• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Controlling the Navigation Pane from Topic links

Participant ,
Mar 18, 2013 Mar 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've followed Rick Stone's instructions (in his Skinny on Skins tips file) for controlling the navigation pane from topic links, but I've included the reference to whtbar.js in my Master Page (as I want it to be available to all my topics) instead of in a single topic in my WebHelp output. It works fine, however, I'm experiencing a page flicker whenever I click a link which opens the TOC, Index, Glossary, etc. Does anyone know if this can be avoided?

Thanks

Jonathan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 20, 2013 Mar 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jonathan,

Has the method we created broken?

If I'm not mistaken, the page flicker occurs because whtbar.js reloads a page when the navigation pane is shown. Not much to do about that in this method.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Willam

No your method still works fine thanks (without any page flicker). However, it only opens and closes the navigation pane. What I've been playing around with is the idea of hiding the standard WebHelp toolbar by setting its height to zero in the .SKN and then creating my own toolbar in a Master Page that controls the navigation pane, i.e. with Home, Contents, Index, Search, and Glossary links. That way I have more control over how the toolbar looks and, for example, I can use some script to power drop-down menus, etc. I've been looking at using the Bootstrap framework.

I seems to work okay, apart form the annoying page flicker when I use the links in my custom toolbar.

Oh well, maybe I'm trying to push the boundaries a little too far?!

Thanks anyway,

Jonathan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds to me like you want the power of the new HTML5 options in RoboHelp 10. With the widgets you have TOC, IDX and GLO but you are completely free in how the output should work.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to look into that then.

Thanks

Jonathan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 25, 2013 Mar 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Willam, wondered if you could help?

Your Show/Hide method for displaying DHTML Hotspots uses this "<script type="text/javascript">addShowHideAllLinks();</script>" in a table cell. However, how do I get in it to trigger on a button? I've tried this "<button> <script type="text/javascript">addShowHideAllLinks();</script> </button>" but it doesn't work.

Thanks

Jonathan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Try this on buttons, images, etc:

<button onclick="addShowHideAllLinks()" />

Or in a hyperlink:

<a href="javascript:addShowHideAllLinks()">Show/Hide</a>

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, I've tried both those methods but no joy. My WebHelp just displays a blank topic pane as soon as I click the button or link.

Nevermind, thanks anyway.

Jonathan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp