4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 18, 2013 3:53 AM by Rayven Wolfe RSS

Portfolio Ideas?

Rayven Wolfe

I need to come up with a project to add to my portfolio for my capstone class in college. I've decided it needs to be a Photoshop project since that is my weakest area. I am looking for some ideas for project ideas that would offer a nice "wow" factor in my portfolio. Here are a few of my guidelines:

• The project needs to be able to be printed in the final output. This is a physical portfolio, not a digital one.
      • The project can take several weeks to complete, but this is not my only class, so something that is about 40-60 hours of work would be ideal.
      • I struggled with projects that limited us to only using imported textures for the entire composition.
      • I struggled with layer masks. I know what they are. I did use them with some success in a few projects. But I can't wrap my head around fitting them properly into a workflow (when to use them and when something else is a better solution).
      • I am absolutely done with photo restoration. I spent half a semester putting pictures back together and fixing colors, I'm outright sick of it.
      • The project can include other Adobe products, but it needs to be done primarily in Photoshop.

I list the struggles, not to limit what I should do, but to offer a better idea of my skill level and where I need to improve. I would prefer projects that allow me to improve my weak areas, but I'm no expert in the areas I listed above so I can't do something so completely novel and zany in those particular areas.

I have the CS6 version of the software.

Thank you in advance for any ideas you can offer.

• 1. Re: Portfolio Ideas?
          Curt Y Community Member

If looking for something new you might check out painting.  There are a number of tutorials on YouTube and other places.

• 2. Re: Portfolio Ideas?
            Silkrooster MVP

Ok, why not take advantage of your limits and try to expand on them, as they are important.

Suggestion

Pick a person, place or thing and do a composition of them/it.

Create a texture for the background, use masks to place images.

a project like this can show your creativity for use of a camera, photoshop and texturing skills.

Because a single person composition could be knocked out in a few days depending on skill level, you may want to do a group of people, a town, a shelter, a church, hospital, local 4H group, your class, etc. This would allow you to have mulitple images showing a story that you are trying to tell. Keep that in mind, when someone can visually see a story the whole composion starts to pop.

Good luck and have fun.

• 3. Re: Portfolio Ideas?
              Rayven Wolfe Community Member

Thank you for your reply, Curt. I've done several pieces of digital painting over the span of a couple semesters and I think it will be part of whatever final project I choose.

• 4. Re: Portfolio Ideas?
                Rayven Wolfe Community Member

Thank you for your reply, Silkrooster.

We did do several compositing mini-projects along the way so I can probably pull off something like this. Thanks for your input!