8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2014 6:26 PM by Tonegroove

How can I assign shortcuts for navigation in 3D mode?

amin4real

I'm a 3D artist, and I've been using photoshop for texturing my models for so long. Now that photoshop has improved it's 3D features, It's making my life so easy, but there's a problem(other than the memory consumption).

I have to change my navigation from rotation to panning and zooming by clicking on the buttons on top, and for a long run it would be devastating , and I haven't found a way to assign any shortcuts to them so I can easily and quickly hover around my 3D model to texture and paint it.

I personally Believe that It won't be addressed until CS7 or some other version. I just wanted to share this question with you guys n see if there's some way that I haven't figured out yet!

• 1. Re: How can I assign shortcuts for navigation in 3D mode?
          conroy Level 5

The navigation is a mess despite there being countless 3D apps to provide inspiration to the Photoshop 3D developers. The effect of a given modifier key or combination of keys confusingly changes, depending on the mode of the Move Tool, and sometimes the wrong cusor is displayed. It's a no-brainer to allow the user to define behaviours for middle-button and right-button mouse dragging but these drags aren't utilised at all in Photoshop.

If Move Tool is active (not temporarily enabled as described below) then successive presses of V key will cycle through its 3D modes such as Rotate, Drag, Slide, etc.

While painting, navigation is possible by holding down V key to temporarily enable Move Tool.

Before painting, set Move Tool to 3D Rotate mode and select Current View in 3D panel.

Now activate a painting tool such as Brush Tool.

While the painting tool is active, hold down V to temporarily enable Move Tool and:

· drag in doc window to rotate view then release V to return to painting.

· hold down mouse button then, on a Mac at least, hold down Ctrl key then drag in doc window to drag view in the screen plane, then release mouse button before releasing Ctrl key or the view will suddenly rotate, then release V to return to painting.

Other modifier keys, alone and in combination, can change the behaviour of Move Tool. If you're very lucky, you'll find a set of modifiers to provide all three of Rotate, Drag and Slide while the Move Tool is set to one particular mode.

If you're using a tablet instead of a mouse then... I don't know.

• 2. Re: How can I assign shortcuts for navigation in 3D mode?
            amin4real Level 1

Thank's for your answer. I use a mouse and a tablet at the same time.

you'r answer is exactly what I'm doing in photoshop, and I believe this would be an intuitive thing to do for anyone who works with photoshop professionally.

Now although I belive that your answer was complete, there are some corrections that need to be mentioned

-by default you cannot cycle through the 3D modes, not at least in Windows.(That might be a bug i'm facing but I tried it on 3 different machines)

-It's not only the rotation that is needed, Sometimes you need to zoom in on your model and then rotate and pan to find the right spot.

- the Ctrl thing and the mouse buttons also do not work on a windows.

the main problem is that the normal zooming and panning in photoshop are not integrated in 3d mode, and It will make my object look pixelated, cause they consider it a 2D image.

I only need to see the 3D mode tools in keybard shortcuts and menus, then i can easily assign some keys to them and cycle between them easily, I don't belive it's a big thing to ask.

• 3. Re: How can I assign shortcuts for navigation in 3D mode?
              Flo Meier

Oh thanks for the answer i searched alot for that and hat no idea how to do that right

• 4. Re: How can I assign shortcuts for navigation in 3D mode?
                conroy Level 5

amin4real wrote:

-by default you cannot cycle through the 3D modes, not at least in Windows.(That might be a bug i'm facing but I tried it on 3 different machines)

That's strange. It's working in 13.0.1 on OS X.

amin4real wrote:

-It's not only the rotation that is needed, Sometimes you need to zoom in on your model and then rotate and pan to find the right spot.

Yes, I fully understand, and doing these three manouvres with modifier keys affecting a single Move Tool mode seems not to be possible or at least difficult to find. Annoyingly, the seldom used Roll is always easily performed, though.

- the Ctrl thing and the mouse buttons also do not work on a windows.

Again, that's strange, and must significantly interrupt your workflow.

• 5. Re: How can I assign shortcuts for navigation in 3D mode?
                  rcraighead Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'd like to revive this thread and ask if there is any way to assign keyboard shortcuts to 3D navigation tools in PS CC. It seems this is a glaring omission unless I'm missing something. Adobe would need to look no further than Sketchup to see how it's done.

• 6. Re: How can I assign shortcuts for navigation in 3D mode?
                    Carlos (Photoshopeando) Level 1

Same here. It seems very strange to me that there is no way to use the modifier keys to switch to the drag and slide move tools while "rotating" the 3d object/view. Since 3D was introduced in Photoshop (repousse memories make me shiver...), I think Adobe has gone a long way in making everything more intuitive and straightforward in 3D. In fact, if memory serves me right, I think there used to be a specific set of 3D move tools (real tools, not modes of the option bar of the standard move tool). I like them better now as part of the Move options bar, but I can't understand that they are not switchable via keyboard modifiers or some kind of "trick" (other than using the 3d-axis-widget-thing, which is too annoying for me). There must be someway... there really isn't?

• 7. Re: How can I assign shortcuts for navigation in 3D mode?
                      yezo1

I want to express the same concerns about the absence of a convenient 3D navigation. For mouse, it would be enough to have mouse wheel for zoom (real 3D, not just canvas), middle mouse button for camera rotate, and space for panning (again real 3D). For tablet users it would be very easy to assign this mouse commands to a tablet buttons. I really would like this issues to be fixed in Photoshop CC, otherwise invaluable texturing tool.

• 8. Re: How can I assign shortcuts for navigation in 3D mode?
                        Tonegroove

I'm feeling the same pain. Coming from a tool like Blender, where movement in the 3D space is top priority, it's frustrating. I think the problem is adapting Photoshop users to the world of 3D.

As mentioned earlier, using Shift-V to cycle through the different 3D tools works pretty well. The trick that I found is to set it to the orbit tool, but then make sure you don't have your object selected before rotation. In my case, I just tap on an area away from the object.. or I guess Control-D would work as well. Overloading the orbit tool to both rotate the object and orbit the view seems a little strange. Once orbit is selected, and the object is de-selected, simply holding "V" allows quick navigation around the object being painted. I don't understand why they can't just use the middle mouse button to orbit, and then the wheel to zoom (without a modifier key). I have faith that the usability will improve. I was pretty impressed by the overall functionality so far, despite the quirks.

Hope this helps!

- Sean