10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2013 9:59 AM by Peter Spier

InDesign backup "fresh" preferences

Amikoe Level 1

So whenever ID is acting sick and tired, and we want to bring it back to life, we need to get it  some"fresh" preferences.

From what I read here and elsewhere, here is what I did, tell me if I missed anything:

1.  Before anything I opened the ID Prefs window, and made a screen shot of every preference I previously personalized and would need to update (General, Interface, etc.), saved in a folder.

2.  I followed the advice to quit ID and relaunch it while holding the Cmd + Ctrl + Opt + Shift

3.  I opened the preferences again, and next to it the folder where I saved all those screen shots, select the first, clicking the space for its Quick Look, and updating each prefs window according to the saved screen shot (once I select the 1st, I can go to the 2nd and 3rd, their image will pop-up, replacing each other, no need to select and press the space bar again -- NEAT ! )...

4.  Click OK (NOT the "cancel" button!) which closes the Prefs window, then, WITHOUT creating a new document or open an old one, I chnage a few settings to my personal likings, like the default font, default colors for my picture boxes and their frames, check the PDF presets, etc...,... and then I quit ID.

5.  NOW, this is the crucial part:  SO that next time when I need to "refreshen a sick/tired InDesign" --- I create a specific BACK UP folder in which I want to keep COPIES OF MY ID PREFERENCES to be used as "good, healthy, and personalized to my likings"...

6.  I open   (my user folder)/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/<Version #>/<Language>  and copy the file called  InDesign Defaults into a folder whose name is that exact thread, so I know where to copy the file to.

7.  I open   (my user folder)/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/<Version #>/<Language> and copy the file called InDesign SavedData again, into a folder I name a the same thread.

8.  From the same folder I also copy a folder named InDesign Recovery to the same above backup folder.

------ That's it.... Am I doing this right, or am I missing something critical here?

Thanks...

• 1. Re: InDesign backup "fresh" preferences
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

InDesign Recovery is not part of the prefernces and holds the recovery data used to reconstruct a file that was open the next time you launch ID after a crash or force quit. It's not lost when you replace the prefs, especially if you are in the habit of just copying your backup copies of InDesign Defaults and InDesign SavedData back into your user profile or library. I can't see any real purpose to backing it up.

• 2. Re: InDesign backup "fresh" preferences
            Amikoe Level 1

So the only change you'd suggest is not adding the SavedData folder to my back up folder, right?

Also, I remember reading (not sure where) that once ID needs to be "refreshened" -- it's a better idea to first let it create a fresh new prefs file, launching ID with the Cmd + Ctrl + Opt + Shift keys pressed, and only then manually replace the 2 files.

• 3. Re: InDesign backup "fresh" preferences

There are other things worth backing up as well, like keyboard shortcuts, find/change queries, PDF Presets...

Have you read the suggestions in Replace Your Preferences?

• 4. Re: InDesign backup "fresh" preferences

As far as needing to use the keyboard method first, I don't find I need to do that, and I replace preferences on multiple systems for various reasons over the course of a year. Ive seen one report where using a manual renaming or deletion of the two files did not solve a problem, and using the keyboard method after did work, but I've never seen a report that it was required to do so before replacing with a backup set.

• 5. Re: InDesign backup "fresh" preferences
                  Amikoe Level 1

Yes, I've read that artice (yours, and that's the one that's actually mentioning the idea of first using the keyboard method first...), but I don't see what specific files I need to store as a backup, beyond the two mentioned... Also, from myexperience, when creating new prefs I haven't lost any of the others you mentioned, namely keyboard shortcuts, find/change queries, PDF Presets.

• 6. Re: InDesign backup "fresh" preferences

Right. Those things are not lost when replacing prefs, but it never hurst to have a backup of them in case you find you need to move them to a new system or share them, or you have a hard drive crash, or whatever. That post talks about where they live and how to back them up.

• 7. Re: InDesign backup "fresh" preferences
                      Amikoe Level 1

OK, I saved the 3 files, Adobe PDF Preset 1.joboptions, Saved Document Presets.dcst, and Saved Print Presets.prst.  Once I do need to use them to restore setting, can I simply DOUBLE CLICK them, and they'll find their way to their appropriate places?  Or do I need to do a search by name to find where they should go (replace the default ones)?

Also, how do I back up the other 3 settings you mentioned, workspaces, keyboard shortcut sets, and find/change queries ?

• 8. Re: InDesign backup "fresh" preferences

Files that you saved from a Define... Dialog can be reloaded by going back to the same Define... dialog and pressing the Load button. To back up the workspaces, shortcut sets and queries you just make copies of the folders or the files, as you did with the two prefs files.

• 9. Re: InDesign backup "fresh" preferences
                          Amikoe Level 1

OK as to the Define (but of course...), still not clear as to the 2nd part, where do I find those 3 files/folders?

• 10. Re: InDesign backup "fresh" preferences

Same location as InDesign Defaults file.... Should be folders in that directory for Shortcuts, Workspaces, Queries, Custom Menus, page size presets, word import options... (not all of those may be present, and there may be others on your system that I don't have). You might want to simply make a copy of that whole directory someplace.