4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2013 4:39 PM by DavePinMinn

Tinting shadows with Gradient Editor

DavePinMinn Level 1

I recently saw a presentation that spoke of tinting shadows on an image by converting to black and white, then

creating a gradient map layer.  From there you went into the Gradient Editor and place the cursor directly beneath

the gray scale, and starting from the black end, move it toward the white end until the arrow cursor changes to a

finger pointer.  You then use the value in Location...

Unfortunately, every time I do this my cursor is ALWAYS a pointing finger.  I can put in color stops, but I don't

believe that was what the technique used...  I've tried using alt, ctrl, and/or shift in all the combinations I can

think of, but no matter what I do, I always get the pointing finger instead of the arrow cursor.

Does anyone know what I need to do differently to get the Gradient Editor to show an arrow cursor until I reach

whatever point I should be at when it changes to a pointing finger?  And what IS that point?  Does it represent

the darkest black in the image, or what?

• 1. Re: Tinting shadows with Gradient Editor
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

place the cursor directly beneath the gray scale

What is this supposed to mean?

Could you please provide screenshots?

Unfortunately, every time I do this my cursor is ALWAYS a pointing finger. 

Even if you hover directly above a color stop?

• 2. Re: Tinting shadows with Gradient Editor
            DavePinMinn Level 1

OK, (hopefully), here's a screen shot of the Gradient Editor.  I'd put an arrow on there, but I can't find an arrow brush, so where I put the cursor is a red butterfly right below the gradient...

When I saw the technique shown, the cursor there was an regular curso, and as you move the cursor toward the white point, at SOME point, it's supposed to change to a pointing finger.

As I said, mine doesn't...

Untitled-1.jpg

• 3. Re: Tinting shadows with Gradient Editor
              conroy Level 5

The cursor is a pointing hand under most of the gradient bar and will become an arrow when over a colour stop or a midpoint marker, which is a little circle. If you've just opened the gradient editor and not adjusted the gradient yet, no midpoint marker will be visible. Click a colour stop to see a midpoint marker. Then you can drag the midpoint or click it and read/enter a value for its location.

midpoint.png

• 4. Re: Tinting shadows with Gradient Editor
                DavePinMinn Level 1

Yup, I'm familiar with the color stops and midpoint markers.  I'm moderately sure the process shown/described didn't have any color stops, and the cursor wasn't a pointing finger.  I must have missed something in the presentation 'cause I sure can't figure out how they were doing it (if I was seeing it right)...