8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2013 11:31 AM by aefilter

Suggestions on this MSI notebook?

jayrem7

Hello everyone! I have been reading through the forums the past couple of days trying to make up my mind on a editing sytem. Photography is the majority of use but I will also be editing wedding videoography consistently.

I purchased a Lenovo Ideapad Y500 and after 2 months hassle with defective touchpad, I just received the replacement. I am strongly considering sending it back for anything different.

Right now I am looking at a MSI GT70 OND-494 and a MSI GT70 OND-491

Any thoughts? Should I keep the Lenovo or go with one of these MSI's?

Thank you,

Jay

• 1. Re: Suggestions on this MSI notebook?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The 494 model only has one hard drive, which is below minimum EFFECTIVE editing specification

For an actual editing Laptop, read these...

-http://forums.adobe.com/message/4717373

-http://forums.adobe.com/message/4578948

• 2. Re: Suggestions on this MSI notebook?
            jayrem7 Level 1

Thank you John for the links! The first one I hadn't come acrosse yet.

Yes the 494 model comes installed with the 750GB @7200rpm. However there is another bay that I can install a second hard drive in.

So really I am just curious of anyones thoughts on the rest of the setup on either of those. I like that they have eSATA, better graphics card, and more RAM, compared to this Lenovo that I have right now. Retail they are about $500 difference.

• 3. Re: Suggestions on this MSI notebook?
              pejaka Level 1

I have had MSI GT683DX a year and a half now. I think it was older model of MSI GT70 OND-494. I have now replaced 750 GB system disk with 250 SSD, removed optical drive and added another 750 GB HDD (I can use external optical when I need it).

So I have now 250 GB SSD and two WD Black 750 GB HDD striped together, three disk inside the laptop. I also upgraded the RAM memory to 32GB.

USB3, eSATA and built in SD card reader are also PROs. Maybe the only CONs are serviceability, you can easily break little plastic clips that are keeping back cover and keyboard locked in.

Also chassis seemed first little too plastic - soft, but if you keep it nicely it should be no problem. Mine have survived well.

In http://ppbm5.com/DB-PPBM5-2.php (computer type laptops) my MSI laptop is in 9th place before last upgrade, it would be third now, 343 total time.

But if you forget speed competitions, reliability has been good.

I'll say it has surpassed my expectations.

Pena

• 4. Re: Suggestions on this MSI notebook?
                jayrem7 Level 1

Thank you Pejaka for your input.

Well pretty sure I am going to purchase the 27" iMac 3.4Ghz i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB Fusion Drive, and the Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB. Then I will hook up an external drive. It is always what I wanted and with the higher-end MSI I am already getting pretty close to that price range.

• 5. Re: Suggestions on this MSI notebook?
                  aefilter Level 1

Does anyone have experience rendering with the new iMacs like that?

It's not on the list and I've had mixed results with the pref mod. My latest disappointment is the ASUS G74 w/ GT560M -- Premiere sees and plays RT with effects but rendering is ike SW only.

Does XDCAM EX pose an extra problem?

• 6. Re: Suggestions on this MSI notebook?
                    Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

aefilter wrote:

My latest disappointment is the ASUS G74 w/ GT560M -- Premiere sees and plays RT with effects but rendering is ike SW only.

1. Is your Graphics card actually a GT 560M or is it a GTX 560M?
                    2. How much video RAM does you system have?  The listing I see with a little search shows that a ASUS G74SX has 3 GB.
                    3. If that is the case have you added that card to the Adobe file "cuda_supported_cards.txt" and after a restart you should have GPU assisted   MPE available.
                    • 7. Re: Suggestions on this MSI notebook?
                      aefilter Level 1

It is a GeForce GTX 560M and that's what's been in the text preference.

I have 2GB, but of course I'd only need half that.

Premiere says it is available and titles and filters play in realtime, but rendering is like software only.

I've had good luck with 285, 460, 570, 550Ti in towers, but not in this laptop with XDCAM EX files. My previous machine for this material from the same camera was GT 460. Renders were 1 hour but now 15 hours!

• 8. Re: Suggestions on this MSI notebook?
                        aefilter Level 1

Does anyone have experience rendering with the new iMacs? They use an unsupported GTX 675MX 1GB GDDR5 or GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5.

How about MacBookPro  i7 GeForce GT 650M 16GB?

Or even Samsung i7-3635QM GT 650M?