2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2013 5:02 PM by Photoquest8458

events, people, places , albums, tags

Photoquest8458 Level 1

Can someone help me understand what happens on a file level with these tools

i understand that "tags" write a text to the actual file in windows.

how do the other elements work?

• 1. Re: events, people, places , albums, tags
          dj_paige Level 10

i understand that "tags" write a text to the actual file in windows.

This is not correct. Nothing is written to your photo files when you assign a tag (or any other item you mentioned).

All of the items you describe exist inside the PSE Organizer (which is a database). The information is contained inside this database. This enables you to record information about each photo, and then later to search for a photo, so if you have given a photo the tag "kids" and also the tag "beach", then later you can do a search for photos that have both tags to find this photo.

As a result of the database nature of PSE, you need to do all of your photo management inside of PSE (and not in Windows), because PSE contains information about where the file is located, and the name of the file. It does not contain the file. Thus, if you move the file, or rename it, PSE no longer can find it. (If you move or rename the file in PSE, then PSE will be able to find it).

You can, OPTIONALLY, write some of the metadata to the photo files if you so desire. Album information will never be written to the photo file. Select the desired files and then use File->Write Tags. Even if you do this, PSE uses its database for searching purposes, not the information written to the files.

• 2. Re: events, people, places , albums, tags
            Photoquest8458 Level 1

that was very helpful

thanks