12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2013 7:02 AM by Rick Gerard

Rendering a composition as a PSD file?

animenigma Level 1

Hi, I was wondering if there was a way for me to render a full composition in Aftereffects as a Photoshop file (1 document) that contains all the layers?  I've searched this site as well as other forums but I wasn't able to find a solution to this issue.  I would appreciate any answers.

• 1. Re: Rendering a composition as a PSD file?
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

You don't expect this to be anything other than a still image, right?

If so, go to the point on the AE timeline you want for the still, use the Save Frame As command and pick a Photoshop document.

• 3. Re: Rendering a composition as a PSD file?
            animenigma Level 1

I already tried that option but all I get is a PSD file that has 2 layers (a character and a background) even though I had selected everything.

My composition in AE consists of many layers that make up an animation.  The reason I want them to be one PS file which has all the layers is because I need to create additional drawings and I need some of these drawings in the layers to be behind/front of certain elements. 

• 4. Re: Rendering a composition as a PSD file?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Show me a screenshot..

• 5. Re: Rendering a composition as a PSD file?
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

The reason I want them to be one PS file which has all the layers is because I need to create additional drawings and I need some of these drawings in the layers to be behind/front of certain elements.

To do this, you should place AE's timeline cursor over the frame that allows you to see all the elements in question, and THEN use the Save Frame As command.

Or you could just make the drawings you want, import them into AE, add them to the comp and scale & position them to taste.

• 6. Re: Rendering a composition as a PSD file?
                  animenigma Level 1

Here is my screen shot.  By the way, I would have imported PSD layers into AE but the reason I used AE first is because I needed to remove a green screen.

Screen Shot 2013-03-15 at 4.11.20 PM.png

• 7. Re: Rendering a composition as a PSD file?
                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

It appears you're using a sequential images, with each image set to 2 frames.  You could have imported them as an image sequence, then interpreted the frame rate to twice that of your AE comp.  You ought to look at this.

And all we can see are those frames.  There isn't anything in the screeen grab that gives us useful information on your situation.  It's still a mystery why you feel it's necessary to save the comp as a photoshop document. 

For scaling purposes?  Positioning purposes?  If so, it isn't necessary -- you can scale and position the drawings you wwant to make in Photoshop as  layers in AE.  Just make them a bit bigger than you need, and you're set.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 8. Re: Rendering a composition as a PSD file?

The first thing that jumps out at me from your composition is that you've imported a sequence of stills, then sequenced them to create a movie. Exporting the from the current CTI position will on ly give you the layer under the CTI and what I am assuming is the background.

If you want a PSD that has all of those frames then you need to stack them up on the left side of the comp.

Also, if you're just doing simple color keying it's much easier to import your sequence of files as a sequence. You'll get one layer that acts like a movie. That's usually a much better work flow.

To give you any better advice I need to know a lot more about your project. If you plan to do a bunch of hand work in Photoshop on a bunch of layers be prepared for a difficult time making the animations smooth because onion skinning and checking playback in Photoshop isn't as easy as it might be. Please give us more information about your project.

• 9. Re: Rendering a composition as a PSD file?
                        animenigma Level 1

Sorry, I should have explained better.  The reason I didn't import the files as a sequence is because both with character and the background image files there is a camera tilt and in order for me to sync them I needed them to be images like the way I had it.  In this scene, I basically need to draw a large amount of spilled ink and since I didn't find a way to effectively draw this in AE, I wanted to bring all these layers/frames into Photoshop.

I actually prefer doing it all in Aftereffects but I am used to drawing using different types of brushes in Photoshop.  I couldn't even find how to get onion skinning in AE.  Is it even possible? 

Also, by stacking the frames do you mean I have to  put them in just 1 folder because they're already in separate folders.

• 10. Re: Rendering a composition as a PSD file?

Just open up a new comp and drag all of your layers into that comp so that all layers start at frame 0 then create go to Composition > Save Frame > Photoshop Layers and you will have a layer for everything in the scene except a Camera and Lights. Saving the frame as a PSD does just that. Saves every layer that is in the frame, not every layer that is in the composition.

• 11. Re: Rendering a composition as a PSD file?
                            animenigma Level 1

This finally worked!  Thank you so much.

• 12. Re: Rendering a composition as a PSD file?

Glad I could help. If you mark the answer as answered instead of marking your reply as answered it will help others find the answer in this forum.