When running my swf file in release build, the first time I start the browser after cleaning the browser cache, the .swf will appear in less than a second. If I attach scout, I can see it is around .7 seconds to finish.
However, after this run all subsequent times I load the page, it takes ~3 seconds.
When I look at scout, I see almost identical CPU and memory use , but it is spending ~2.3 seconds "Waiting for the next frame". (almost an extra 700ms per frame).
There is no requirement for animation, all of the content is very static. I'd just like to render it as fast as possible.
I know it's not related to caching the .swf file because I have tried turning off the caching (by adding a random parameter) and verified using Httplogger that it is always downloading a new .swf file. (I turned back on caching). So I'm kind of not sure what to do next...
What things can I try to optimize this? Are there places I can read about this issue?
(P.S. >> I notice it spends a lot more time "Waiting for the next frame" when I build a debug version. Don't know if that's relevant...)
There's nothing you can do about "Waiting for next frame" - this is simply the time when Flash Player has finished doing everything it needs to do for the frame, and waiting for the OS to wake it up again. This depends on the framerate you set in your swf - roughly speaking, the waiting time is the budget (1/framerate), minus the time Flash Player spends doing actual work.
You can find more information here, about understanding how the data you see in Scout relates to how Flash Player works:
btw, you shouldn't look at performance in a debug swf - you'll get wildly misleading results.