2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2013 8:46 AM by JJMack

ratio 2:3 and 4:3

steenmikkelsen2

photoshop cs5

My image is 2800 pixels wide, and I must find the height in the ratio 2:3 and 4:3 ratio. how do I find out my height in the picture?

Is there a standard feature in Photoshop, which makes it possible to create a "new"  image in the circumstances 2:3 and 4:3,

or can I use the "Rectangular Marquee tool / Fixed size" to make a Selecting the situation 2:3 or 4:3?

adobe forum -0006.jpg

• 1. Re: ratio 2:3 and 4:3
          Noel Carboni Level 8

Choose the Rectangular Marquee tool.  Then set the Fixed Ratio option in the options bar, enter the ratio you want, make your selection, and Image - Crop, or maybe Edit - Copy.

CS5_Marquee_Fixed_Ratio.PNG

With Photoshop CS6 the Crop Tool now knows how to do a fixed ratio as well.

-Noel

• 2. Re: ratio 2:3 and 4:3
            JJMack Most Valuable Participant

The image you posted has a Odd aspect ratio 1021:602 because 1021 is odd and 602 is even I do not know if the aspect ratio can fractured in whole numbers lower.  It is between a 16:10 Computer aspect ratio and a 16:9 HDTV aspect ratio.  As you can see by entering 16 in the Image Size dialog width with resample not checked.  You also see the top section has the 1021:602 aspect ratio.  You also can see a centered 16:9 ellipse selection set.  This selection was set using a Plug-in I wrote for Photoshop based on Photoshop Fit Image Plug-in code.  The name of my Plug-in is "Aspect Ratio Selection"  this Plug-in can set Rectangle and elliptical Selection and Paths the match the documents orientation Landscape or Portrait that are centered or from the top left corner. What is good about Plug-ins is that you can record using them in an action. When the Plug-in is being recorded in an action the plug-in recordes the setting used in its dialog during the recording into the action's step.  When the Action is played the Action step passes the recorded setting to the Plug-in and if the step's dialog is not turned on the plug-in bypasses displaying its dialog and uses the setting passed by the action. So the fit image plug-in can be used to fit image into a pixel area for a web page. My plugin can be use to set path and selection that can be used by the action for cropping, setting vignette areas, creating shape etc. any aspect ratio 3:2, 4:3, 16:9 1:1 etc.

OddAspectRatio.jpgARS.jpg

A Shape

Shape.png