6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2018 7:32 AM by c.pfaffenbichler

Photoshop CS6 is randomly flattening .psd files

BluElement

I have been using CS5 for months, but just recently started a new job which uses CS6. I am working on a company laptop running Windows 7. I have never seen this problem before and could find nothing online about others having this issue.

What's happening is that I save a .psd file the same way I've done for the last 8 years, but every once in a while, the .psd files are flattened the next time I open them. This has happened 4 times now.

The first time, I wrote it off as a user error. I saved a backup .psd file and continued on. The second time was the same file, but I had the backup file which I was able to revert to an older version and restart from there.

Edit: I should also add that the third and fourth files were different files from the one used in the first two instances.

The third time, I was testing it. I saved a backup file and then continued to work on the file. I would save it, close the file, and reopen it to see if it was flattened. The 10th or 11th time I did this, the file was indeed flattened. The fourth time this has happened was on a brand new file I had started at the end of the day yesterday, and this morning it is flattened.

Like I said, I couldn't find any indication on google or this forum of people having the same problem, and I have absolutely no idea what would cause photoshop to do this. I really don't want to have to keep a secondary .psd file updated as a backup for every single project I work on, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Message was edited by: BluElement

• 1. Re: Photoshop CS6 is randomly flattening .psd files
          Noel Carboni Level 8

I have a theory of why that might be happening...

Did, as any part of your workflow, you save a PDF file?

There's a sequence of operations that can result in the setting for the [  ] Layers checkbox in the Save dialog to be turned off, which can indirecty result in a later save causing the saved document to be flattened.

Double check your [  ] Layers checkbox when doing a Save As operation.

It's a setting that almost never gets changed, so we tend to ignore it.

Layers.png

See also:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/psd_pdf_flattened_psd

-Noel

• 2. Re: Photoshop CS6 is randomly flattening .psd files
            BluElement Level 1

After further testing, I think that is exactly what's happening. I know I saved at least some of those files as pdfs at some point. I'll have to remember to double check that box from now on. Thank you, Noel. You're a great help.

• 3. Re: Photoshop CS6 is randomly flattening .psd files
              Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

Noel, I'm bumping this old thread after someone asked the same question.  I've had this happen to me twice.  The first time I thought I must have messed up somehow, but the sencond time, (with work for the same clients from hell) I was completely sure I had done it right, and then I remembered turning off the layers option in the PDF file that went to the printer, before finally saving out the layered PSD file.  It was a fair bit of work, and I had to do some of it again because I needed the background for another advert. 

All part of life's learning process, and I have mentioned the benefit of periodically savinf big projects with sequential names, when people have complained about lost work on this forum.  I guess even as single person businesses, we should try to addopt a sort of ISO9000 best practice, or elements there of at least.  It has been life saving having access to all my data while my big system box was out of commission.  Easily worth the price of Shadow Protect and a few external drives.  I got the big box back today, so happy days...

• 4. Re: Photoshop CS6 is randomly flattening .psd files
                Noel Carboni Level 8

I hope this helps people.

Glad you got your computer up and running again, Trevor.  I know how lost I'd be without mine.

-Noel

• 5. Re: Photoshop CS6 is randomly flattening .psd files
                  talyemmanuela Level 1

It's appalling that people are taking this lightly. I rarely save PDF because I'm not a Graphic Designer so I tend to forget after that amount of time this absolutely stupid feature! It is hours of work lost as I have to redo the entire thing to make it editable again. Why would I want to Save as pdf and then have my file switched to PDF? Isn't the use case for most users that you would have an editable Photoshop file and just save a PDF when you are done? and go back to the psd and choose to save again if that's the case? why would I flatten layers? This boils my blood, so much work wasted with a software that costs so much

• 6. Re: Photoshop CS6 is randomly flattening .psd files
                    c.pfaffenbichler Level 9
                    Isn't the use case for most users that you would have an editable Photoshop file and just save a PDF when you are done?

Well, ideally layouts that include text and graphics would be done in Indesign or Illustrator, but if one has to create the montage in psd for whatever reason then: Yes, a layered psd, tif or psb and a pdf copy would be a proper approach.

But if users forget to check »As a Copy« when saving the pdf that is not Adobe’s direct doing, is it?

This boils my blood, so much work wasted with a software that costs so much

Adobe cannot prevent all possible user mistakes; though I concede that this issue has come up so often that it should merit some additional alert or dialog/interface change to make it less likely to happen.