1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 15, 2013 3:57 AM by Gaius Coffey

Output generation options in InDesign server... generate SWF without bytecode

Gaius Coffey Level 2

Hi,

We have a server-side InDesign application to generate SWF and JPEG and PDF assets based on a number of IDD files - generated and manually built.

The issue is, we are trying to move to an iOS supported product where SWF loading is restricted and default, generated SWF from InDesign contains a rake of unused and unwanted ActionScript that has no relevance to our application but which is also likely to complicate or block app approval.

So... I need to find some options here.

Can anybody comment on the feasibility of any of the following;

1. Modify SWF generation to generate _without_ the InDesign ActionScript (we don't need it... we just need the display assets that InDesign creates)

2. Generate a lossless PNG output on a transparent background (needs to be lossless to support colourisation, needs to be a transparent background as moving from SWF would mean the inability to remove the big white rectangle it always puts in a SWF)

3. Generate a PDF in a format that can be manipulated to provide us access to individual display assets within an AIR / Flex app

Thanks in advance,

G

• 1. Re: Output generation options in InDesign server... generate SWF without bytecode
          Gaius Coffey Level 2

PS: Yes, I am aware of the export with and without interactive media settings, but they don't seem to make any difference whatsoever to the SWF as it still includes a rake of unneeded ActionScript (including a wide range of fl.video code for some bizarre reason...).

I have just found some export as PNG options in InDesign 6, but the server is still on an older version of InDesign (4, I think) do you know when the export as PNG feature was introduced? I have been assured that we can't generate PNG with the current setup... though will dig a bit deeper to check.