5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2013 8:29 PM by dsfsdsdfsdffdsf

Shared media, waveform constantly disappearing (along with audio)

dsfsdsdfsdffdsf Level 2

At work we're trialing Premiere to replace our FCP 7 seats. I like a lot about it but there's one problem that has been bugging me all afternoon. The situation is this:

We've got several seats working on the one gig. All the media is sitting as unconverted Sony FS-100 .mts files on a shared network drive. Our seats are Mac Pro stations all running up to date Creative Cloud versions of Premiere. We've compiled all the footage into a master project, which another editor is working on one segment of. I'm working on a seperate saved copy of the project transcribing interview material, which involved playing the material in Premiere and typing what the interviewee's say into TextEdit. I've found I'm CONSTANTLY losing my waveforms, which causes the audio to drop out completely. After 5-10 minutes the waveform (and audio) return, allowing me to work for a few more minutes before it drops out again. In the last two hours the conforming status hasn't stopped ticked through files. It appears to be repeat conforming files it has already worked on. I wouldn't have a clue what it's doing. So my question is how do I make my waveforms stop disappearing so I can get on with my job?

I suspect it is somehow caused by multiple projects on multiple machines referencing the same files which are fighting each other, but I don't know the software well enough to understand how the XML's and conforms are handled, particuarly across networks. Can anyone shed some light on what might be causing the issue? All my preferences are on default. At this point I'd settle for a command to force a conform of a particular clip so I can continue working.

Cheers, Paul

EDIT: I just noticed I have a lot of errors in my Conform event viewer. In particular when I try and click on a file that I'm trying to work on I get the following error message: "A disk error occurred while attempting to write the following file: Users/.../Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/Media Cache Files/.....cfa" (my blanking)

• 1. Re: Shared media, waveform constantly disappearing (along with audio)
          Harm Millaard Level 7

The network drive is the problem. You need to edit from a local drive and then you will have the problem that what you saved may be overwritten by a colleague. PR is not suitable for network editing.

• 3. Re: Shared media, waveform constantly disappearing (along with audio)
            dsfsdsdfsdffdsf Level 2

Hmm, that's a bit of a spanner in the works then. I'm loathe to give up the advantages of PR (no transcoding being the big one) and return to FCP7 so soon though. Is there any workaround to our situation?

Just so I understand the root problem, is the issue mutiple people accessing the same media that may or may not be sitting on a network drive, or literally just working with media sitting on a network drive? To clarify, we don't have multiple seats working on the same PR project - we're just sharing the same media. Shifting a copy of everything to local drives is not an option unfortunately as there's just too much data (terabytes and terabytes) and we often bounce bits of projects around the office. How about if I were to structure things so that the projects the two of us are currently working on doesn't refer to the same media (ie. break the projects into two seperate chunks of media - I work on one half, my co-editor works on the other half)?

Does it matter who opens the project first? Do they get write permission? Would altering any of the setting help (ie. not storing cache with media, storing cache locally, etc)?

This problem is frustrating, because I get the feeling that it is solely created by PR's conforming or metadata processes - when it does work we're getting flawless playback on several machines accessing the same network stored material without rendering or transcoding. I know this *could* work beautifully - it just feels like an unnecessary bug!

This thread here seems to suggest network editing works okay with PR: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3070531?tstart=0. Have subsequent upgrades broken that functionality?

• 4. Re: Shared media, waveform constantly disappearing (along with audio)
              Jim_Simon Level 8

is the issue mutiple people accessing the same media that may or may not be sitting on a network drive, or literally just working with media sitting on a network drive?

It is the former, it can be the latter as well depending on your network.  Not all work very well with PP.

the projects the two of us are currently working on doesn't refer to the same media

Might work, but then you have the same issue as with local drives, duplicating the media.  It'd probably be better to duplicate it to a local drive than on the network.

• 5. Re: Shared media, waveform constantly disappearing (along with audio)
                dsfsdsdfsdffdsf Level 2

Wow, really? I had no idea PR played so badly with network drives! It's inconceivable to me that Adobe would market it as a FCP7 replacement if it didn't handle network storage - that's a fundamental requirement at most of the facilities I've worked at.

Are there any golden rules about ways to minimise the grief without having to copy giant slabs of content to local drives or is it just a matter of suck it and see? More to the point, why the issues with network content?