4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2013 9:17 PM by tyglider RSS

orientation filter not working

tyglider

Hi,

After trmming the images of white space I have been trying to use the Adobe Bridge CS5 orientation filter to identify the orientation of large groups of images, however the images it tells me are square, are not actually square. An example is an image that's 3948 x 4072 px, another is 1793 x 1914px both of these images are coming up as square in the orientation filter. I would have thought that unless the dimentions of both width and hight are the same it's either portrait or landscape. If the orentation filter is not actually the best way of identifing portrait and landscape images what is?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: orientation filter not working
          Omke Oudeman Community Member

If the orentation filter is not actually the best way of identifing portrait and landscape images what is?

That depends on your definition of portrait and landscape. It seems Bridge has roughly a margin of 11 % difference between W and H. I tried files from 100 x 100 and increased pixels. 100 x 111 is seen as square, 100 x 112 is a portrait.

While this is arguable because square indeed matches the W x H it is also arguable to not call a 100 x 110 a portrait because it really looks more a square then a portrait.

Is there a particular reason you want such exact filtering?

• 2. Re: orientation filter not working
            Curt Y Community Member

The orietation is a metadata field recorded by the camera.  So with orientation not sure if it just sorts by the metadata field or by the dimension. 

Run a test.   Take a landscape picture and crop it to a definate portrait size and "save as".  Then run the orientation filter on the images and see what happens.

Please report back answer for us viewers.

• 3. Re: orientation filter not working
              Omke Oudeman Community Member

Run a test.   Take a landscape picture and crop it to a definate portrait size and "save as".  Then run the orientation filter on the images and see what happens.

This acts like expected, cropping a landscape to portrait puts it under the portrait orientation filter. And it should so because not all files (by far not) are created by digital camera and/or have metadata about orientation written to.

It is purely based on dimensions in the metadata

• 4. Re: orientation filter not working
                tyglider Community Member
                Is there a particular reason you want such exact filtering?

I need to create square images to use on a website from product images provided by suppliers that are all sorts of shapes and sizes. Using a Photoshop droplet the images are trimmed of white space then I need to identify if each image is either portrait or landscape so I can use another droplet to change the either the height or width to a specific image size, then change the canvas size to match - doing that gives me a specifically sized square image no matter what it was originally. The problem is when Bridge tells me a landscape image is portrait or vise versa the image gets cropped when the canvas size is changed. As they are product images it's noticible when bits are missing.