7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2013 9:45 AM by Peter Spier

Master Page Overrides - Very Odd Behaviour

al_the_drummer Level 1

Hi, I have a very odd problem with InDesign CS6. 

I'm working with a converted CS4 indd, where on certain pages within the document the applied Master Page items cannot be overridden. 

I've tried a few obvious ways of fixing: trash InDesign Prefs, Export the file as idml and re-open. I've followed Bob's suggestion on another thread to cut and re-paste the affected Master Page object which hasn't fixed the problem sadly...

The exact problem is this: On specific pages in a document, the master page items are not becoming 'live' when the 'override all master page items' command is used.  The object (folio) remains in the dotted box that you'd expect from a MP item, and when selected using apple+shift, appears to duplicate.  The folio text box is NOT listed within the layer palette.  However, when apple+shift selected the object is suddenly appearing in the layers pallete - this newly created copy of the folio behaves normally, but the existing folio remains exactly as it was before still sitting in the dotted box. 

As an experiment I tried deleting this apple+shift selected box again and again to see if the MP had been applied multiply, but after 60 or so deletions I gave up... I'm tearing my hair out trying to think if there's something obvious that I've missed, but I'm pretty sure this is 'buggy' behaviour. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated... Al

• 1. Re: Master Page Overrides - Very Odd Behaviour
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Might be they were locked in CS4. By default, the prefs are set in CS4 and later to prevent selection of locked objects (and you may have changed this in CS4) which prevents you from overriding them, or even placing content int a locked placeholder on a master page.

• 2. Re: Master Page Overrides - Very Odd Behaviour
            al_the_drummer Level 1

Hi Peter,

Thanks for getting back to me...

I've checked the object properties on the master pages in CS6 (we no longer have CS4 installed at work...) and the folio text boxes are definitely not locked.  Also, perhaps most indicatively, the problem is intermittent - some pages work correctly, others not.  In a 64 page document only 2 pages are experiencing the problem, for instance...

Any other thoughts? 

Thanks,

Al

• 3. Re: Master Page Overrides - Very Odd Behaviour

Export to .idml (see Remove minor corruption by exporting). This couyld fall into the category of weird things that happen sometimes when you convert a legacy file by opening it directly in a new version.

I prefer to export legacy files to either .inx or .idml from the original application and open those for conversion, but short of that, an immediate export after conversion is the best bet for eliminating little (and sometimes not so little) issues that crop up from the conversion.

• 4. Re: Master Page Overrides - Very Odd Behaviour
                al_the_drummer Level 1

Already tried that - no joy unfortunately.

That, though, has fixed a lot issues in the past.

Is it possible to send you a file to have a look at?

• 5. Re: Master Page Overrides - Very Odd Behaviour

Sure. Send me a link in a private message (click my name & go to my profile). I may not get to look for a few hours, though.

I'm curious why you would ever actually want to override a folio, let alone all master page items. Rereading the original post, I lso see you talk about dotted outlines. That could also indicate a group, or remotely possible, a master item that actually is coming from a parent page in a based on master chain.

• 6. Re: Master Page Overrides - Very Odd Behaviour
                    al_the_drummer Level 1

Thanks Peter ,

I've finally found something like a solution, but it's more of a workaround than actually identifying what'd gone wrong in the first place.  Creating a new blank master page and applying it to the affected spread then allowed the unselectable objects to become live by then overriding the subsequently applied blank master page - this released the troublesome folio.

Just so you know - we're overriding because of the way a file's been set up in an illustrated book - only a few pages have full-bleed artwork, and we were just overriding on those pages.  I realise that it'd be far more obvious to set up with an A (folio) and B (blank) master set up, but our problem is dealing with legacy files where we can't control how they were initially set...

I'm interested if you'd still like to have a look to try and fathom what's actually gone wrong...let me know if you've got time!

Thanks for your input - helped me keep trying different things!

• 7. Re: Master Page Overrides - Very Odd Behaviour

Sure, send me the link. The immediate crunch has passed, but I will be going out later to run errands.