20 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2013 1:08 PM by John Ratard Branched from an earlier discussion.

Router Question

John Ratard Level 1

I am looking for a faster router than the Belkin N600 Wireless I presently have to increase video file transfer speed between a 4-core and 6-core computer on my network.  Does the Scooter software do this?

• 1. Re: Run different applications in Creative Suites on two computers at the same time.
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Beyond Compare proved very valuable to me to synchronize two systems and did not require intermediate storage on the server. The normal way would be to copy files from A to the server, and from the server to B, a two step process. With Beyond Compare you can immediately copy from A to B without the intermediate step to server storage. The speed of the copy depends on the network connection, wireless, 1 Gb, teamed 1 Gb or 10 Gb ethernet, as long as A and B (and the server) are on the same switch.

• 2. Re: Run different applications in Creative Suites on two computers at the same time.
            John Ratard Level 1

I believe we may be talking about different networks.  I do not have a server.  Linking through my Belkin dual band N router are 3 desktops via CAT5, a notebook via WiFi, and a printer via CAT5.  The router, in addition its control functions, forwards the input from the isp modem to the five devices and communication between them.  I am not experienced in router performance or whether 10Gb is adequate or 100Gb ethernet is required beween a 4-core and 6-core computer.  Information I have found for this router notes nothing in terms of Gb.

• 3. Re: Run different applications in Creative Suites on two computers at the same time.
              Harm Millaard Level 7

If you can identify another system over your router or switch by means of:

\\'computer_id'\'drive'$

you can easily transfer files over those CAT5 cables or with WIFI. Depends on your router / switch.

• 4. Re: Router Question
                Jeff Bellune Level 5

[moved to hardware forum]

• 5. Re: Router Question
                  John Ratard Level 1

Thanks.  I have Windows 7 Enterprise on the 4-core and Professional on the 6-core.  Apart from Harm's input in addition to creating a Homegroup or using the available Workgroup then setting permissions, I may need a different router to speed up the link.

• 6. Re: Router Question
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

This is what I meant:

Beyond Compare.png

It makes it extremely easy to keep files and directories synchronized on multiple systems.

It connects systems over a gigabit switch, in this case a Netgear 8 port one.

• 7. Re: Router Question
                      John Ratard Level 1

I agree, Beyond Compare keeps two copies of information synchronized.  I will keep this in mind when I need to do so.  I do not keep matching projects on separate systems but use backup on an external HD.  I do need a gigabit connection to move files quickly through a router.  It appears the EULA does not allow capture on my 4-core with CS4 while I edit on my 6-core with the CS5.5 upgrade.  I will purchase a capture program for my 4-core and transfer the resulting file to my 6-core when needed in addition to other files.  I would appreciate information on captured file compatability and a suitable program.

You mention a Netgear 8 port gigabit switch.  I am presently interested in a router with gigabit performance to transfer files between my 4-core with an ASUS P6TWS Professional motherboard and my 6-core with an ASUS P9X78 Deluxe motherboard.  In the final analysis, the slowest component in the chain, be it motherboards or router, will limit the speed so I may not have to change anything.  Also, my network is not in constant file transfer between the Internet, 3 computers, one notebook, and a printer.  In anticipation, I reviewed one specification for my Belkin on the Internet that mentioned nothing in terms of gigabit performance.  I could look in the Belkin website hoping to find the information I need but as I do not have sufficient experience with routers I need experienced help.

• 8. Re: Router Question
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

I use the following setup with two unmanaged switches, Netgear, one managed HP Procurve 6108 switch, 16 port and Draytek Vigor 2820 Vn routers on both sides.

Network setup.png

The chart does not include my Monster, the NAS, nor various wireless devices, but it is the general picture.

• 9. Re: Router Question
                          John Ratard Level 1

Wow.  That is some network you have.  I do not think I need this at present but a Draytek Vigor 2820 Vn router is presumably what I need.  Does the Netgear switch provide faster throughput than the router on its own? 

• 10. Re: Router Question
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

A router is intended for wireless and internet connections and possibly telephone, a switch is intended to connect computers, printers, TV and the like, but not for internet connections or wireless connections. The Draytek Vigor 2820 Vn does have four 1 Gb  ports and as such replicates the functionality of a 4 port switch. In my case I needed more ports than the Draytek could deliver and an unmanaged switch is far less expensive than a router, so that is why I added the Netgear switch. It is not faster than the ports in the router, but adds extra ports. (7 out of 8 are currently in use).

• 11. Re: Router Question
                              John Ratard Level 1

The Draytek Vigor 2820 Vn appears to be what I need.  For the moment, I only need 4 ports since the market is heading to WiFi on many items (TV, desktop, notebook, printers etc.).  Both of the Windows XP Pro older computers on my network using 2 ports are becoming painfully slow so they will soon be gone.  My new 6-core motherboard has a WiFi function built in.  I have found that one integrated unit in the average consumer environment tends to be less expensive than separate units.  Reliability is important since with more integration, if one main function fails then the whole is useless.  ISPs also provide an integrated modem and router in one unit but I have not gone there.

My 6-core is basically ready to go with thanks mainly to you.  A remaining issue is to clarify the EULA for my situation that I am confirming with customer support and the upgrade to 64 bit for some functions not provided on the CS5 discs.

• 12. Re: Router Question
                                jasonvp Level 3

John Ratard wrote:

I am looking for a faster router than the Belkin N600 Wireless I presently have to increase video file transfer speed between a 4-core and 6-core computer on my network.

The N600 can only provide 100Mb/s transfer rates between wired computers.  Its ports are only FastE, and not GigE.  To get GigE, you need to bump up to the N900, according to their documentation.

Personally, I think Belkin's hardware is garbage, and were I in your shoes, I wouldn't give them another penny.  But if you want to stick with them, the N900 is what you want for faster wired networking.  There are lots of other choices though, like D-Link, Cisco, Netgear, ASUS, etc, etc.  They all pale in comparison to Apple's Airport Extreme, but it only has 3 GigE ports and it sounds like you need that 4th one.  So I don't think it'll work out for you.

jas

• 13. Re: Router Question
                                  John Ratard Level 1

Belkin was bought from Costco because I needed a quick inexpensive temporary replacement for my old D-Link that suddenly failed.  Now I need fast transfers for avi files.  I do not need 4 ports in my advanced plan to replace the 2 Windows XP PCs.  I will only have a 2 year old quad and a printer that need CAT5 connections.  The rest are WiFi.

Airport Extreme sounds good.  Does the price for performance of this router far exceed the others?  If not, which of the others do you recommend in terms of performance and reliability?

• 14. Re: Router Question
                                    jasonvp Level 3

John Ratard wrote:

I do not need 4 ports in my advanced plan to replace the 2 Windows XP PCs.  I will only have a 2 year old quad and a printer that need CAT5 connections.  The rest are WiFi.

Bear in mind that you'll never get very fast transfer rates when wireless is in the mix.  Wireless networks are getting faster and faster, yes, but it'll be a long while before they're able to handle full-duplex GigE speeds.  So it's advisable that anything that's going to be taking part in big data transfers be wired in.

Airport Extreme sounds good.  Does the price for performance of this router far exceed the others?  If not, which of the others do you recommend in terms of performance and reliability?

You're going to pay an Apple tax for their Airport Extreme device as it's near $190 the last time I checked (it may have dropped since then).  But the payback is its longevity.   I've had my Airport running in the house for a couple of years now, and it's rebooted only when I've lost power at the house for longer than the UPS can handle.  They literally are just "plug it in, configure it, and forget it" kinds of devices.

Are there other devices that can match it in performance?  Good odds there are.  Can they match it for reliability?  Not that I've seen.

jas

• 15. Re: Router Question
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Your choices may well be limited due to modem requirements, depending on your internet connection.

ADSL, ADSL2, ADSL2+, analog or ISDN (annex A or B), Gb ports, WiFi 802.11n and you will not see many options left. Apple does not come up in my short-list for my internet connection, but I need ADSL2+ ISDN, so the only brand to come up is Draytek. Not even the best brand around IMO, Cisco has a suitable model.

• 16. Re: Router Question
                                        jasonvp Level 3

Harm Millaard wrote:

Your choices may well be limited due to modem requirements, depending on your internet connection.

Yes.  My assumption was that he had some other device taking care of the Internet connection.  The Airport assumes an Ethernet input from some other device like a cable modem, FTTP box (FiOS here in the states), etc.

jas

• 17. Re: Router Question
                                          John Ratard Level 1

I already have a speedtouch modem supplied by my telco, Telus in Canada.  I simply need a router unless this modem is not fast enough.  In any case, the Draytek Vigor 2820 Vn shows only 1 Gb port, the other ports show 10/100 performance according to the information I find on the Internet.  The Draytek Vigor 2830 Vn has 4 Gb ports.   I do like the option of having a shared drive but wonder whether the V option is needed, although, I do not need all the large office features or the subscription for filtering.

I was also looking at Netgear DGND3700 N600, the Airport Extreme (only 3 Gb ports), or the Linksys E4200 (no 450Mbps support).  I will have 3 devices needing wired ports, a 6-core editing PC, a 4-core editing support and general PC, and printer.  Other devices can use wireless such as a notebook, and 2 TVs.  The Airport Extreme appears to include it all.  It is a good idea to have a front end firewall in addition to those on the PCs with Windows 7.

• 18. Re: Router Question
                                            John Ratard Level 1

Thanks for all your help.  I appreciate the information that you and Jason have sent me.  After consideration of all my options, I reviewed the Airport Extreme.  The specifications are excellent and all its features are what I need.  The 3 Gb ports are sufficient for my video transfers between my 4-core and the 6-core PCs plus one extra.  I can use WiFi for general family use.  If I use the USB port for a shared drive, I can use Beyond Compare suggested by Harm to do so if it works in this situation.

• 20. Re: Router Question
                                              John Ratard Level 1

I have finally decised on my network layout.  The network is beginning to look like a section of your network with the exception of the router type.  The Airport Extreme router I have decided to use rather than a Draytek router without modem may not be as reliable but it serves my needs.  As far as reliability is concerned, there are so many questions on equipment reliability considering the company, the outsource, and where the equipment is manufactured .  I cringe at the Boeing 787 dreamliner circuit board and DVD writable variability issues.  With the global manufacturing and sourcing network, who can you trust?  Since the router does not have 4 ports, I have decided to use the third Gb port with a Netgear switch if I have need for more ports serving printers and PCs that do not need Gb transfer performance.