12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2013 7:28 PM by terry23craig

5400rpm HDD as boot drive (+7200rpm HDD for files) possible?

terry23craig

Hello,

I wanted to know if I could use an internal 5400rpm HDD as my boot drive for Adobe CS6, and an external 7200rpm HDD for my video files. Mostly for Pemiere Pro and After Effects. I know that 7200rpm is in the list of requirements for the software, but could I install and use the software anyway, only having it work a little slower (but still in the norms of usability)? I'd very much appreciate any help with this, I need to know if CS will be usable with my new computer. Thanks!

• 2. Re: 5400rpm HDD as boot drive (+7200rpm HDD for files) possible?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

(but still in the norms of usability)?

Depends on what your norms are, but yes, you can use a 5400 RPM disk and and an external 7200 RPM disk. It will work. Whether the performance is tolerable for you depends on the rest of the hardware specs, source material, nature of the projects, and your patience.

Only looking at CS6 performance, the difference between the fastest and slowest system is a factor 50. Where is your tolerance for 'usability'? For me it would be around a factor 3 slower, more would be outside my tolerance level. I consider waiting for an export for one hour quite OK, three hours the limit, but 50 hours unacceptable.

• 3. Re: 5400rpm HDD as boot drive (+7200rpm HDD for files) possible?
            JEShort01 Level 4

It could work...

You must also have a fast interface for your external drive that is also compatible with your PC. USB 3.0, eSATA, or FireWire could all work; USB 2.0 would be too slow.

Regards,

Jim

• 4. Re: 5400rpm HDD as boot drive (+7200rpm HDD for files) possible?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Jim, as I said it is all about patience and tolerance levels. It will work, but if a single export that takes only 1 hour on a fast system takes say 96 hours here even with a USB2 external, you can't say it does not work, it is only insufferably slow and the whole editing process will be extremely slow as well, but if the OP has all the time in the world and is OK with finishing his current project somewhere after 2015, who are we to judge that?

• 5. Re: 5400rpm HDD as boot drive (+7200rpm HDD for files) possible?
                terry23craig Level 1

Thanks for your input. I don't think I quite understand the "factor 50" you are talking about, but I more or less agree with your speed tolerance level. Up to three hours is still fine, but I wouldn't want to wait more than four or five hours for a little larger project to render (I know, "a little larger" is rather vague, but it depends on the project´obviously). Also, unfortunately, my external drive is only USB 2.0 :-/ But I'm confident about the rest of my hardware specs, I think they are quite sufficient (Intel Core i7-3610QM, 12GB or maybe 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M HDMI). So are you saying that it will take "50 hours" for my projects to render with those two HDDs (as in "a painfully long**** time not worth bothering with")?

• 6. Re: 5400rpm HDD as boot drive (+7200rpm HDD for files) possible?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Go to http://ppbm5.com/DB-PPBM5-2.php and under computer type select Laptop, then under Version select CS6. That will show you aproximately what to expect. In your specific case the results will be worse, because of the slow boot disk and the slow external drive, so my guess is somewhere around rank 900 - 1000, around 700 - 800 seconds.

• 7. Re: 5400rpm HDD as boot drive (+7200rpm HDD for files) possible?
                    JEShort01 Level 4

Terry,

Obviously you have a laptop (i7-3610qm is a laptop cpu) and it is a very strong spec. If you use a USB 2.0 connected drive you will be completely trashing the potential pretty decent performance from your rig. You do not mention your specific laptop, but many laptops can take a newmodeus (www.newmodeus.com) 2.5" drive holder that fits into your optical drive and gives you eSATA (high-speed) connectivity with a 2.5" SSD or hard drive. For my daughter's Dell we moved the included optical drive to be "external" (Dell provided eSATA sled) and put a 2.5" drive in the newmodeUS optical drive tray. BTW, this method is way more reliable and hassle free than connecting your "work" drive with any kind of cable any time you edit. Of course if you are rendering to DVD/Bluray every time you edit, this may not be a great idea, however that is not the case for most work flows.

When Adobe says you need a 7200rpm drive I'm sure that they do not intend it to be USB 2.0 "crippled". (approx. 4 times less throughput than the same drive would be connected via USB 3.0, eSATA, or SATA)

Regarding PPBM5 performance, I would guesstimate your performance on the order of 220-400 seconds with a fast external drive or RAID 0 dual drive appliance and a decent interface (again USB 3.0 or eSATA). Way faster than the 700-800 seconds Harm estimated for the USB 2.0 scenario!

Regards,

Jim

• 8. Re: 5400rpm HDD as boot drive (+7200rpm HDD for files) possible?
                      terry23craig Level 1

Thank you, Jim and Harm.
                      Also thanks for the heads up on the USB 2 slowing down so much. Sounds like I do have to upgrade my HDD speed after all. But truth be told, I don't have the money to upgrade both, so I am only going to get a new external 7200rpm HDD with a USB 3.0 port (for video files; boot drive stays the 5400rpm same) [I'm looking at the Buffalo HD-PZ500U3B MiniStation Extreme Rugged USB 3.0 500GB]. Will the 220-400 seconds, like you estimate, make for a sufficiently good editing performance? I'm just kind of starting to learn about all this, so I don't know in what context those numbers are.

I've also read about HDD adapters, which give your USB 2 HDD a USB 3 connection (one product would be the FANTEC HDD-Sneaker USB3.0). Did I misunderstand something, because it seems kind of too good to be true, or would that actually  be a cheaper option than to buy a whole new ext. HDD?

• 9. Re: 5400rpm HDD as boot drive (+7200rpm HDD for files) possible?
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Jim's guesstimate of 220 seconds is far too optimistic. Currently the fastest laptop scores 274 seconds, but that is with CS5.03, an i7-3840QM, a SSD and a 7200 RPM SATA disk, 16 GB memory and a GTX 660M. The fastest i7-3610M is 409 seconds with CS5.5 and 473 with CS6, but they are all equipped with a SSD and a 7200 SATA disk.

• 10. Re: 5400rpm HDD as boot drive (+7200rpm HDD for files) possible?
                          terry23craig Level 1

I still don't know in what context those seconds are and what they mean. And my question still stands: would I have an alright editing performance with an external USB 3.0 7200rpm HDD (but still a 5400rpm boot drive)?

And are there any kind of USB 3.0 adapters for an HDD with a USB 2.0 connection (sort of like a reverse ExpressCard)?

I really need to know, I'm no rich kid, and no pro at this, unfortunately.

• 11. Re: 5400rpm HDD as boot drive (+7200rpm HDD for files) possible?
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

See #6 and PPBM5 Benchmark to understand what these seconds mean.

No, you can't use a USB2 external as if it were a USB3 external. That would require exchanging the built-in USB2 controller and replacing it with a USB3 controller. Apart from a practical issue, where can you get one single USB3 controller (they are usually sold by the 1,000's), it requires real pro capabilities.

What do seconds mean? If I export a simple DV AVI project to disk it takes me 22 seconds. In the case of a USB2 external to do the same task would require at least 25 minutes, i.e. 1500 seconds and possibly longer, depending on the number of USB devices connected to your system. If you were to use a USB3 external, you may be able to reduce those 1500 seconds to around 500 seconds. Still a bit longer than 22 seconds.

• 12. Re: 5400rpm HDD as boot drive (+7200rpm HDD for files) possible?
                              terry23craig Level 1

Thanks, now I can put those seconds-statistics a little bit into perspective. I agree, 22 seconds would obviously be the best, but you didn't mention what you'd use exactly for that kind of result. Like, does it take you that little because of an internal 7200rpm? Or an external USB3 7200rpm? Or an SSD?

But anyway, all in all maybe I can live with 500 seconds instead of 22.
                              And that: "No, you can't use a USB2 external as if it were a USB3 external" is not really what I meant. I've now read up on the subject and I mean USB 3.0 enclosures, like, I think, you said in your comment. As far as I can see I don't think it takes "real pro capabilities" to change an HDD from a USB2.0 enclosure to a USB3.0 one. But I would need to know if the external 7200rpm drive, which was bought in a USB2.0 enclosure, would work in a new USB3.0 enclosure just as fast as an external 7200rpm drive that was bought in a USB3.0 enclosure. Does anyone here know this? Because then I'd do that instead of buying a whole new HDD just for the USB3.0 connection.