6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2015 8:27 AM by MartinKraetke

Indesign CS6 export images and text

NUVART

Hi there,

I am looking for a way to batch export from Indesign files (with Incopy shared stories), text as RTF and formated images (cropped to the frames they are in) excluding bleed where full page is used. The RTF should retain "bold" and "italic". For images, I need to change the settings (colour management, size, pixels, resolution, file format, file name convention. Some examples of interfaces of some scripts I really love to use are down bellow:

Screen shot 2013-03-14 at 4.05.37 PM.pngScreen shot 2013-03-13 at 10.24.33 AM.pngScreen shot 2013-03-14 at 4.08.55 PM.png

I believe a script that will have a combined interface features as the screen-shots attached would be so awsome for so many Indesign users.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Indesign CS6 export images and text
          MrTIFF Level 3

So if you had to describe the purpose or goal of this Combined Script in one sentence, what would that sentence be?

• 2. Re: Indesign CS6 export images and text
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Are those screenshots of *scripts*, or are they actually plugins? They look a bit .. advanced .. for a Javascript.

Scripts can do a lot but a plugin can do even way more, and much faster too. Something seemingly easy such as "export RTF and keep only bold and italic" *can* be scripted, but I would classify that as "barely". (If you mean that it should preserve nothing *except* bold and italics. The native RTf export preserves this, and more, by default.)

• 3. Re: Indesign CS6 export images and text
              Vamitul Level 4

the first image is Russell Brown's 'Image Processor Pro' script for Photoshop. http://www.russellbrown.com/scripts.html

AMAZING SCRIPT!!!

The rest, i have no ideea.

About the request, we need much more info. What are you trying to achieve? From that general description you posted, it's quite a complex task, and not something many people are willing to do for free.

• 4. Re: Indesign CS6 export images and text
                NUVART Level 1

First, I appologize for being so vague in my post.

@stephen0218. The extended feature I am looking for I would call it Indesign Export Extended, where this would give you way more options than it does now, to export elements, text, images, pages, selections etc.

@[Jongware] They are 2 scripts (not plug-ins): first image is, as Vamitul mentioned, a screen-shot of Russle Brown's script for Image Processor in Photoshop. Tottaly agree, darn fantastic scripting work there.

The next two, are screen-shots of batch-process script that Peter Kahrel wrote. The greatest Indesing script I found. Not to mention it's free too. You can still feel free to donate on his website:http://www.kahrel.plus.com/indesign/batch_convert.html.

For an upcoming project, my need will be to be able to batch export from Indesing, the text as RTF and formated images (cropped as in Indesign) to a certain location.

For text, I have to mention that the all the stories are shaded with Incopy users. So basically, Peter's script does this except, if text is part of an Incopy assignement, won't be able to check-out that story and grab it.

For images, I need to export all the cropped images, with their original colour space, file name and size in pixels.

This is the basic for what I need. Than I though that combining these 2 requirements, with the features and interface of the screen-shots above will be a huge asset for any Indesign user:

- setting up the source location

- destination folder

- target format/file type

- separate export options for each file format (for instance for images export: file format, compression, colour management, resize to fit, don't enlarge, file naming option etc).

I hope this makes sense.

• 5. Re: Indesign CS6 export images and text
                  NUVART Level 1

Hi there,

as I don't see lot of action here I revised my workflow and I am looking now for a simplier script that will run through Peter's batch exporter:

The script will have to:

- give me access to HTML export options (Indesign default one) and in addition to be able to tagg all the italic text with <em> and all bold text with <strong>.

- export cropped/formated images. I need to have control over the colour space and size of these images, as they need to be exported as sRGB, whithin 1350x1350px, highest quality, JPG.

Is anyone there willing to take on this project?

• 6. Re: Indesign CS6 export images and text
                    MartinKraetke

In case of images, you can use my InDesign image export script. Adjusted size, bleed, transparency and orientation settings of the images are applied and automatically exported.It also supports alternative image settings with InDesign object export options. Finally, it's open source and you can get it on GitHub: InDesignScripts/image-export at master · le-tex/InDesignScripts · GitHub