13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2013 5:15 AM by Paul.Triffitt

JetForms processing slow on new Citrix server

Zivio

JetForms processing on a new Citrix server running Windows 2008 R2 takes twice as long as on the legacy Windows 2003 server.  

Example invoice processing/printing: Legacy = 8-10 seconds New = 16-20 seconds.   

Printing same invoice directly from Adobe Reader takes 5.5 seconds on both servers, so it doesn't appear to be a network issue. 

Any ideas why the latency?  We are currently testing with NO antivirus software installed/enabled on the new server.

• 1. Re: JetForms processing slow on new Citrix server
          Paul.Triffitt

If your reading the data files from a collector directory, presumably youve set the polling frequency same as the old server ?

How did you migrate, clean re-installation on 2008 - if so have you applied all of the same settings/config ?

• 2. Re: JetForms processing slow on new Citrix server
            Zivio Level 1

Hi Paul -

I appreciate your reply!

Not sure about polling frequency.  Dat files do go to a common directory where they get processed.  How/Where is polling frequency set?   I have a feeling they'd have been set the same as old server because the software wouldn't install to the new server from original CD media so we simply copied c:/jfsrvr directory from old to new server.

Since you're questioning "clean re-installation" is it possible the "copy over" method could have introduced some hiccups?

• 3. Re: JetForms processing slow on new Citrix server
              Zivio Level 1

Paul -

Just found out that our ERP vendor actually did a clean install sometime after my "copy over".

I also found the setting for polling/scan time.   It was set at default 5 seconds.  Set it back to 1 second, stopped/restarted Central and retested.   Printing latency is still there ...

• 4. Re: JetForms processing slow on new Citrix server
                Paul.Triffitt Level 1

So are all other settings the same ? If you copied-over again after the inastall, they should be.

If they are, then it sounds like something else outside of Central is the problem - server resources changed ? any other external integrations with Central (lookups for data, etc) ?

• 5. Re: JetForms processing slow on new Citrix server
                  Zivio Level 1

Yes, all other settings the same.    Thanks for the troubleshooting advice.   Server resources should be better, not diminished.  Problem must be outside of Central as you suggest.

• 6. Re: JetForms processing slow on new Citrix server
                    Paul.Triffitt Level 1

have a look in the log file jfserver.log, you might be able to see from that which step of job is taking the longest time, or see a difference compared to the previous installation.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: JetForms processing slow on new Citrix server
                      Zivio Level 1

GREAT advice, Paul -- I feel like I'm getting somewhere now!   I used Excel to compare log entries for the legacy vs. new server on same print job and determined where the delays occur.  There are two entries that each add about a 4 second difference between the servers:

03/15/13 09:16:46 C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Central\Bin\jfmerge: [289]MDF file `C:\jfsrvr\forms\INVOICE_USER.mdf' opened.

and

03/15/13 09:16:52 C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Central\Bin\jfserver.exe: [307]Launching task '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Central\Bin\uncollate" "C:\jfsrvr\Data\JfServer.TFC" -Z"\\HFE-DCFS01.hfe.local\2C-Sacto" "-f260,261" -d'.

Not sure exactly where to go with this, but at least I have a definitive area to investigate with our network engineering company.   Any ideas about this?

• 8. Re: JetForms processing slow on new Citrix server
                        Paul.Triffitt Level 1

Sounds like the network then, presumably the initial jfmerge is going to write output to that network location, so delay is in setting-up connection or writing to that location.

Not familiar with 'uncollate' but again it is acccessing that location.

i suggest you try and test the connectivity without actually using Central - so eg use DOS command line to copy a file to that network location, and time it on the old and the new server.

• 9. Re: JetForms processing slow on new Citrix server
                          Zivio Level 1

Hi Paul -- thanks again for taking time to work with me on this.   I did the DOS test and even copying a 6meg file was practically instantaneous on the new server.

I had previously reported on the 2 lines in the log file that are adding the delay.   The thing is, there are actually 8 total lines in the log file accessing the same network location.   Only 2 of the eight lines are delayed comparing new vs old server.   Here are all of the lines in order as they appear in the log file.  (There are 129 actual entries in the log, but these are the only 8 that access the C: drive location):

03/15/13 10:50:21 C:\Program Files\Adobe\Central\Bin\jfserver.exe: [307]Launching task '"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Central\Bin\jfptool" "C:\jfsrvr\Data\IN1006518.dat" "IN1006518_ds.dat" "C:\jfsrvr\jfmerge.ini" -stripport'.

03/15/13 10:50:21 C:\Program Files\Adobe\Central\Bin\jfserver.exe: [307]Launching task '"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Central\Bin\jfmerge" "*" "C:\jfsrvr\Data\IN1006518_ds.dat" -afxon -apr"" -all"C:\jfsrvr\jfserver.log" -zNUL: -asl1 -amq0 -jmst  -f260,261 -aii"C:\jfsrvr\jfmerge.ini"'.

03/15/13 10:50:21 C:\Program Files\Adobe\Central\Bin\jfmerge: [125]* Processing data file: 'C:\jfsrvr\Data\IN1006518_ds.dat'.

03/15/13 10:50:21 C:\Program Files\Adobe\Central\Bin\jfmerge: [289]MDF file `C:\jfsrvr\forms\INVOICE_USER.mdf' opened.

03/15/13 10:50:22 C:\Program Files\Adobe\Central\Bin\jfserver.exe: [307]Launching task '"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Central\Bin\jfmerge" "*" "C:\jfsrvr\Data\IN1006518_ds.dat" -aspwindows -afxon -apr"" -all"C:\jfsrvr\jfserver.log" -z"\\HF-DCFS.hfe.local\2C-Sacto/EMF=C:\jfsrvr\Data\JfServer.TFC" -asl1 -amq0 -jmst  -aii"C:\jfsrvr\jfmerge.ini" -advglobal:pagecount=1'.

03/15/13 10:50:22 C:\Program Files\Adobe\Central\Bin\jfmerge: [125]* Processing data file: 'C:\jfsrvr\Data\IN1006518_ds.dat'.

... and then the last two that each take 4 seconds longer than on the legacy server:

03/15/13 10:50:22 C:\Program Files\Adobe\Central\Bin\jfmerge: [289]MDF file `C:\jfsrvr\forms\INVOICE_USER.mdf' opened.

03/15/13 10:50:23 C:\Program Files\Adobe\Central\Bin\jfserver.exe: [307]Launching task '"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Central\Bin\uncollate" "C:\jfsrvr\Data\JfServer.TFC" -Z"\\HF-DCFS.hfe.local\2C-Sacto" "-f260,261" -d'.

• 10. Re: JetForms processing slow on new Citrix server
                            Paul.Triffitt Level 1

I dont follow your loigc as to these last two being '4 seconds slower' as this  entry is showing as copmleting within a second ?  and the whole set of log entries only covers 2 seconds ?

03/15/13 10:50:22 C:\Program Files\Adobe\Central\Bin\jfmerge: [289]MDF file `C:\jfsrvr\forms\INVOICE_USER.mdf' opened.

• 11. Re: JetForms processing slow on new Citrix server
                              Zivio Level 1

~(_8^(|)  DOH! 

Sorry, I posted the relevant log entries from the LEGACY server instead of the new.  I'm also assuming that log entries post the BEGIN time of the particular task ... this appears to be the case from other lines I've examined.  Here are the correct problematic entries from the new server:

03/15/13 09:16:46 C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Central\Bin\jfmerge: [289]MDF file `C:\jfsrvr\forms\INVOICE_USER.mdf' opened.

03/15/13 09:16:51 C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Central\Bin\jfmerge: [230]Logo file name not supplied in graph command

So, I read a 5 second delay from the start of jfmerge: [289]MDF to the start of the next jfmerge: [230] line above.

03/15/13 09:16:52 C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Central\Bin\jfserver.exe: [307]Launching task '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Central\Bin\uncollate" "C:\jfsrvr\Data\JfServer.TFC" -Z"\\HFE-DCFS01.hfe.local\2C-Sacto" "-f260,261" -d'.

03/15/13 09:16:58 C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Central\Bin\jfserver.exe: [308]Sleeping for 5 seconds.

And here's a 6 second delay from jfserver.exe: [307]Launching task ... to where the "sleeping" comand begins.

This is 11 seconds vs 2 seconds (as you noted) from the legacy server.  That gives a 9 second difference, but there was another line or two that was actually 1 second quicker on the new server.

• 12. Re: JetForms processing slow on new Citrix server
                                Zivio Level 1

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8750515/Citrix%20P21%20JetForms%20Printer%20Latency%20Trace-2013%2 0Mar%2015.xlsx

PS:  You may access my entire log data analysis in Excel at the above link.   This may make more sense as it shows side-by-side comparison of the legacy log file entries vs. the new server log.

• 13. Re: JetForms processing slow on new Citrix server
                                  Paul.Triffitt Level 1

I suspect it is something to do with the printer set-up.  You are using '-aspwindows' on the slow jfmerge, which means you are using the windows default printer driver at runtime, so it is probably all related to how the printers are set-up on the new server, or the drivers that are installed on that server - but i dont know why that delay would all happen at the start of the job.  For the best performance and print results, you normally use the 'drivers' supplied with Central, but theres probably a good reaosn you aren't doing that.