12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2013 8:03 PM by shooternz

Efficiency Question - Cutting Clips

abUSER23 Level 1

Efficiency Question - Cutting Clips.

So I was wondering if there is a better way to cut my clips that I am not using. Basically I often have large long clips of raw footage that I cut down to the usable segments. Each raw file may be over an hour long and have 100s of small segments of live commentary, often I find I am cutting out slightly to long pauses in the talking and other stuff before I have a clip ready to send to the main edit.

Anyway, often I am zoomed will in so I can edit, and I press C, make a cut.. then make another a bit further up, press V, click on the segment I just cut out.. press delete and then click on and move the rest of the raw clip to the left to bump up where I made the first cut, often needing to zoom well out and then back in again to continue editing.

Is there a better way to do this? So I do not need to zoom in and out all the time... is there a way to delete a chunk of video form the sequence and have the clip automatically "close the gap" for me?

--Thanks

• 1. Re: Efficiency Question - Cutting Clips
          shooternz Level 6

Instead.....you could try editing in the Source Monitor using IN and Out Points then Insert/Overlay.

(Short cut keys for all of those commands and its a fast efficient  way of working.)

You can also set  I and Os and Ctrl Drag to the Program Monitor

• 2. Re: Efficiency Question - Cutting Clips
            abUSER23 Level 1

This idea will not work (I do not think), as each source clip may have 100s of small cuts in it. It is not a single segment form a single clip.

Also if on a 2nd pass to refining the clip I make a new edit I have to drag all the other bits to the left as a block.. so in addition I hope there is a way for it to work on all clips.. like a script or something to push everything together.

http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/12414731/img/12414731.jpg

This image is an example of what I am talking about.. see this is a single "clip", after I have cut out much of the stuff. As you can see I am doing a 2nd pass on the front of the clip and there is a gap, while the end of the clip is not yet processed.. and there are many many many deleted chunks from the source.

• 3. Re: Efficiency Question - Cutting Clips
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Shift+Delete will ripple delete the segments.

Jeff

• 4. Re: Efficiency Question - Cutting Clips
                Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

A lot of editors go with Jeff's method. For the Mac, it's Shift+Forward Delete. The clip must be selected first, however.

I prefer extract. Rather than use the Razor tool, mark In and Out around the section you want to remove. Then, use the extract button or shortcut (apostrophe) to lift the clip and close the gap at the same time. This gives you the benefit of adding the extracted clip to your clipboard in case you want to paste that section somewhere else.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Efficiency Question - Cutting Clips
                  abUSER23 Level 1

excellent!! Thank you so much!

• 6. Re: Efficiency Question - Cutting Clips
                    shooternz Level 6

This idea will not work (I do not think), as each source clip may have 100s of small cuts in it. It is not a single segment form a single clip.

How does a source clip have 100's of small cuts in it?

• 7. Re: Efficiency Question - Cutting Clips
                      abUSER23 Level 1

I put the cuts in it durinf the clean up of the clip. Then the entire stripped sequence gose as a "clip" into the main edit.

• 8. Re: Efficiency Question - Cutting Clips
                        shooternz Level 6

Thats why you have got yourself  this issue.  Odd edit workflow and technique!  IMHO

BTW: An "entire stripped sequence" would be a nest if I am understanding what you did as you meant it.

• 9. Re: Efficiency Question - Cutting Clips
                          abUSER23 Level 1

Basically I do instructional videos. I record footage and edit it so any mistakes are gone, or if I make q long a pause while thinking of the next thing to say,  or pronounce something off.. etc etc. I "strip" the section down so it is fast and punchy and sounds like I am some kind of amazing orator .. It is a simply a matter of just going though teh clip and making cuts and then deleting the bits I do not need. Even faster now that I know about ripple delete.

How would you do it then?

What is a nest?

• 10. Re: Efficiency Question - Cutting Clips
                            shooternz Level 6

I would take the Source Clip into the Source Monitor.

Mark an In Point  ("I")  where the good content starts...and an Out Point ("O")  where the good content stops.

Hit "," to Insert it to the Sequence.

Back to Source Monitor and repeat for the next section of good content in the same Source Clip..

No gaps . Done

Then ..if necessary...I would play thru  the Sequence and do Trim Edits at the editpoints.

Many different ways to "skin the cat" at Trim stage.

Alternatively in the first part:

I would take the Source Clip into the Source Monitor.

Mark an In Point ("I") where the good content starts...and an Out Point ("O") where the good content stops.

CTRL-Drag to the Program Monitor.

• 11. Re: Efficiency Question - Cutting Clips
                              abUSER23 Level 1

This would fill the project bin with stuff as well, and sometimes I put in a few cuts during a single sentence to make it feel more punchy. Thanks for your help but this seams to be the best solution.. it is really easy.. just cut,cut,shift-delete. Your method would be much more difficult.

• 12. Re: Efficiency Question - Cutting Clips
                                shooternz Level 6

This would fill the project bin with stuff as well, and sometimes I put in a few cuts during a single sentence to make it feel more punchy.

No it doesnt fill the bin at all.  Its working with a single source file.  NLEs only reference the source file ( non destructively).

Cutting in sentences...all editors do that.   Most do that from the source Monitor or using Trims.