7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 20, 2013 10:56 AM by J. Simon RSS

"Return to Last Menu" not respecting Loop Point

Brad L.

I have DVD (SD WS) project all finished with Main Menu, 3 Scenes Menus and a Extras Menu. Everything is working except for one thing. I have all manor of End Actions and Menu Remote settings (and read dozens of discussions) but cannot get it.

I have animated Main Menu with loop point. The problem is if Menu Remote is hit after Play from the main menu I want it to go to loop point. But if Menu Remote is hit after a scene has been selected, I want it to Return to Last Menu. It will work everywhere except from the main play. Apparently, Return to Last Menu (Timeline Properties) ignores the loop point and starts it over from the beginning. If I use Specifiy Link, Return to Loop point it will work for the main play but it also makes all scene selections return there as well. It seems I can't have it both ways, Main Menu Play -> Menu Button hit, return to Loop Point AND Scene Selection play -> Menu Button hit, Return to Last Menu.

As an added step to remove the main play from the main Timeline, I add a Chapter Play list. But that really didn't help as the culprit seems to be the [Menu Remote: "Return to Last Menu"] setting for the main timeline, it always starts over not a the loop point.

What is the best way to do this? This is really simple navigation stuff and would be the way, it seems, for most DVD's with Play All and Scene Selections. The only option I see that would work is to have two timelines, one for Play (All), and one for Scene Selections so I could have different "Menu Remote" settings. Obviously, I cant't have two main movies just to do this. Creating the Chapter Playlist seemed like it was potentially the answer, but there still remains only one "Menu Remote" property of the Main Timeline.

My deadline is today or tomorrow since I am waiting on SCC file for Closed Captioning. I have previously used DVD Studio Pro without this issue but really want to commit to using Encore from now on...

Thanks for reading through this and helping if you can.

Brad

• 1. Re: "Return to Last Menu" not respecting Loop Point
          J. Simon Community Member

You can specify only one Menu command for any given timeline.  You can't make it do different things depending on how you got to the timeline.

However, you can specify that a chapter automatically goes back to a menu when it's done playing by setting an Override on the chapter button.

• 2. Re: "Return to Last Menu" not respecting Loop Point
            Brad L. Community Member

Thanks, Jim.

As you suggested, I can't set Override for Chapter unless I first set Chapter "End Action". If I do set End Action, I have to set it to the Next Chapter mark but as you know that can cause a glitch or pause between Chapters (this is a concert straight through, i.e. no fade to blacks). Nonetheless, I set it as such and used an Override set to the Main Menu Loop point (Specify Link, etc.) and it didn't help. What it does at the end of 'playing' is not my problem, Hitting the 'Menu Button' is. That always obeys the Timeline Menu Button setting, i.e. Return to Last Menu, that being the Main Menu at this point but ignoring the loop point and starting at the beginning.

Is there a way to make "Return to Last Menu"go to the loop point not the beginning? If not then how could I prevent user from hitting menu button from Main Play return to the wrong place (animation beginning) without also screwing up when he hits menu during Scene Selection. There has to be a way, otherwise animated menus would not be viable.

Can I have two Timelines with the same media but not double the space taken up on the DVD? I could set one for Menu Returns to Main Loop point the other to Last Menu.

What about XML or some other way? How has anyone ever made an animated Menu with Loop point work well with Main Menu and Scene Selection Menus. This seems like basic DVD 101.

How would you set it up? I have tried dozens of combinations and the best is the way I have it now, No Chapter End Actions, and Return to Last Menu for the Timeline Menu Button Property. Just hate to force user to sit through the intro animation every time they hit Menu Button from the Main Menu Play. This shouldn't be that hard...

• 3. Re: "Return to Last Menu" not respecting Loop Point

I can't set Override for Chapter unless I first set Chapter "End Action".

You set an End Action on the Timeline, and the Override on the Chapter Buttons.

• 4. Re: "Return to Last Menu" not respecting Loop Point
                Brad L. Community Member

I want it to continue playing the rest of the Timeline not stop at end of Chapter.

• 5. Re: "Return to Last Menu" not respecting Loop Point
                  Brad L. Community Member

Jim Simon wrote:

I can't set Override for Chapter unless I first set Chapter "End Action".

You set an End Action on the Timeline, and the Override on the Chapter Buttons.

I can't. All the Chapter Overrides are greyed out unless you set Chapter End action. I do have a Timeline End Action - Return to Last Menu.

Encore Override.png

• 6. Re: "Return to Last Menu" not respecting Loop Point
                    Stan Jones MVP

You are trying to set the override on the chapter. He is suggesting you set it on the button that links to the items you want the override on (timeline or chapter).

• 7. Re: "Return to Last Menu" not respecting Loop Point

Stan's right.  The chapter button.  Not the timeline, not the chapter, the BUTTON - on the menu.

BUTTON, BUTTON, BUTTON.