9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2013 9:05 PM by hengwen RSS

Can I lock master page items on specific document pages?

hengwen Community Member

I design a 56-page publication. Every issue has 40 BW pages & 16 color pages (2 signatures which land on 1-2, 4, 13, 16, 25, 27-30, 32, 41, 44, 53, 55-56). So I set those up with a color master page.

The problem occurs when I need to rearrange pages in the document: The master page elements move with everything else, of course, frequently creating chaos out my color-BW sequence.

Is there any way to lock the color master pages onto the page numbers where I need them? Or is my only choice to cut and paste whole pages, leaving the master items in place? Very tedious and doesn't necessarily prevent me from disturbing the sequence, since I usually customize the master elements on each color page, which unlocks them.

You get my firstborn if you have any other tricks or suggestions to help keep the sequence stabilized.  

Thanks in advance!

Gwen

• 1. Re: Can I lock master page items on specific document pages?
          Peter Spier CommunityMVP

Why not two versions of the master page? One color, one B&W, then just change the master assigned.

• 2. Re: Can I lock master page items on specific document pages?
            hengwen Community Member

I already have 4 master pages in the document: 2 for color pages and 2 for BW. The problem is when I move, for example, pages 42bw-43bw in front of pages 24bw-25c, my color page sequence changes from

1-2, 4, 13, 16, 25, 27, 28, 29, 30, 32, 41, 44, 53, 55, 56   to

1-2, 4, 13, 16, 27, 29, 30, 31, 32, 34, 43, 44, 53, 55, 56

So you can imagine how how quickly the sequence gets completely confused when I start moving multiple pages and spreads in different directions throughout the document.

I obviously try to rectify the sequence each time I move anything. But to my horror, I recently discovered I'd accidentally eliminated a valuable color page (made it bw) in 2 previous issues. My client never noticed, thank goodness.

• 3. Re: Can I lock master page items on specific document pages?
              Peter Spier CommunityMVP

I'm not sure I see a problem other than you need to keep a chart of what pages should be color and what B&W, and the last thing you should do is go to separatitons preview and turn off the black plate. Compare the chart to the pages in seps preview. Black and White pages should be blank. Any page that isn't blank should be in the color section.

• 4. Re: Can I lock master page items on specific document pages?
                [Ariel] Community Member

If you actually move pages with the layout>pages>move pages command, the

master pages will move along with the pages, so no confusion should

occur. I think that is also the case when you drag pages in the pages panel.

The problem with master pages getting messed up is when text reflows

onto another page that has the wrong master.

I offer a script which allows you to link master pages with paragraph

styles, though, if that's any help. Check out "Apply Masters to Pages"

under the scripting tab on www.freelancebookdesign.com

Ariel

• 5. Re: Can I lock master page items on specific document pages?
                  Peter Spier CommunityMVP

I think you misunderstand the problem, or I seriously do. If you shuffle th page order differnt pages fall into the signature that will be in color. If the master applied is inappropriate for that signature  it needs to be changed. It's not really a case of the master not following the page.

In line with not being clear, that chart I mentioned previously should be absolute page numbers and you should not rely on section numbering or the page numbers assigned to the pages in ID.

• 6. Re: Can I lock master page items on specific document pages?
                    hengwen Community Member

Ariel--thanks for your reply, but

"If you actually move pages with the layout>pages>move pages command, the

master pages will move along with the pages"

is exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

Peter--you do understand the problem, and I do check my pages panel frequently and do the color separations preview with black turned off. But obviously things got away from me for a couple issues. (I always use the previous issue as a template for the current one.) To make things more complicated, sometimes the publication is only 48 pages (16color, 32bw), so the sequence changes again.

My original post was searching for a way to permanently attach the color masters to the specific signature pages where I need them, which would eliminate any confusion as to what was supposed to be color. I guess the answer is "NO".

I'll try putting a copy of a complete pages chart on the pasteboard by each master page and see if that helps, but it's not the solution I was hoping to find.

Anybody else have other ideas?

• 7. Re: Can I lock master page items on specific document pages?
                      BobLevine CommunityMVP

You can't avoid it.

Whatever master you assign to a page is what follows it around. You'll

need to reassign the masters to pages that have been moved. I believe it

was Peter who pointed that out earlier.

Bob

• 8. Re: Can I lock master page items on specific document pages?
                        Peter Spier CommunityMVP

If you want something on the master page pasteboard to show up on the document pages it must be toching the bleed or slug (if any) or the page itself. Pasteboards are page-specific.

• 9. Re: Can I lock master page items on specific document pages?
                          hengwen Community Member

Thanks for that tip, Peter! I thought I was going to have to put the charts next to every single page when I realized they weren't moving with the masters.... but now they do.