19 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2013 3:20 PM by Paul Riggott RSS

Inadequate Date Created Feature in IPTC Panel

NY2LA Community Member

I am currently having a service digitize about 3,000 of my photos, shot of 35mm film. I am entering IPTC metadata using Photoshop's File Info….

I want to use the Date Created feature. Fortunately, I have the exact calendar day of most of my photos. However, in a few cases, I know only the year and the month, and not the specific day.

Much to my chagrin, I have discovered the Date Created feature doesn't support entering only a year and a month (unless I'm missing something.) I thought it would support, for example: 19860100, for an unknown day in January 1986.

I wonder what archivists do about this. Simply not use the Date Created feature?

I am entering the date in the description too.

Related info:

http://ptforum.photoolsweb.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=877

• 1. Re: Inadequate Date Created Feature in IPTC Panel
          Curt Y Community Member

If you want the metadata of the date created to be read in Bridge or other browsers I believe you can not just change the IPTC field in File Info.  I tried this and the Date Created was unchanged, even though in IPTC field it was changed.

I have see posts where you can get a 3 party program to change the Date Created field. 

As far as the day the pictue was shot without a diary don't believe that is possible.  Just pick a number you like and use that for all of them.  If 3rd party re-dating program works with 00 as the day try one and see if Bridge or other browsers works with it before doing 3000.

• 2. Re: Inadequate Date Created Feature in IPTC Panel
            NY2LA Community Member

I'm not sure which Date Created you are referring to, Curt Y. I'm not referring to a camera's EXIF data, which includes Date and Time (which people sometimes modify, if it is wrong for some reason.)

When it comes to scans of old photos, the commonly used Date and Time field is likely going to be just a meaningless file creation date. And it is dysfunctional for someone who wants to preserve history, because it requires not only a precise calendar day, but a time as well.

I am referring to different IPTC fields, separate ones for Date Created and Time Created (enabling one to enter only a date, if desired.) I'm not surprised that in general, lots of software doesn't show all IPTC metadata. However, I did a couple of test uploads to Flickr, uploading image files with IPTC metadata entered via Photoshop's File Info. Using View Exif info, I could see all of the IPTC metadata in my Original file, including these two distinctly unrelated Date Created fields (the file creation date and time, and the date of the photo that I had entered.) Therefore, when the Original file is downloaded, that metadata will survive, embedded in the file.

• 3. Re: Inadequate Date Created Feature in IPTC Panel
              NY2LA Community Member

Here's a screenshot showing a portion of Exif data, in a test uploaded image file on Flickr.

Beforehand, I entered data in the following fields using Photoshop's File Info:

Document Title

Author

Author Title

Description

Date Created (under IPTC tab)

City (under IPTC tab)

State/Province (under IPTC tab)

Country (under IPTC tab)

All of this information shows up in my uploaded Original file, using View Exif info on Flickr. The Field names vary, but you can see all of the entered data in the screenshot. Note the Date Created of November 21, 1987 towards the bottom of the screenshot.

My guess is, Photoshop doesn't support 00 in the date (for example, 1987:11:00), because most software won't interpret it correctly anyway. It's a shame that people have to lie about history.

Screen shot 2013-03-17 at 3.10.26 PM.png

• 4. Re: Inadequate Date Created Feature in IPTC Panel
                Curt Y Community Member

You have to be careful of what different programs call Date Created.  For instance in Bridge Date Created is the date when picture was taken or scanned.  It can not be changed in Bridge.  Windows Explorer lists Date Created but it really is Date FILE Created.  It does not show Date Created.  Do not know what Flickr shows.

Look at an image in Bridge where the Date Created and Date File Created are different and see what other programs call Date Created.

In Photoshop I clicked File Info and changed Date Created in the IPTC field.  But looking at the image in Bridge the metadata for Date Created is still the original date even though if you look in File info it has changed..

• 5. Re: Inadequate Date Created Feature in IPTC Panel
                  NY2LA Community Member

I just tried repeating the experience you describe having with Bridge. I didn't have the same experience as you. Here's a screenshot. Notice it does show the November 21, 1987 that I entered with Photoshop's File Info under Date Created.

Screen shot 2013-03-17 at 6.06.37 PM.png

• 6. Re: Inadequate Date Created Feature in IPTC Panel
                    Curt Y Community Member

Perhaps it works different on a Mac, but there is no reason for this.

Here are my screen shots.

date created test IPTC.JPG

date created test metadata.JPG

As you can see it changes the date in the IPTC field, but not the metadata field in Bridge. 

• 7. Re: Inadequate Date Created Feature in IPTC Panel
                      NY2LA Community Member

Have you gone into Bridge's Preferences, and made sure the box for Date Created underneath IPTC Core is checked? (Not to be confused with the box for Date Created underneath File Properties.)

• 8. Re: Inadequate Date Created Feature in IPTC Panel
                        Curt Y Community Member

Yes, and I am also repeating what others have reported, to their disgust, that you can not change Date Created in Bridge as this field is set by camera or scanner.

• 9. Re: Inadequate Date Created Feature in IPTC Panel
                          NY2LA Community Member

I'm not really sure exactly what the problem is that you and others are having.

You inspired me to start using Bridge. I've been using As List view to look at my image files. Last night, I successfully changed the Date Created of several groups of images (i.e., a group of images of a wedding shot on the same day). I would select the images, right click to open the File Info interface, select the IPTC tab, and use the calendar provided next to the Date Created field under IPTC Image. And after clicking OK at the bottom of the File Info interface, presto, I would see the Date Created field change accordingly on all of the image files, in Bridge's As List view.

By the way, I haven't been typing in the date. As I explained, I used the calendar thing (whatever it should be called) to set the date. Maybe that makes a difference?

• 10. Re: Inadequate Date Created Feature in IPTC Panel
                            Paul Riggott Community Member

That field does have the same name but it is not the actual date created you are amending. You are amending the Photoshop schema not the EXIF schema or the XMP schema

• 11. Re: Inadequate Date Created Feature in IPTC Panel
                              NY2LA Community Member

The new date shows up in Apple's Preview's Inspector too. I've been checking every image file. It is not a Photoshop schema.

Screen shot 2013-03-19 at 2.11.03 PM.png

• 12. Re: Inadequate Date Created Feature in IPTC Panel

Goto file info, select the Advanced Tab and look at the various Schemas. You are only altering the Photoshop Schema.

• 13. Re: Inadequate Date Created Feature in IPTC Panel
                                  NY2LA Community Member

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I'm not sure what to make of it. The other metadata that I entered (author title, city, country, etc.)  shows up under Adobe Photoshop Properties too. Should I be using a different program to enter all IPTC metadata?

Screen shot 2013-03-19 at 2.36.13 PM.png

• 14. Re: Inadequate Date Created Feature in IPTC Panel

No, it's just a fact that you can not change the actual date of the file within Bridge.

If you really wanted to change the actual date you would need to use an external program such as ExifTool.

It just depends on what data you need to have.

• 15. Re: Inadequate Date Created Feature in IPTC Panel
                                      NY2LA Community Member

I want to follow the IPTC standard, and a complete implementation of it. I guess you are telling me that Photoshop and Bridge do not follow the standard!?!

• 16. Re: Inadequate Date Created Feature in IPTC Panel

Yes it does, IPTC uses more than one schema, the Photoshop field for date created is part of IPTC

• 17. Re: Inadequate Date Created Feature in IPTC Panel

You should be able to download some information from here...

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/xmp.html

• 18. Re: Inadequate Date Created Feature in IPTC Panel
                                            NY2LA Community Member

Paul Riggott wrote:

No, it's just a fact that you can not change the actual date of the file within Bridge.

If you really wanted to change the actual date you would need to use an external program such as ExifTool.

It just depends on what data you need to have.

Rereading this post, I am concerned about your phase "the actual date of the file within Bridge."

I am not trying to change the date of the file. I am not trying to change the Date Created used by digital cameras either.

In fact, I am not changing anything. I am adding dates to a previously unused field.

• 19. Re: Inadequate Date Created Feature in IPTC Panel

That's fine. There are various dates involved with a document, so long as you are using the fields that you want to use that's all that counts.