3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2013 2:35 PM by charlie@carehart.org

RDS and SSL

axel_at

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to configure a CF Environment using Adobe ColdFusion10 on my Mac Mini running Lion Server and on the client site CF Builder 2.0 on my MB Pro running Mountain Lion 10.8.3. My Webserver uses a self-created root certificate for SSL connection. Simple .cfm files I copied to the webroot manually are as well displayed as any other .html or .php sites uploaded to the server (which I assume means that the connector is working properly). Also the CF Administrator Website is working fine using the https:// connection at port 443.

The main problem I'm constantly running into is, that when I'm trying to configure a remote server in CF Builder (… defining port 443 for SSL connection) the status of the configured server is "Running" when the option for RDS "Enable SSL" is disabled. When I try to connect to the sample databases in the "RDS Dataview" with this settings I get the following message:

An error has occurred. See error log for more details.

For input string: "<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">

<html><head>

<title>400 Bad Request</title>

</head><body>

<h1>Bad Request</h1>

<p>Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.<br />

Reason

When I'm enabling the SSL option the server status suddenly turns to "Stopped". The RDS Dataviewer prompts the following message:

"peer not authenticated"

So I'm absolutely stuck here and don't know what to do or where to start solving this problem. Probably somebody can help me out here. Any advice is highly appreciated.

Best greeting from Tyrol Austria

Axel

• 1. Re: RDS and SSL
          charlie@carehart.org Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I’d recommend you look first at your Apache log on the server to see the requests being sent to the server, under both situations, and confirm both that they get where you expect, and also if the log may show any more details about what’s going on. The request will be to /CFIDE/main/ide.cfm.

Then look also at the CF 10 request log. Many don’t realize it’s there, but yes all requests handled by CF10 are logged additionally in a log in \[instance]|cfusion\runtime\logs as localhost_access_log.yyyy-mm-dd.txt. And yes, the calls via RDS to that main.ide.cfm will also be logged there. If not, then they’re not even getting to cf (which may point to an issue with Apache).

Of course, there is also a possible problem from your client side, perhaps either something in CFB itself, or something in your local machine firewall, or a network one. I don’t use a Mac, but I know on Windows there are tools that can watch all communications from the client out to the server and back. You may see something amiss in the communications, if in fact you somehow don’t find the expected requests being logged on the server.

Let us know if that helps.

/charlie

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: RDS and SSL
            axel_at Level 1

Hi Charlie,

thanks for your quick response and your advice! As it turned out, the server isn't receiving any requests according to the "apache_log"-file when the option "use SSL" within the RDS configuration is enabled. I know that configuring SSL irrespective of the application is always a bit tricky, so I decided to setup the environment without using SSL for now. So for that reason I enabled SSL on Lion Server and I'm using port 80 from now on.

The Apache log files are now recording the single requests, as well as the CF request .txt logfile. (by the way thanks for that, I didn't know that CF is logging the requests too).

Unfortunately another problem I wasn't able to solve by now has occurred. RDS started prompting this error message (at least it is a different one now ! ;))

"Unable to connect the RDS Server "cfusion".

Could not initialize class com.adobe.rds.core.services.Messages"

I found a blog entry at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4233616 on that issue and followed the single steps but unfortunately that didn't work for me. When I try to open the RDS Dataview, the Apache error_log file is prompting the following line:

"[Wed Mar 20 19:00:00 2013] [error] [client 85.124.13.200] File does not exist: /Applications/ColdFusion10/cfusion/wwwroot/CFIDE/main"

The Apache access-log is prompting:

"85.124.13.200 - - [20/Mar/2013:19:20:24 +0100] "POST /CFIDE/main/ide.cfm?CFSRV=IDE&ACTION=DBFUNCS HTTP/1.1" 404 348 "-" "Mozilla/3.0 (compatible; Macromedia RDS Client)"

Do you know what the problem might be?

Thanks for your help

Axel

• 3. Re: RDS and SSL
              charlie@carehart.org Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Axel, sorry I lost track of this thread until now.

As for your last question, what happens if you visit that URL (/CFIDE/main/ide.cfm )on your server via a browser? You should get a 405 status code, saying “HTTP method GET is not supported by this URL”. If you get anything else, then there is some other configuration problem that’s blocking its working (if indeed RDS is enabled in the CF instance).

/charlie

PS It’s “Charlie”, not “Charly”.