1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 14, 2013 4:26 PM by Peter Spier

Table has too many columns for one pg in InDesign document. How do I force a break?

nottoogoodatthis

I have imported an Excel table into my InDesign document.  The table is 598 columns wide.  Obviously this isn't fitting on one page.  I want it to just keep flowing from page to page, keeping one same column at the beginning of each page (like "freeze panes" does in Excel) but it's not doing that.  Is this possible in my InDesign document or will I have to manually copy and paste 10 columns at a time, which is about how many are fitting on one page?  Any searches I do on this subject just talk about flowing rows but nothing about columns. 

• 1. Re: Table has too many columns for one pg in InDesign document. How do I force a break?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

As far as I know there's probably no way ID is going to do what you want.

You can place a table across a multiple page spread, but the odds of being able to do that and still keep the file printable are marginal, at best. You can't for example, leave blank space at the gutters unless you are able to add a blank column that spans the gutter, and the limt for multipage spreads is 10 pages wide, whcih doesn't sound like it's probably enough to hold almost 600 columns.

Perhaps placing the table using named ranges of appropriate widths would work...