Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CF log files into a database?

Nov 06, 2007 Nov 06, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just curious if this is possible... In IIS you can push the server log files into a database, which is unbelievably super helpful. What would be just as super is if CF log files (exception,application,mail, server,scheduler,etc) could do the same. Think how helpful this would be! Is this possible?

While I'm thinking about this I'm thinking of CFFile... sounds like some work but I wonder if it's doable. Or maybe there's a customtag to do it...
TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 06, 2007 Nov 06, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CFFILE is not meant to process large files, like log files. In CF8, use the FileNnnn() functions (FileOpen(), FileRead(), FileWrite(), FileClose(), etc.) They are extremely effieient. Read the log, format each record and write the record. Then bulk load the new file into your database.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 07, 2007 Nov 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bummer. I'm still at 7.02 and no plans to upgrade in the near future.

There has to be a somewhat efficient way to get these logs into a db. Maybe not use CF at all, what about an import into MSSQL with DTS on a schedule? I've been playing around with an Access table locally and importing the application, scheduler and exception logs. The application & scheduler imports nicely but the format of the exception is horrible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However, here's a free CFX that will give you easy access to large text files.

And here is a log file analyzer tool from MS.

Some combination of those two should get you there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
The Log Parser looks slick, I'll take a look thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation