3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2013 1:08 PM by Dov Isaacs

Data Merge File RIP Times at Print?

JITLLC

I am trying to find a way to reduce my printing RIP times at the printer when using Data Merge. I am new to InDesign CS6. In the past, I have used ID CS2. I was using the XmPie Standard plugin for CS2. I have yet to see if it is compatible. However, I prefer to stay away from it due to Data merge has fewer, but much more simple, and user friendly options. Most of my jobs require a static image in the background. A letter with variable address block, and an indicia. When it gets to my printer it takes forever to print one copy due to the processing. In the past I had an option to make a VPS file. VPS files RIP considerably faster. For example, When printing 10 records of a 4x6 postcard 9 up on a sheet of paper in a cut and stack imposition, that has a 615 kb file size. It took 2 minutes to RIP and Print 2 sheets of paper, normally this is instant. Multiply that times 500, 5000 and 10,000 records. I am gonna be waiting long periods of time to print the job. Are there better ways to merge, export, or print the parameters that are casuing these jobs to be so large at the Printer. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Data Merge File RIP Times at Print?
          Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

If you are already using the XMPie product and you are now on the latest version of InDesign (CS6 = 8), then you must upgrade your XMPie product as well. InDesign plug-ins are exceptionally InDesign version-specific. Furthermore, XMPie's products have advanced tremendously even over the last year. The current version (6.0.2) now supports output of PDF/VT-1, as ISO standard version of PDF based on PDF/X-4 that yields exceptionally compact, high performance (for RIPing at the printer) PDF files. Assuming you are using a reasonably current RIP for your digital printer that directly consumes PDF (as opposed to those that convert PDF to PostScript first) using technology such as the Adobe PDF Print Engine 2.6, PDF/VT-1 files from the combination of InDesign and XMPie can yield RIP throughput measured in hundreds of pages per minute.

- Dov

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Data Merge File RIP Times at Print?
            JITLLC Level 1

Is it possible to print the PDF to Distiller to achieve the PDF/VT-1?

• 3. Re: Data Merge File RIP Times at Print?
              Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

Absolutely not.

(1)     PDF/VT-1 files must also be PDF/X-4 files. The “create PDF via distillation of PostScript” method precludes this since PostScript supports neither live transparency nor color management.

(2)     The efficiencies of PDF/VT-1 require use of Forms XOjects and Image XObjects in the PDF file. That requires direct PDF creation that you get from PDF export. This is not available via any route that uses stink'in PostScript as an intermediary.

(3)     Adobe most strongly endorses PDF creation from InDesign via the export function, not printing to PostScript and distilling. Such PostScript is optimized strictly for printing and not for PDF file creation.

- Dov

1 person found this helpful