Might be they were locked in CS4. By default, the prefs are set in CS4 and later to prevent selection of locked objects (and you may have changed this in CS4) which prevents you from overriding them, or even placing content int a locked placeholder on a master page.
Thanks for getting back to me...
I've checked the object properties on the master pages in CS6 (we no longer have CS4 installed at work...) and the folio text boxes are definitely not locked. Also, perhaps most indicatively, the problem is intermittent - some pages work correctly, others not. In a 64 page document only 2 pages are experiencing the problem, for instance...
Any other thoughts?
Export to .idml (see Remove minor corruption by exporting). This couyld fall into the category of weird things that happen sometimes when you convert a legacy file by opening it directly in a new version.
I prefer to export legacy files to either .inx or .idml from the original application and open those for conversion, but short of that, an immediate export after conversion is the best bet for eliminating little (and sometimes not so little) issues that crop up from the conversion.
Already tried that - no joy unfortunately.
That, though, has fixed a lot issues in the past.
Is it possible to send you a file to have a look at?
Sure. Send me a link in a private message (click my name & go to my profile). I may not get to look for a few hours, though.
I'm curious why you would ever actually want to override a folio, let alone all master page items. Rereading the original post, I lso see you talk about dotted outlines. That could also indicate a group, or remotely possible, a master item that actually is coming from a parent page in a based on master chain.
Thanks Peter ,
I've finally found something like a solution, but it's more of a workaround than actually identifying what'd gone wrong in the first place. Creating a new blank master page and applying it to the affected spread then allowed the unselectable objects to become live by then overriding the subsequently applied blank master page - this released the troublesome folio.
Just so you know - we're overriding because of the way a file's been set up in an illustrated book - only a few pages have full-bleed artwork, and we were just overriding on those pages. I realise that it'd be far more obvious to set up with an A (folio) and B (blank) master set up, but our problem is dealing with legacy files where we can't control how they were initially set...
I'm interested if you'd still like to have a look to try and fathom what's actually gone wrong...let me know if you've got time!
Thanks for your input - helped me keep trying different things!
Sure, send me the link. The immediate crunch has passed, but I will be going out later to run errands.