2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2013 3:55 PM by kamkat6644

Elements 5 with Windows 8 problems

kamkat6644

I just got a new Windows 8 computer from an old XP. I had Elements 5, and it was reinstalled along with my canon camera. I know next to nothing about all this and have my brother do it. I have not been able to get my Elements to work like it did on the Windows XP. When I used to plug my camera in, the Elements  downloader would open and connect with the camera.  Now I cannot get that to happen even though I see the camera in the drop down list. I have tried for a week to get it to get photos from the camera. Instead, another program from the camera gets them. I don't understand anything else, so want the Elements to work like it used to. So I went into the menu and tried many times to click on "Check of Updates" just like my guide said to do. But I can't get the update button to even work. Nothing happens if I click all day on it! So I am stuck. Is this problem with Elements working and not being able to update it have something to do with Windows 8? Will I have to just get it uninstalled? Using the My Pictures to do all this was always too complicated for someone like me!

• 1. Re: Elements 5 with Windows 8 problems
          dj_paige Level 10

The update command in PSE 5 never did anything, as far as I know.

Please download the PSE 5.0.2 patch and install that, and see if the problem goes away. If that doesn't work ...

Will I have to just get it uninstalled? Using the My Pictures to do all this was always too complicated for someone like me!

I don't think uninstalling would fix the problem. I think you are going to have to learn a new way of doing things.

• 2. Re: Elements 5 with Windows 8 problems
            kamkat6644 Level 1

I did get the camera to appear in the downloader menu even though it does

not open automatically when camera is turned on. After a couple of steps

and lots of waiting, it did finally ask for the photos. Thank you for the

update link!