Yes, you use Share instead of File/Export.
But how you save a file to your hard drive and what format you choose depends very much on what you plan to do with the file once you output it. Do you plan to: Use it in another project? Use it on a web site? Use it to create a DVD or BluRay? Upload it to YouTube, Vimeo or Facebook? Display it on an iPad?
(1) Is Export always grayed out?
(2) Is ther no way to just export in PrE 10 without going through "Share"?
(3) Is there an easy way to know what actual file format (extension) you're going to get when saving through "Share"?
(4) Is ther a way to save the "Online" formats to your hard drive instead of uploading them straight to the web?
(5) Is there a way to save in the uploadable "Online" formats with no Internet connection?
1. No. I found one single rare use. If you have created a title it will be in the Asset box. If you select it, Export is not greyed out. You can export the title for use in another project.
2. In PrE the only way to get out put is through Share. I've read that in the progression of versions functions migrated from Export to Share, but I don't know that for a fact.
3. There are clues in the preset drop down lists and under the advanced tab, but I can't find it. I only use a few, so I know what the will be.
4. Yes. Share > Computer > AVCHD > press "Presets" and look for it
5. Yes. That's what happens in #4. You pick a file location and it sits there until you upload it.
Ah! Great responses whsprague! Thanks to everyone for responding!