaBrown1 Level 1

I'm sorry, I'm not uderstanding, I'm using Windows and this is the message that is appearing:

Adobe InDesign CS6 has stopped working. A problem casued the Program to stop working correctly. Wndows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

• 3. Re: InDesign shuts down when dealing with Arabic
              Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Does it only happen with Simplified Arabic? It's my understanding that this font is full of workarounds that are specific for MS Office applications. I personally wouldn't use it in an InDesign workflow.

• 4. Re: InDesign shuts down when dealing with Arabic
                JoannaBrown1 Level 1

Actually it happens with every other Arabic font that I'm using, which one would you suggest?

• 5. Re: InDesign shuts down when dealing with Arabic
                  JoannaBrown1 Level 1

I just tried Adobe Arabic - same thing - program shutting down.

• 6. Re: InDesign shuts down when dealing with Arabic

Well, that's obviously not the problem!

Can you give us some more details?

Is this only in one document, or does it happen in all documents, even if you start a fresh one? How is the Arabic text getting into ID - are you copy/pasting, or placing Word docs, or some other kind of document, or are you keying it in directly? 

The same problem occurs on two seperate computers, where CS was installed  - work computer where I'm using a purchased version and home computer where I have a trial version installed.

I didn't seem to have this problem until I downloaded a script for RTL.

So, which version of ID are you using at work? Which script did you download? How were you handling Arabic before you downloaded this script?

• 7. Re: InDesign shuts down when dealing with Arabic
                      JoannaBrown1 Level 1

I am using CS6 at work - a purchased version.

I am copying and pasting the Arabic text from Word Documents and/or Excell.

Before, I was using Arabic fonts without any issues. Then, I had to incorporate some English words o the Arabic text and this started causing problems, as it would reverse some of the words. So I decided to download an Arabic script from here:

http://www.andrewheiss.com/blog/2011/06/24/using-arabic-in-indesign-cs5-without-indesign-m e/

to be able to use the RIGHT to LEFT option. As soon as this script was installed, the errors started occuring.

Today I installed a CS6 version for Arabic (trial) on my work computer to see if this will resolve this issue. The same problem for all the Arabic files I am dealing with.

• 8. Re: InDesign shuts down when dealing with Arabic

Um. This post is full of guesses.

I am going to guess that under Edit -> Preferences -> Clipboard Handling you have "All Information" instead of "Text Only." Is my guess correct?  Because copy/pasting RTL stuff from Excel has been problematic for me in the past when Excel's native styling made it into InDesign.

I would furthermore guess that:

1) it worked before because the RTL text flow was turned on in Word, and that info carried across on the clipboard, but

2) now when you try to turn on RTL text flow in InDesign it's freaking out on "Left to Right" versus "Default direction" properties

So my final guess would be that a change in workflow will end the crashes. It's a long shot, but I would suggest that you either

1) Only File -> Place documents, never copy/paste

or

2) Change the Clipboard Handling settings to Text Only, and continute using your copy/paste workflow. But the text will always flow in the wrong direction until you apply one of the RTL paragraph direction scripts.

I'd strongly sugggest that you abandon the habit of copy/pasting complex-script text. It's a disaster, really. Most of my complex-script workflows tend towards trying to strip as much Word garbage off of text as I possibly can, all the way down to raw Unicode text when I can do so, and then placing those stripped-down files into Word.

When I can't do that (when I need to preserve some parts of Word formatting), one trick that I've used in the past is to have character styles called "Overt LTR" and "Overt RTL" in Word when I needed English words in the middle of Arabic paragraphs, and vice versa. This is necessary because InDesign has a setting that I don't think Word has: "Default Direction." So in a mixed paragraph, it will try to apply LTR to Latin script and RTL to Arabic script. This causes problems of all kinds, especially when you have mixed numerals (e.g. phone numbers in Arabic numerals, but all other numbers in Hindi numerals).

But since Word and InDesign handle complex and RTL scripts quite differently, there will always be some pre-InDesign hygiene necessary, and some significant cleanup within InDesign once the text is in.

• 9. Re: InDesign shuts down when dealing with Arabic
                          JoannaBrown1 Level 1

I think you are right. Actually, I'm pretty sure you are right. Thank you, I will keep you updated if this works.

Appreciate your quick response.