7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2013 5:34 AM by alpshiker

Got the MBPretina. Now, what High-end Monitor ?

alpshiker Level 1

After lots of waiting, weighing pros and cons and whether I should go iMac, Mac Mini or MacBook Pro High rez anti-glare, helped in that pilgrim quest by some encouraging users reviews and eventually compelled by a dealer's special, I fell for a 2013 MacBook Pro Retina 15". First impressions are great. So far, after installing most of my compatible programs, there has not been a hiccup. Leaping from an early iMac Core2 duo, Lightroom seems to fly !

It is still in the installation phase and I wonder if it will provide for all the connections I need. I'm not a fan of prolonged exposure to WIFI, so I plugged it to the network with the Apple USB to Ethernet adapter, which works great also for retrieving stuff from my iMac with a normal patch cable thanks to auto-sensing ports. Of course, WIFI would also work for those tasks. I got the USB to Ethernet adapter instead of the faster TB to Ethernet, because I will need the two Thunderbolt ports, one for an external display and the other for my older FW800 drives (I went USB3 subsequently). This will leave  one USB3 port available for another drive. Things might get a bit awkward for downloading CF cards, but then I can simply unplug the network for a while. Still, there is a USB printer sitting there, a USB microphone, and I might find the need for an external scratch at some point as the internal SSD fills up. I reckon that an USB3 hub will soon prove necessary.

MONITOR. Since Apple hasn't yet announced a designer grade Apple Display, I'll be looking at third parties. I do skip the Ferraris and other Reference monitors for an obvious reason. After extensive research, I am left with those contenders : The proven CCFL NEC PA27W, or the Eizo SX2762W. But for a similar price, I'm actually seriously leaning towards the new DELL U3014.

What draws me to the Dell is the ratio first. Many of my images are framed vertically, and I also work with InDesign. Brightness on that LED panel can be set to a minimum of 50 cd/m2, with non flickering GB LED back-lighting technology. Price is a lot less than the NEC counterpart. Last but not least, it has a USB3 hub. The earlier released U2713H is well reviewed, except for uniformity.

Now the drawback: Monitors this size must be plugged in with a dual cable adapter, which takes one TB and one USB I think. But this would be the case with the other two also.

The DELL has a USB3 hub, which would greatly help, but the MacbookPro Retina seems  fussy with external USB3 hubs have I read, at least earlier versions of the MBPr.

There have also been some sleep issues with some types of monitors. But I suppose that using the latest, I should not see that.

What did I forget ? I would gladly take any word of encouragement and /or  of warning before the final purchase !

Thanks!

Paul

• 1. Re: Got the MBPretina. Now, what High-end Monitor ?
          thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The NEC SpectraView is a long time proven solution which I'd recommend (I own 3). Eizo, very nice but not sure what the added money buys you. There's no way you want to drive, or can natively drive a new LCD (or LED, it's only the backlight here) to 50cd/m2 nor would you want to.

• 2. Re: Got the MBPretina. Now, what High-end Monitor ?
            alpshiker Level 1

Andrew Rodney wrote:

The NEC SpectraView is a long time proven solution which I'd recommend (I own 3).

Hi Andrew,

The screen seems to gather unanimous praise in any of it's variety. But maybe "long time" suggests that a new LED back-lit panel is just around the corner, do you reckon? Nec has already implemented LED in all of the lines, except the Spectraview. A retailer here has tagged the Spectraviews as "new products", available late March.

Eizo, very nice but not sure what the added money buys you.

Thanks for making that clear as it was some of my feeling…

There's no way you want to drive, or can natively drive a new LCD (or LED, it's only the backlight here) to 50cd/m2 nor would you want to.

Not of course. What I was thinking is that if the builder (DELL) states that the monitor can be calibrated at a minimum of 50 cd/m2 and up to 350 cd/m2, it certainly should behave very well at an average of say, 160 cd/m2. I am not particularly a fan of Dell products, but it's the only reliable 30" I can afford (with the former U3011). Is it worth investigating?

Paul

• 3. Re: Got the MBPretina. Now, what High-end Monitor ?
              alpshiker Level 1

Putting the DELL U3014 option aside to concentrate on a sure value: The NEC MultiSync PA271W.

One issue remains unclear however: Since I am based in Europe, please can someone help me find my way in the jungle of calibration options proposed locally with the NEC PA/ Spectraviews?

I see for instance on a well known U.S. based website:

—NEC MultiSync PA271W-BK 27" Widescreen LCD Computer Display bare and naked for  $ 900

—NEC MultiSync PA271W-BK-SV 27" Widescreen LCD Monitor with SpectraViewII Color Calibration Solution

(GammaComp MD puck — alias X-rite iOne Display 2 — and Spectraview II included)  for  $ 1,318

But here on the Swiss market, NEC does not offer any calibration bundle with this line of monitors, at least not on the online stores I visited.

The different grades are proposed naked for :

—NEC MultiSync PA271W  for $ 1,320

—NEC SpectraView 271W for $ 1,880

—NEC SpectraView Reference 271W with hood for  $ 2,330

The price discrepancies with the US market for the entry level PA271W are surprising, the least to say. In the US, you get a calibration package included for the price of the bare monitor here.

Should I purchase a "Swiss" (value added?) MultiSync PA271W, since I already own BasiCColor Display 4.1 and also Spyder 3 Elite, would I be all set to use the monitor? What I am actually not sure of is whether the European version of the MultiSync PA271W can be LUT calibrated or only software profiled. I have read somewhere a comment that was mentioning some sort of firmware lock in the NEC PA monitors destined to the European market. There, you can only profile the monitor. Even if you use a LUT capable calibration software like BasiCColor, the LUT option will be greyed (not sure the lock is in the software or in the monitor firmware though). It was stated that if you want to use LUT calibration, you have to purchase the more expensive Spectraviews. But in another forum, a UK based photographer said that nope, he could calibrate his PA27W. Whether it was through LUT or through video card remained unclear though.

If someone has reliable information on that matter, I would gladly take it!

Thanks again

Paul

http://www.paulschilliger.com/

• 4. Re: Got the MBPretina. Now, what High-end Monitor ?
                thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

In Europe you have to get a bundle with iCColor's solution (BasICColor) which may or may not be part of a bundle with the display. Best to talk to a local reseller.

• 5. Re: Got the MBPretina. Now, what High-end Monitor ?
                  alpshiker Level 1

Andrew Rodney wrote:

In Europe you have to get a bundle with iCColor's solution (BasICColor) which may or may not be part of a bundle with the display. Best to talk to a local reseller.

Alright. So there is no backdoor to go play in the big leagues.

I appreciate, thanks for your time, Andrew.

Paul

• 6. Re: Got the MBPretina. Now, what High-end Monitor ?
                    alpshiker Level 1

I got a complement of information from basiCColor Germany:

The NEC PA271W is supported with an "combined HW/SW-calibration". 
                    This means the color temperature and the luminance will be set up in hardware,
                    but the tonal response curves are set up in the video card LUT's.
                    Only the SpectraView series (SpectraView 271 and SpectraView Reference 271)
                    support a full hardware calibration.

I assume that this does not concern the U.S. market NEC PA271W, which should support full hardware calibration as well, with NEC Spectraview.

• 7. Re: Got the MBPretina. Now, what High-end Monitor ?
                      alpshiker Level 1

Maybe users of the NEC PA - MacBook Pro combo can sort me out.

I have had a NEC PA271W (firmware 1.01.05) sitting on my desk for some days now. It is a bit soon to comment on it, since I had to do with lower resolution due to standard DVI connection.

I have now plugged it through a Displayport mini > Displayport cable. Everything seems to work with the native resolution (2560x1440).

There is a problem however when the computer is set to sleep: If it is called back within few minutes, the monitor wakes up. But if it is left iddle for hours, it can't be called back. The led stays lit yellow-orange but the power button is unresponsive, while the Macbook Pro Retina (2013) is almost paralysed. The only way to bring things back to operation is in disconnecting the PA271 and plugging it again, with loss of resolution settings.

Is this a known issue and how can it be solved ?

Maybe it's the cable itself ?

Or is resorting to the Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter or third parties equivalent, which eats up one of the two USB ports, mandatory?