5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2013 4:56 PM by Kevin-Monahan

    Davinci Resolve 9 Lite with Premiere Pro CS6 XML error

    Morgan Giroux

      Hi everybody. So I'm currently experiencing some difficulties trying to use an XML from Davinci Resolve.

       

      The error message I'm currently receiving from Premiere Pro whilst importing an XML from Davinci Resolve is "This project contained a sequence that could not be opened. No sequence preview preset file or codec could be associated with this sequence type".

       

      I believe I am following through all of the roundtrip instructions correctly. I have tried rendering the Davinci Resolve graded clips as every Quicktime codec available and have had no luck. I do have the free Avid DNxHD codecs installed http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/download/en423319?popup=true&NewLang=en&DocType=1 450 as well.

       

      The footage I'm using is DNxHD 720p 90 8 bits and it opens fine within Premiere Pro. The option Quicktime DNxHD 720p 220/185/110/90 8 bits should work, but does not seem to. No matter what codec I render out to, I have no luck. Can someone please help me!

       

      Thank you!

        • 1. Re: Davinci Resolve 9 Lite with Premiere Pro CS6 XML error
          steadistone

          Rather than start a new thread, I will add on to this one...

           

          I am hoping there will be a solution for the roundtrip problem between Premiere Pro and DaVinci Resolve. It appears the problem primarily lies in the way Adobe has crafted the metadata. It may also have to do with the way it handles file naming in the sense of how internal filenaming of clips relates to the original file name and there may be other reasons.

           

          Based on the hacking of XML files by some colorists who have managed to get the roundtripping to work, it appears that "Reel Name" name to be added to the metadata.

           

          What generally happens with a roundtrip is initiated any clips that have been chopped up in the timeline, the first chunk of the original clip will show up but subsequent clips from the aformentioned "Master Clip" will not show up in Resolve. Attempting to get them to repopulate the Resolve timeline brings up errors.

           

          The solution that Resolve users have resorted to is to export a contiguous clip of the entire sequence and then do scene detect in Resolve to cut it up again.

           

          I am really hoping the Adobe Dev Team are planning to make interoperability between Premiere Pro and DaVinci Resolve so it just works. Having fully functional and compatible XML and EDL is key when you are operating with complicated supply chains in this industry.

           

          I willingly came over to Premiere Pro from FCP largely due to their willingness to play with the film and video industry. It's been largely a great ride but this inability to move back and forth through a key app in our industry I find extremely frustrating and I don't see much evidence that the problem is being work on.

           

          Does anyone know if Adobe is addressing this problem in a future update or version of Premiere Pro?

           

          Thanks!

           

          -Andrew Stone

          • 2. Re: Davinci Resolve 9 Lite with Premiere Pro CS6 XML error
            Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

            Epicphate wrote:

             

            Hi everybody. So I'm currently experiencing some difficulties trying to use an XML from Davinci Resolve.

             

            The error message I'm currently receiving from Premiere Pro whilst importing an XML from Davinci Resolve is "This project contained a sequence that could not be opened. No sequence preview preset file or codec could be associated with this sequence type".

             

            See this FAQ: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1050730?tstart=0

            • 3. Re: Davinci Resolve 9 Lite with Premiere Pro CS6 XML error
              Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

              steadistone wrote:

               

              Rather than start a new thread, I will add on to this one...

               

              Actually, these are two different issues. The OP has problems with unavailable presets and sequences, your problem involves XML translation issues between applications. A new post would have been fine, but I will try to handle your request here.

               

               

              steadistone wrote:

               

              What generally happens with a roundtrip is initiated any clips that have been chopped up in the timeline, the first chunk of the original clip will show up but subsequent clips from the aformentioned "Master Clip" will not show up in Resolve. Attempting to get them to repopulate the Resolve timeline brings up errors.

               

              The solution that Resolve users have resorted to is to export a contiguous clip of the entire sequence and then do scene detect in Resolve to cut it up again.

               

              Have you tried what is suggested in the following video?

               

              This user begins the edit with clips in Resolve, creates one light proxies, and then exports XML back to Premiere Pro. The edit is done in Premiere Pro with the proxies, and then an XML is exported back out. Back in Resolve, grades the original clips, and then sends an XML back to Premiere Pro for output.

               

               

              Let me know if that works for you.

              • 4. Re: Davinci Resolve 9 Lite with Premiere Pro CS6 XML error
                steadistone Level 1

                Thanks for that Kevin. I will give that a shot when I can devote a bit of time to this and report back. Most helpful Kevin.

                • 5. Re: Davinci Resolve 9 Lite with Premiere Pro CS6 XML error
                  Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

                  steadistone wrote:

                   

                  Thanks for that Kevin. I will give that a shot when I can devote a bit of time to this and report back. Most helpful Kevin.

                   

                  No problem. I think the key is that no one thinks to start off in Resolve to create proxies. Most people rush headlong into the editing process. Please report back if you have any trouble.